Oatmeal

Finch

WKR
I'm thinking about taking some instant oatmeal packets on my hunt for breakfast. Do you guys have some sort of bowl you put it in or what?

OP
Brandon Pattison
I usually eat it out of my jetboil and then just add water and make coffee. Guzzle that then make EmergenC and smash that.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I love oatmeal too. In instant form Quaker seems to be the best. I buy the 5 minute original and add fresh fruit with cinnamon or go with butter and brown sugar. It always fills me up and is very easy to make. I might have to try some of that steel cut stuff. It is just such a versatile breakfast food. You can really just add whatever you like to it. I bet bacon would go good with the bown sugar and maple instant or my brown sugar and butter. Hmm......

Brado16

WKR
I'm thinking about taking some instant oatmeal packets on my hunt for breakfast. Do you guys have some sort of bowl you put it in or what?

I prepackage my oatmeal and granola in small ziplock bags and add fruit, nuts, etc and some dehydrated milk. Each morning I will boil 16 ounces of water with my jetboil (about 4-6 ounces goes to my oatmeal, the balance is used for coffee). I pour the hot water into the ziplock bag and eat directly from the ziplock bag, but place the bag into the bottom cover of my jetboil- that way im not holding a hot bag and if the bag leaks, it leaks into the jetboil cover, not my hand or sleeping bag.

bwlacy

WKR
I tried protein powder that was vanilla flavored and wasn't a fan. I prefer 2 packs of maple and brown sugar instant, 1/4 cup Nido powdered milk, and 1/4 cup of pecans. Put that all in a Ziploc freezer bag, add hot water, mix and eat. Fairly high calories and carbs and I don't mind the taste.

Now don't go off at this idea, but I make mine with Quaker Instant Oatmeal, a snack size box of raisins, and some chopped up bacon or your favorite variety of "bacon bits". It's a sweet and savory kind of mix and I like it.

I'm also a big fan of an oatmeal cookie with raisins and other additions for a quick and nutritious breakfast in the field.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I always bring oatmeal and/or granola for breakfast. If granola, i premix it with powdered milk and have each protion in a ziplock bag. For oateal I like the quaker instant packs of apple cinimon flavor. If i can't get those I mix oatmeal, powdered milk, sugar and maybe dried cranberries in a ziplock so it's ready for hotwater each morning. I use the GSI nesting mug/bowl combo and love it. For the 3.3 ounce penalty I get an insulated mug with lid for my coffee that nests nicely in a bowl for my meals. I don't like to get my pot dirty so I just use it for boiling water. With the mug and bowl I can have my coffee and granola at the same time without ever getting my cooking pot dirty. I also like to have coffee or hot chocolate at night with dinner or after dinner so I use the mug and bowl a lot.

16Bore

WKR
This brand has a foil lined pouch that's stout enough to eat out of. Throw in a small pack of Justins Almond butter and you are good to go...

unm1136

WKR
For those of you loving steel cut, you may want to experiment at home and try soaking your oats in the water (cold) overnight, and then bring it to a boil in the morning. Some grains this works for. Another dirty trick a friend taught me was cook grains 80% of the way, and then chill them. It is one the ways you can get risotto in a restaurant in less than 25 minutes. Once cooked 80% of the way, drying it, packaging it, and adding boiling water to a freezerbag should work. Again, I am spitballing here, but I am using experience with other grains/recipes to springboard off of to get here. I don't have any tags this year, so I doubt I will be experimenting during the 11.5 month buildup to hunting season.

Another one that I am frequently guilty of is mixing breakfast grains with coffee, tea, or cocoa. Fewer utensils to clean, and it all gets mixed up the same eventually anyway.

pat

rodney482

WKR
I just pour hot water in the paper pack.. Also works as a hand warmer

Muttly

WKR
Big fan Bob,s Red Mill old fashioned oatmeal, usually get into it every weekend. When I was doing a run from Anchorage to Seattle on a regular basis, pretty much living in a Kenworth, most of the time breakfast was yogurt with protein powder and muesli dumped in..

argyle1

FNG
I love oatmeal packets as a base for meals when I'm mountain hunting and wieght is an issue. Then I generally add a handful of jerky and some huckleberries or blue berries. I don't like to boil it directly in the jet boil tho, as I don't like having to clean the jetboil. A used MH packet works well for that