Nuisance trapping advice

IW17

FNG
So apparently some vile critter has started chewing on my oak trees beside my creek. I've never seen beaver, but muskrat are somewhat common. But I wasn't aware muskrat chewed trees this big? My question is, am I dealing with a beaver or a muskrat? Is there any chance of a live trap working? I have no real experience trapping so a live trap is all I have at my disposal. And if it would work, what's my best bait and trap placement. I can take pictures of my yard, the creek and my pond if that's necessary as well.

20230119_131414.jpg20230119_131422.jpg20230119_131425.jpg

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I don't think it's a beaver, there would be a lot more gnawed off I would think. And someone correct me, but usually they go after softer wood and smaller trees. But yes, it's possible to live trap them, that's all we can do here in WA as leg holds and connibears are not legal.

Looks like beaver chews to me. I've never seen a beaver get live-trapped, but it may be possible. IME, they are fairly easy to snare on their bank slides. If you have a local trapping supply store they should be able to set you up. If not, give the Snare Shop a call and they will fix you up with all the equipment and training necessary to catch the beavers.

https://www.snareshop.com/

EDIT: beaver slides are very easy to spot along the creek bank. Typically about a foot wide and worn down into the soft dirt. You can't miss them. A large beaver will leave deep webbed tracks in the mud as well.

OP
IW17

IW17

FNG
I don't think it's a beaver, there would be a lot more gnawed off I would think. And someone correct me, but usually they go after softer wood and smaller trees. But yes, it's possible to live trap them, that's all we can do here in WA as leg holds and connibears are not legal.
Good to hear. Any idea on a good bait?
Looks like beaver chews to me. I've never seen a beaver get live-trapped, but it may be possible. IME, they are fairly easy to snare on their bank slides. If you have a local trapping supply store they should be able to set you up. If not, give the Snare Shop a call and they will fix you up with all the equipment and training necessary to catch the beavers.

https://www.snareshop.com/
I guess I should have mentioned my particular situation. I only own two acres. I have a small pond, about 30' in diameter. And the creek that runs through my yard is about a 150' stretch. I've looked and don't see any slides or sign on my property. Most likely the critter is somewhere up or down stream on property I don't have access to. So I'm hoping, that by setting up something on my property near those tress I can be successful. But I also have zero trapping experience. So I'm handicapped to say the least.

It could be muskrats, I've never seen them chew on anything that large, but certainly possible. If you have any willow thickets or other saplings nearby along the creek, this time of year the beavers should have them cut and stacked in a feed pile somewhere nearby. You should also see other trees with beaver chews and the shavings on the ground.

Do you have a trail camera? Post it over the tree and see what comes by...

WCB

WKR
I could send you 100s of pictures of beavers taking down trees bigger than those and oaks at that. I'd jump on google earth and look up and down the creek to see if you can see any dams or wetlands with Beaver huts on them. Of course in a small creek could just be bank dens.

I wouldn't worry too much about that little bit of chewing....I would try to I.D. first. If it is muskrats almost as easy as snapping your fingers....If its Beavers with no experience could be a bit trickier but there are enough videos on YouTube you'll either catch them or maybe haze them enough they wont come back.

OP
IW17

IW17

FNG
Well I set a cell camera up, set to instant upload. It's definitely beaver. I walked the creek edge and found three more trees in the thicket that are chewed two feet up completely around the base. If I get lucky I'll catch it on camera tonight and it'll die of lead poisoning. Otherwise I'm gonna stop by our department of wildlife office and see if they can recommend someone. Unfortunately with how quickly it's tearing up my oaks I don't want to deal with the learning curve.

Bl704

WKR
Good to hear. Any idea on a good bait?

I guess I should have mentioned my particular situation. I only own two acres. I have a small pond, about 30' in diameter. And the creek that runs through my yard is about a 150' stretch. I've looked and don't see any slides or sign on my property. Most likely the critter is somewhere up or down stream on property I don't have access to. So I'm hoping, that by setting up something on my property near those tress I can be successful. But I also have zero trapping experience. So I'm handicapped to say the least.

If it's muskrat, carrot or apple. Beaver, castor.

A local trapper can take care of that...330 conibear and problem solved.

OP
IW17

IW17

FNG
Updated pictures to show the damage now. I'll be setting traps up in a couple spots if I can't get someone to come.

20230121_090733.jpg20230121_090806.jpg20230121_090812.jpg20230121_090835.jpg

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I always just used old corn cobs... worked like a charm, or even just corn in a little bowl

You have a beaver problem for sure. I deal with them on a daily basis. I do wetland restoration and maintenance work for the goverment.

tuffcity

WKR
You can wrap the base of the tree with thicker chicken wire and that will either deter or at least slow them down. I did this with some polar they were trying to knock down around my garage and greenhouse until I got my lethal options engaged.

EdP

WKR
I have snared beaver cutting trees that size right at the tree. They will move into a snare positioned vertical and perpendicular to the tree, bottom of 10" loop 4" off ground. Fasten the snare down securely with metal rebar stakes, not to the tree. The beaver will be waiting for you in the morning if snared. Snares in their slides work very well too. You will have a continual problem if beaver have moved in to the area, as will everyone else on the river. Protecting your more valuable trees will likely be necessary.

PS: Look at the size of the teeth marks. Muskrats don't have teeth that size.

OP
IW17

IW17

FNG
Well to update this thread, I purchased a couple leg holds and 330 conibear traps. Got on YouTube and looked into trap placement, lures and scent control. Since purchasing and placing the traps I've had exactly zero beaver activity on my property. Go figure lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad my trees aren't getting eaten up. But the little jerk could have moved along before I spent a bunch of money on trapping equipment I may or may not ever use again.