NY to Colorado with Glock 20 for cat/bear protection while bow hunting

THESOLKID

FNG
Curious to know if there’s anything special I need to do in order to travel with a Glock 20 from NY to Colorado. NY permit is target/hunting. Don’t want to get to the airport for departure to learn that I can’t take the handgun. It will be packed per TSA rules alongside my bow, bullets also secured per TSA rules.

Thanks in advance.

PassCreek

FNG
Colorado has a magazine limit of 15 rounds. Normal Glock 20 mags or 10 rounders should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once in Colorado you can’t have a mag with a capacity over 15 rounds but we don’t have any regs mandating a heavy trigger pull or a tool needed for mag release. You will be arriving in Denver county which is a no open carry county along with Boulder county (you might touch it depending on where your going), not sure about Broomfield county. I’m not going to mess up our laws on transporting a firearm so please do your research on that. Once out hunting you can’t use it to mercy kill, let time take it’s course or use another arrow. Since you won’t be using to harvest game then the barrel length regs don’t apply to you either.

I guess what I’m saying is that if you get asked questions about it don’t say “I’m bringing for hunting” because it won’t be a legal method of take, simply say “for personal protection”. I doubt you’ll get questioned but it is the tsa.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be honest, no disrespect intended. But in no way would I trust strangers on the internet with the possibility of me committing a crime because I did not do my own due diligence to know both the laws of each state I will be entering/exiting and the rules and regulations of TSA.

With that said I would put a lot of effort and research. Once you think you have all the info maybe come back and double check that you did not miss something.

Just my 2 cents I would hate to see an innocent gun owner get hammered for making a mistake.

Thumbs up for the Glock 20 though, love mine.

Rob5589

WKR
I am going to be honest, no disrespect intended. But in no way would I trust strangers on the internet with the possibility of me committing a crime because I did not do my own due diligence to know both the laws of each state I will be entering/exiting and the rules and regulations of TSA.

With that said I would put a lot of effort and research. Once you think you have all the info maybe come back and double check that you did not miss something.

Just my 2 cents I would hate to see an innocent gun owner get hammered for making a mistake.

Thumbs up for the Glock 20 though, love mine.
Agreed. Check the TSA website, it has clear instructions on travel with firearms. I would also check the departure location as well to see what if any extra regulations they may have. It is NY after all. Also double check any lay over locations for specific firearms regulations.

If you leave from one of the NYC area airports, the port authority police will come to the check in counter and inspect the gun and run it and yoI through a check. They will stay there until it goes through TSA X-ray. Make sure you have your premises or ownership permit with you. Ammo must be in a separate checked bag. No loaded mags. In a box. Make sure your mags are NY compliant. They get weird about handguns. Less so about long guns of a hunting nature. In addition to the pain in the ass, it can add 30-45 mins to the check in.

upstate varies from what I understand but no direct experience.

EdP

WKR
Also check the regs in any state in which you have a connecting flight. If you have a flight cancellation in a state in which you are not compliant (Illinois for example), DO NOT take posession of the item of luggage containing your firearm. Immediately contact the airline and have them hold it for you.

Mikido

WKR
If you’re an NYC resident with the NYC Premise Handgun License (most common one), you should be fine flying. Call 1 police plaza to confirm.

If you don’t have the NYC license, don’t even think about flying through NYC.

Erict

WKR
There are seven categories of NYS Pistol Permits. Yours is a Concealed Carry Permit (it's the only with the option for hunting/target restrictions).

US Concealed Carry laws is a well kept and updated resource where you might find answers. NY does not honor ANY other state handgun permits. This affects you in some states that you travel to, such as CO. Look into whether you would be mandated to OPEN carry, as opposed to CONCEALED.

99% of your worries will be at the airports. Good luck

PS - Now that the Supreme Court ruled against NY, saying in part that restrictions are not legal, I would contact your county PP office to get your restrictions removed from your PP so it is "full concealed carry".

beignet

FNG
You have a permit to own a handgun in NYC or are you coming from elsewhere in the state? As a former resident of NYC and having dealt with the nonsense of just owning some old Fudd bolt guns in that town, there's no way in hell I'd take a handgun through an airport in NYC. I'm sure that there's a way to make it all legal and good with your NYS pistol permit, but I'd still leave it at home.

As stated by others above, internet forums are probably not the place to inquire about a question that could land you in court. Check with Port Authority police, TSA, and your airline.