Ochoco 2021 Archery

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
First time poster but long time lurker. This board has been a huge resource for me over the past two years and I really appreciate all of the knowledge. This is my second season elk hunting, last year was spent in Idaho in the Salmon river unit with a mentor/fishing buddy. I’m a small business owner in central Oregon and consequently traveling far to hunt or take more than a few days off at a time aren't in the cards for me this year. I drew a Ochoco tag and am familiar with people’s criticisms of the management and decline of the area from searching past posts about the unit. However it’s close enough for me to make some kamikaze scouting trips this summer and be able to make several trips throughout the month long season. I plan on backpack hunting and trying to exploit as much of the wilderness areas as possible and some of the steeper less road accessible areas. If anyone has any information they’re willing to share I’d be very grateful. I’ve been putting in time looking at maps, taking notes and am heading out to look at the country next week. Thanks

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would go to Irish.net - in the hunting forum. It’s an Oregon hunting forum with lots of locals.

Ive hunted deer in the ochocos a lot but never elk. I know some dudes hunt right on the edge of private near some big ranches. Like most of this part of Oregon, the bulls head for private once people start driving around.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tip on Ifish, I was unfamiliar

I’ve heard similar things regarding private boundaries from ODFW office

Really appreciate the help!

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much the same as most OR units. Too many roads to make backpack/backcountry worth it. Good genetics, but the best/smartest bulls stay close to private during the rut. Doesn't mean they can't be killed on public tho ;)

mlgc20

WKR
I used to live in the Ochoco unit and have been all over it in some shape or form. Agree with what's been said about getting off the road. The number of road hunters there will blow your mind. Even during archery season. No need to backcountry camp unless you just want to. There will be a lot of camps setup out there. So, have numerous backup plans based on where parties setup camps.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all of the responses. I had thought the road closures took affect earlier in the season but evidently nothing shuts down until after archery season.

Do any of you have experience hunting the Black Canyon area?

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all of the responses. I had thought the road closures took affect earlier in the season but evidently nothing shuts down until after archery season.

Do any of you have experience hunting the Black Canyon area?
Do you have horses? That’s fork and knife country lol. But I’ve always wanted to hunt it. All I know is the road hunters around the peak drive everything into that wilderness. We watch deer and elk bomb into it during deer rifle. It would be an awesome hunt if you had a horse and could just hunt through it.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have horses? That’s fork and knife country lol. But I’ve always wanted to hunt it. All I know is the road hunters around the peak drive everything into that wilderness. We watch deer and elk bomb into it during deer rifle. It would be an awesome hunt if you had a horse and could just hunt through it.
Fork and knife country? I don’t have horses, didn’t realize it’s that gnarly of an area.

Man you guys should keep talking specific spots on a forum with many thousands of members. Not cool.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
The area discussed is hardly specific considering it’s size and prominence in the unit. Wasn’t my intention to burn a spot or cause any issues. Sorry for the poor form

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Fork and knife country? I don’t have horses, didn’t realize it’s that gnarly of an area.
Fork and knife country. If you shoot something down there you better bring a fork and knife to eat it cause your not getting it out without a horse.(or so I’ve been told , never hunted down in the wilderness)

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The area discussed is hardly specific considering it’s size and prominence in the unit. Wasn’t my intention to burn a spot or cause any issues. Sorry for the poor form
It’s the ochoco unit. The fish and game give out something like 3000 buck tags for that unit. It’s there unit they consider to be an “opportunity” unit AKA - a unit to make money off of and sacrifice game numbers. It sucks. Very mismanaged.