off road campers

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've thought about this same topic for a couple years now. Really, pretty much any commercially available RV, even if comes with off-road tires and looks "rugged", is made out of the cheapest materials possible for the cost and to minimize weight. I keep telling myself whats it going to look like after 5 years of use? If you live in suburbia like I do, then you'll have to also pay to store it, winterize it, likely have to pay various maintenance related bills each year. Seems like cost of ownership could really stack up quick.
The approach that I've started down is this. I bought an M101a2 trailer from a government auction about 3 years ago. I paid $450 dollars for the trailer, and its in great shape. If you look at what guys are doing with these things on expeditionportal.com, its pretty impressive! I haven't done much with mine yet. I've converted the lights to 12V, which was simple, put new tires on it and repacked the bearings and topped off the brake fluid. I am planning on painting it to non-military colors, something that will kind of match my truck. I want to set it up with on-board water/hot water and pump, and a couple deep cycle batteries and solar setup, so Ive got power. What we do now is organize all our camping gear in lockable weather-proof bins and use the trailer to transport. I've got the 10 person turbo tent (which I love!), Mr. Buddy tent heater for when its cold, shower tent, nice tables, chairs, cots for everyone, lights, cooking setup, etc. etc. Big benefit is my wife enjoys camping with me now because we can bring all the amenities of home. It really doesn't take too much to set stuff up. I can have camp set up in 30 minutes probably. Another big benefit, the trailer is small enough that it fits into my garage perpendicular to our vehicles, so we can store it and still park. All-in-all, its been super handy to own, and it hardly cost anything. Now, I dont feel guilty about buying high end camping equipment and I just remind the wife how much I saved by NOT buying an RV :p

Shraggs

WKR
Micro-lite trailers in Indiana. The cargo Lite extreme is my goal. Have an kz ezpree mini toy hauler I use for Midwest deer hunting and family camping. It's ok but full size front is a pain to tow long trips. That micro Lite tows very well and is all aluminum loaded out with everything but a toilet.

jjd

FNG
This is a whole world in of itself.. In fact entire forums are dedicated to it. Expedition Portal is my favorite place to ogle some amazing builds.
The whole #vanlife concept is really catching on. Would love to see Sunrader pick back up on their 1980s design and make some new ones on the Toyota Hilux.... : )
Something like this on an updated Truck would be pretty amazing....
BEAUTIFUL RESTORED 1990 TOYOTA SUNRADER - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Here is another example
https://expeditionportal.com/la-aduana-1987-4x4-toyota-turbo-sunrader/

3cd7e6d367d3368a934e7fdd120efcc6.png

These 4x4 chinooks are pretty sweet too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone suggest me some options if I want to set up an off road camper trailer complete with solar panels. I want to set up an off grid system for long travels. I am having a hard time finding affordable ones.

How long are you planning to be without access to power, and how much stuff do you want to run?

I put a pair of 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries in my trailer, hooked up to a marine charger, fuse block, and 600w inverter. I have a pair of 12v led interior lights and am adding a roof vent fan. I can run that stuff and charge phones, camera batteries, etc, for a couple weeks.

That’s plenty for my needs, and a day at a campground or buddies house will top it off again. I can charge it via a standard extension cord, no special hookups required.

I've thought about this same topic for a couple years now. Really, pretty much any commercially available RV, even if comes with off-road tires and looks "rugged", is made out of the cheapest materials possible for the cost and to minimize weight. I keep telling myself whats it going to look like after 5 years of use? If you live in suburbia like I do, then you'll have to also pay to store it, winterize it, likely have to pay various maintenance related bills each year. Seems like cost of ownership could really stack up quick.
The approach that I've started down is this. I bought an M101a2 trailer from a government auction about 3 years ago. I paid $450 dollars for the trailer, and its in great shape. If you look at what guys are doing with these things on expeditionportal.com, its pretty impressive! I haven't done much with mine yet. I've converted the lights to 12V, which was simple, put new tires on it and repacked the bearings and topped off the brake fluid. I am planning on painting it to non-military colors, something that will kind of match my truck. I want to set it up with on-board water/hot water and pump, and a couple deep cycle batteries and solar setup, so Ive got power. What we do now is organize all our camping gear in lockable weather-proof bins and use the trailer to transport. I've got the 10 person turbo tent (which I love!), Mr. Buddy tent heater for when its cold, shower tent, nice tables, chairs, cots for everyone, lights, cooking setup, etc. etc. Big benefit is my wife enjoys camping with me now because we can bring all the amenities of home. It really doesn't take too much to set stuff up. I can have camp set up in 30 minutes probably. Another big benefit, the trailer is small enough that it fits into my garage perpendicular to our vehicles, so we can store it and still park. All-in-all, its been super handy to own, and it hardly cost anything. Now, I dont feel guilty about buying high end camping equipment and I just remind the wife how much I saved by NOT buying an RV :p

I’m considering adding one of these sprayers to my cargo trailer as a self-contained 12v running water setup.

15 Gallon Spot Sprayer 12 Volt

Northern carries larger ones, but it could easily be refilled with a pair of those 7 gallon Aqua-trainer jugs.

This is the route I’ll go for hot water since it uses the same 1 lb propane canisters my stove and lantern do.

Zip Instant Hot Shower | Zodi.com

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
thanks everybody for the feedback. One difficult thing is trying to find a dealership that actually has some to look at in my area (Sacramento, CA). I'm trying to find out if there are any tradeshows or conventions that specialize in these products.

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Just build your own. My boys and I built one for his High School Senior Welding project. He built the frame and then we just built the rest. Cost was about $3k. No it’s nothing fancy but it’s a nice place to sleep and has a small area in back for some kitchen and camping supplies.

58ea5791e14505e44a300acbcbd0d019.jpg

61f494a875323e8cd158612a69d50c18.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk