november bears oregon

Coxen02

FNG
I'm curious who all has shot Oregon coast bears after blacktail rifle season? I've seen a handful during deer season over the years, but never gone out looking for them after the season ended. It's my last tag this year so i'm just wondering how many have had success this late in the year!

Orchemo

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly spring luck for me, but if you have a changing (for the better) weather day, would certainly make sense to have a look.

Brando26

FNG
I have poor luck seeing bears after rifle deer season. Mostly hunt in the northern coast range. This year was crazy for bears in early September though.

welkin

FNG
I live and hunt at about 2200 ft in the southern Cascades. New to bear and also trying to get a sense if it's a bit late now that we're having this cold snap. Been getting down to 20 degrees at night at our house. I have some good spots nailed down, but all the scat I'm seeing is full of manzanita berries and most manzanitas I'm seeing barely have any fruit left and the scat has been difficult to age since it's frozen now. Anybody know about their behavior once the winter hits in southern Oregon and what food source they might move too after manzanita?

welkin

FNG
I also just got the phelps cottontail distress call. I'll go out to some of the spots I know they are (were?) and try blasting on that for a while.

Pdzoller

WKR
Don’t usually pursue bear this late but I have seen them while at work chowing on mushrooms, squirrel caches, leftover nut crops and carcasses. Not really anything I’ve seen that draws them consistently except maybe late apples. 🤷🏼‍♂️

welkin

FNG
Didn't see any in December but I did see a lot of sign. From the scat it looks like they eat chinquapin nuts late in the year. Also more predictably I found plenty of fresh sign on logs and stumps.