Oklahoma Public Waterfowl not open after 1pm?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, my brother and I are heading to Oklahoma for a sandhill crane hunt in November. The outfitter does morning crane hunts and my brother and I want to hunt ducks/geese in the afternoon. But when researching public spots to waterfowl hunt, we came across a portion of the Oklahoma DNR website that says WDUs are only open til 1pm???

Some WDUs are also listed as WMAs and I'm curious if:

1. Are all public spots closed at 1pm for waterfowl?
2. Are WDUs the same as WMAs? If not, can I hunt the WMAs after 1pm?
3. If these WMAs are the same as WDUs, anyone know of some other public land spots for waterfowl?

I plan on calling the local biologists that they list, but was surprised by this when I saw it. I get it, they don't want people shooting up roosts and loafing spots, but are there any open public spots after 1pm?

okcaveman

FNG
Yes. But for the best info, call the hunting contact listed for the areas. That'll be the area biologist. They will have the best info for their respective areas

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. But for the best info, call the hunting contact listed for the areas. That'll be the area biologist. They will have the best info for their respective areas

When you say, "Yes" you are saying that public land waterfowl is closed at 1pm on WDUs and WPAs in Oklahoma?

Not all public land closes at 1. Only the select WDU units do. Most of the WMA's are open until sunset. Download the wildlife department app and they will have maps for each unit and the rules associated with those.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Only the WDU’s are closed after 1. Where you are headed there is probably not a ton of public.

Well there some that are WDUs are also listed as WMAs....? How is that possible?

I noticed in some of the map keys there are areas within the WMA that are deemed as "WDUs...?

So does that mean that those WDU areas of the WMA are off limits, but the rest of the WMA is open for hunting?