Obsidian Tool?

I was hunting a new area yesterday and found a piece of obsidian and was wondering if it's likely a tool or arrowhead? Someone who has some experience knapping could probably tell if this was formed by man?

It is an an area when Mule deer historically winter and there were(are still) Native Americans nearby.

3e7f02594a244f7f349331039f131e4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the size of it, it was percussion flaked ( knapped) it could have been a blade for skinning. It looks like the lower part was sharpened. It doesn't look like a point, maybe part of one. How big is it ? Anyhow, it's cool ! and probably SHARP !

OP
748f17c61a93300c1bd05a1992fd2635.jpg

Thanks for the replies. It was found on a trail that's been so heavy used by bears this year that they have begun to trench out the soil on the steep sections. I had a bear at 11.1 yards about 15 minutes after finding this in the disturbed soil.

Could just be a rock but I was hoping it was an omen (prob was I just screwed up the 11.1 yard opportunity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ethan4895

FNG
Yes that peace of Obsidian looks more of a tool instead of a Arrowhead

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
What I remember from my anthropology classes in college was that obsidian was used as a multi-tool of sorts. Pieces would break off of one tool and then be knapped into another as needed. This would happen continuously as an animal was butchered too, kind like resharpening your knife or changing blades on your Havalon. My guess is that piece, which has definitely been worked, was used several times for several different purposes. Maybe it reached the end of its useable life or was lost. That is my best guess. I find a lot of those little pieces where I hunt, and my buddy found a perfect Clovis point a few years back.

Looks like an "Ulu" style knife. I have found several like it over the years that were a bit more defined in shape.

oldgoat

WKR
There are some good videos on YouTube by Shawn Woods on primitive tools and techniques, and then also look for videos on Otzi the iceman and his tools. Gumbo nailed it I believe!