NV Archery Antelope tag

So I drew a unit 31 archery tag in NV and I’m trying to get an idea on what the water situation will be like there during this hunt. With the area already being in a drought this year I’m thinking the watering holes are going to be few and far between? Will this be good though for hunting as less watering holes would push more lopes to the few remaining spots? There isn’t a lot of tags being given out, but will hunting pressure be heavy at these locations? If anyone has any insight and would like to share I’m all ears, or if there is something else I haven’t listed feel free say so. Direct messages work also.

I’m in WA so the chances of me doing a scouting trip is slim.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The water situation will be interesting this year. I know they just got a little rain the other night and are supposed to get a little more in the extended forecast. I will be a little west/southwest of you in 12-14. That desert country is know for getting a few thunderstorms throughout the summer. hopefully it will be enough that everyone is not crowding each other. I think with the number of tags for your unit you will be fine with finding some water to your self. Good luck.

OP
M
The water situation will be interesting this year. I know they just got a little rain the other night and are supposed to get a little more in the extended forecast. I will be a little west/southwest of you in 12-14. That desert country is know for getting a few thunderstorms throughout the summer. hopefully it will be enough that everyone is not crowding each other. I think with the number of tags for your unit you will be fine with finding some water to your self. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Good luck to you as well.

Groin

FNG
31 has some ag fields with quite a few guzzlers in the hills surrounding it. That is where I would concentrate. NDOW sells a book with all the guzzler locations, or the OnX maps have them as well.

OP
M
31 has some ag fields with quite a few guzzlers in the hills surrounding it. That is where I would concentrate. NDOW sells a book with all the guzzler locations, or the OnX maps have them as well.

Don’t know how I missed this post. Thanks for the info I’ll look into the book and Onx.

Love this feature in OnX!

OP
M
Anyone local to this area have any update on water conditions. I know that area is in a drought. Have any monsoons started working through the area yet, or is it still to early for that? Thanks in advance

Pueblo

FNG
I was in the areas south of 031 last weekend doing some deer scouting, and then drove by 031 on the way home. In the mountains that I scouted the creeks and water holes were pretty healthy, and the slopes were greener than usual. Lots of thunderstorms had and were moving though.

In units with mountains, like 031, there is reliable water at high elevations. You'll find far more pronghorn at the tops of basins in the mountains than you will in the flats. Yes, some good herds will park near crops, but access to them can be impossible, and approaching them difficult and the water holes can be on private. I hunt the Oregon side of those mountains for deer most years, and I see more pronghorn bucks than mulies up top. They are very stalkable, due to the terrain, but you can also set up at some of the springs just like in the flats. It's really worth your time to look high.

OP
M
I was in the areas south of 031 last weekend doing some deer scouting, and then drove by 031 on the way home. In the mountains that I scouted the creeks and water holes were pretty healthy, and the slopes were greener than usual. Lots of thunderstorms had and were moving though.

In units with mountains, like 031, there is reliable water at high elevations. You'll find far more pronghorn at the tops of basins in the mountains than you will in the flats. Yes, some good herds will park near crops, but access to them can be impossible, and approaching them difficult and the water holes can be on private. I hunt the Oregon side of those mountains for deer most years, and I see more pronghorn bucks than mulies up top. They are very stalkable, due to the terrain, but you can also set up at some of the springs just like in the flats. It's really worth your time to look high.

Man I appreciate the info on the unit. I’m planning to hunt the last week of the season in Aug, I’m hoping the area will continue to get rain. I assume most of the better water will be on the northern slopes/basins? I’ll have a blind with me, I prefer to spot and stalk, but will sit if needed. Thanks again for the info.

Pueblo

FNG
At this point dryer weather may be better to concentrate the animals as there will always be some springs, etc. that persist through the summer. The less water running freely down creek beds the better. The mountains present a lot of different angles, so it's not a perfect N/S/E/W thing. Any canyon or basin that provides a depression that invites water to seep out is a good bet. Antelope will bed more openly than deer on the slope above the water holes, sometimes in the rocks too. You're not looking for north slope feed like you would for deer, just a water hole nearby. Google Earth is your friend.

OP
M
Thanks again for the info, first time hunting Antelope so not familiar with their movements/bedding habits, appreciate it

At this point dryer weather may be better to concentrate the animals as there will always be some springs, etc. that persist through the summer. The less water running freely down creek beds the better. The mountains present a lot of different angles, so it's not a perfect N/S/E/W thing. Any canyon or basin that provides a depression that invites water to seep out is a good bet. Antelope will bed more openly than deer on the slope above the water holes, sometimes in the rocks too. You're not looking for north slope feed like you would for deer, just a water hole nearby. Google Earth is your friend.

Show him your “crickets” video

OP
M
Oh yeah.....and there are lots of Mormon Crickets this year. As creepy as it gets. Another reason not to sit in a blind at lower elevations! https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bf7Xhck6uKKS4xFQ6

Eh yeah I don’t think I’d like all of that in my blind with me haha. I guess I’ll bring a spare bottle of window cleaner with me as well. I can only imagine how loud they are at night.

I forgot to ask but is there rattlesnakes there? I use to work in southern AZ so they don’t bother me, just need to know if I need to do a check in the blind before settling in.

Extrapale

WKR
Eh yeah I don’t think I’d like all of that in my blind with me haha. I guess I’ll bring a spare bottle of window cleaner with me as well. I can only imagine how loud they are at night.

I forgot to ask but is there rattlesnakes there? I use to work in southern AZ so they don’t bother me, just need to know if I need to do a check in the blind before settling in.

Yes

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
M
So I had to move my hunt up a week, so I’ll be down there Aug 7-15, just checking to see if anyone had any updates on rain in the area, or fires. I was going to try and access my unit from the border of OR/NV. Just curious if that area is closed to vehicles? If it is I’ll have to come in on the southern end of the unit and move north.

Thanks for any info

OP
M
Setup the blind to get some shots out of it, but my son got more range time then me
08cc366797ba44206c3c0f63c8298131.jpg

Toolshedd

FNG
MountainTracker how did it go? Just curious what you experienced. I just got back from a horns longer in 033, and last year my wife had an antelope horns shorter tag in 031, and has a horns longer in 031. I know my tag this year was pretty difficult and saw very little and was very dry. I hope you had a good time.

OP
M
MountainTracker how did it go? Just curious what you experienced. I just got back from a horns longer in 033, and last year my wife had an antelope horns shorter tag in 031, and has a horns longer in 031. I know my tag this year was pretty difficult and saw very little and was very dry. I hope you had a good time.

I saw about 50ish Antelope on my hunt. I initially was hunting pretty high, not really seeing large numbers at first. The water up high was really good so maybe that kept them from congregating in the same area. The Antelope I saw at the first place were all at the very top. It was in the high 80s to low 90s.

I then moved lower for a few days. The first afternoon and evening after moving I saw about 25ish Antelope. Almost all of them were near a water tank. I did sit in a blind that night and had 10 bucks feeding towards the tank that evening. The group hung up at about 100 yards and then took off. Idk why exactly but it could have been another Antelope coming in from a different direction, or at least that was the way they were looking before running away forever The heat down there was much higher sitting in the high 90s most of the day.

Ran into a lot of deer hunters who would give me info on where they were seeing Antelope. Never talked to another Antelope hunter the entire time I was there. I did get in one good stalk but in the end the buck won. This pic was at 168 yards. I enjoyed myself and enjoyed hunting a new area it’s a lot different then what I’m use to. Good luck to you all, hope you get a good one.

695b01e661a61dffabe94b7517502dbb.jpg