NR wyoming mule deer with zero points

Hey guys, I'm wanting to hunt wyoming this year for mule deer. I've never put in so i have no points. I'm wanting to know what the easiest unit to draw for a nonresident would be that has high country alpine hunting opportunities. I've been hunting Montana's highcountry my whole life and own horses so the steeper and deeper the better. Thanks

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
This year? High alpine muley as a NR? I'm sorry but even 5 minutes of research on the WGFD website would tell you this is impossible for multiple reasons.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

OP
Western Hunter270
This year? High alpine muley as a NR? I'm sorry but even 5 minutes of research on the WGFD website would tell you this is impossible for multiple reasons.

I'm looking at it for next year the 2023 hunting season. Why would it be impossible. I haven't really looked into it yet.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
There's a difference between "this year" and 2023.

For 2023 it is possible, but any areas in high alpine that aren't wilderness area are typically high point draws. And unless you're going with an outfitter or WY resident guide you aren't hunting high alpine wilderness.

There's a great hunt planner on the WGFD website that will answer these questions for you.

OP
Western Hunter270
There's a difference between "this year" and 2023.

For 2023 it is possible, but any areas in high alpine that aren't wilderness area are typically high point draws. And unless you're going with an outfitter or WY resident guide you aren't hunting high alpine wilderness.

There's a great hunt planner on the WGFD website that will answer these questions for you.

Sorry, i didn't realize that i said this year. I meant next year. Are you saying it's illegal to hunt high alpine wilderness without a outfitter or guide or is it just extremely difficult?

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, i didn't realize that i said this year. I meant next year. Are you saying it's illegal to hunt high alpine wilderness without a outfitter or guide or is it just extremely difficult?
No worries.

Yes, and I'm not trying to be rude but you REALLY need to spend a few hours on WGFD site and read through regs and look at the map. Nonresidents cannot hunt wilderness areas without a guide. And I haven't looked at all units but I'm about positive that any unit in the state that has "high alpine" is either wilderness area, or takes 9+ points to draw as a NR.

Some areas for example you could draw with zero points are Region F and Y, but again anywhere above treeline is wilderness area.

Take some time, look at the regs, and review the map and draw odds and all your questions will be answered.

KHNC

WKR
You can hire an outfitter and hunt private land with 0 points. Around Sheridan is prime private land hunting.

Laramie

WKR
No worries.

Yes, and I'm not trying to be rude but you REALLY need to spend a few hours on WGFD site and read through regs and look at the map. Nonresidents cannot hunt wilderness areas without a guide. And I haven't looked at all units but I'm about positive that any unit in the state that has "high alpine" is either wilderness area, or takes 9+ points to draw as a NR.

Some areas for example you could draw with zero points are Region F and Y, but again anywhere above treeline is wilderness area.

Take some time, look at the regs, and review the map and draw odds and all your questions will be answered.

Good advice above.

There are a few spots in the state a guy can hunt above treeline in easier to draw areas without being in wilderness. The one I have experience with isn't great but there are some decent bucks killed occasionally.

OP
Western Hunter270
Good advice above.

There are a few spots in the state a guy can hunt above treeline in easier to draw areas without being in wilderness. The one I have experience with isn't great but there are some decent bucks killed occasionally.
What region would I have to draw? As far as like the letter of the region. I don't need the specific hunt area number. I just want to know an area that I can get a tag easily and then I can start researching that area instead of trying to figure out what tags I can and can't get.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Go to Wyoming's website and search draw odds, it'll show you right there what you can and can't draw. Do some of your own research, Wyoming is pretty easy to navigate, instead of asking others to do it for you.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming Game and Fish website is (IMO) one of the easiest to navigate and understand in terms of the data for draw odds, harvest numbers, etc. If you put in a couple hours of research, you'll be better in the long run for planning hunts for any game in the state. Teach a man to fish vs. give him the fish...

OP
Western Hunter270
Well to tell you guys the truth I actually spent like an hour on the wyoming website as well as other websites and it was all so confusing and I couldn't figure it out so I just said I didn't look into it not wanting to look like an idiot but as much shit as you guys have gave me already I think I'd rather sound like an idiot than sound like I didn't try.

OP
Western Hunter270
Like what is the difference between special preference points, special random draw, preference points and random draw? Also how can you have an area with a quota of 106 and 370 people that put in for it yet the draw odds are still 100%
It doesn't make any sense to me

Laramie

WKR
What region would I have to draw? As far as like the letter of the region. I don't need the specific hunt area number. I just want to know an area that I can get a tag easily and then I can start researching that area instead of trying to figure out what tags I can and can't get.
If I posted it here, you would no longer be able to draw it because 100 other guys who don't take the time to research would also apply with you- making it much lower odds.

Take your time and read through the site. It isn't hard but it does require a bit of time. It is a heck of a lot easier than any other western states draw though.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Like what is the difference between special preference points, special random draw, preference points and random draw? Also how can you have an area with a quota of 106 and 370 people that put in for it yet the draw odds are still 100%
It doesn't make any sense to me
Search for Wyoming on Randy Newberg's podcast or YouTube.

Wyoming has the most informative and easy to navigate websites out there. If you don’t have the patience to learn what you need to know on there you don’t have the patience to hunt high country mulies. You have to glass until you’re crosseyed.

Preference points are explained very easily. Draw odds are easy to figure out. It just takes some time. Oh and dedication. You won’t learn everything over night. You have plenty of time to learn and research. Now is a good time to start.

Rokslide has some very experienced hunters. But they earned it and don’t give handouts for free. The more you know from your own hard work the more respect you’ll get and if you have legitimate questions about something that people know isn’t easy to learn online you’ll get the answers you need. Kinda how life in general works. Good luck!