Not sure how to feel about Tribal Hunting…

He lives in Mobridge, SD. He doesn't need a link. He lives it every single day. I too was pretty idealistic and naïve when I moved to Mobridge. Not all tribes and reservations are the same. No different than anything else.
You can't talk about them in 1 scope.

There are over 500 individual tribes recognized by the federal government. Are you asserting you are an expert on all of them? Or that if one isn't, they are ignorant? GTFOOH.

Reactions: Duh

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Guess what...

No matter what we say/think/like about their tribal rights given to them by their treaties, that is an unbreakable contract between them and the Federal Government that supersedes our states right for game harvest. MT FWP has little authority over what happens on these hunts.

Jay
I think, as has been typical in US history, most will choose to apply there morality standards to the natives, but don't care if they violate the same standards by breaking treaties (being an oath breaking lier).

In general:

Personally, even though I cannot take part in it in any way, it makes me really happy to know that some people still get to hunt seals and whales.

The arguments on subsistence and traditional methods are flat stupid (not ignorant, ignorant implies only a lack of knowledge). The same argument can be applied to any hunting. It is inherently an antihunting argument, I bet PETA would be happy if hunting was regulated to trad archery only. Isn't the big argument against mandating copper that doing so is antihunting?

Which is why treaty "rights" hunting is merely a hobby now and not a necessity. Even for them...
You are arguing that as it is not a necessity, you should be able to restrict it? Not a far step to just eliminate all hunting.
I will say without question native Americans have gotten the brunt of atrocities committed by the United States government which was basically genocide.
It was genocide, pure and simple. A very successful one at that.

Well past when most of the killing stopped the injustice continued in the form of taking and adopting out native children and trying to destroy the language and culture in boarding schools (some of which are still digging up unmarked graves of children).

KurtR

WKR
So that makes you an expert? Both of those tribes have an enrollment process.
Just on those two tribes. The enrollment process isnt hard see above post. Just got done pouring concrete at the hospital on standing rock so asked a couple members. What they said was pretty funny but not something i will repeat on a forum haha

You have google but standing rock and cheyenne river have different percentages you need to be and its not alot. My brother in law is a Cheyenne River member and he is 1/32 he has blond hair blue eyes and whiter than i am and his kid is enrolled so its not that hard

So this is pretty quick and easy, from the Google (BLUF: a blood test is NOT sufficient for membership):

To be a member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, an individual must have a blood quantum of at least one-fourth (25%) "Oceti Sakowin" Sioux Indian blood from a federally recognized tribe; meaning, they need to be at least one-quarter Native American to be eligible for membership.

Key points about Standing Rock membership:

• Blood quantum requirement: 25%

• Meaning: This means that to be enrolled, a person must have at least one parent or grandparent who is a recognized member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

• Important note: Each Native American tribe has its own specific blood quantum requirements for membership.

KurtR

WKR
So this is pretty quick and easy, from the Google (BLUF: a blood test is NOT sufficient for membership):

To be a member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, an individual must have a blood quantum of at least one-fourth (25%) "Oceti Sakowin" Sioux Indian blood from a federally recognized tribe; meaning, they need to be at least one-quarter Native American to be eligible for membership.

Key points about Standing Rock membership:

• Blood quantum requirement: 25%
  • Meaning: This means that to be enrolled, a person must have at least one parent or grandparent who is a recognized member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
  • Important note: Each Native American tribe has its own specific blood quantum requirements for membership.
yep standing rock is harder than crst. Crst has better game management than standing rock

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Meaning: This means that to be enrolled, a person must have at least one parent or grandparent who is a recognized member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
I think this is the confusion. If a member marries a non-member, and one of there children becomes a recognized member and maries a non-member this can continue on until the genetics are significantly more non-member thn member, but the quantum for each member in that lineage would be 50%.

It is not an identity of genetic inheritance, but an identity of personal connection.

TaperPin

WKR
I dont know any natives in the Pacific Northwest, will probably never catch a fish there, but find any discussion of salmon fishing completely naive without mention of how our country has allowed corporations, to dominate commercial fishing, which are mostly owned by the Japanese. We give it away, take it up the honey, and say, “Thank you can I have another.”

svivian

WKR
I think this is the confusion. If a member marries a non-member, and one of there children becomes a recognized member and maries a non-member this can continue on until the genetics are significantly more non-member thn member, but the quantum for each member in that lineage would be 50%.

It is not an identity of genetic inheritance, but an identity of personal connection.
That’s correct. It also depends on the size of the tribe. Some tribes are so small they will allow up to 1/64th while others only 1/2.

Indians were insanely brutal, US govt was also insanely brutal. Treaties were signed, broken, signed, broken, and signed again. None of us know the full story, but it definitely was not the poor sweet indians vs the devil whites. History is pretty f'd, modern day is also pretty f'd. Every single tribe and rez is different. This will go in a giant circle until everyone realizes there is no answer to any of this. Enjoy the argument.

Duh

WKR
Just on those two tribes. The enrollment process isnt hard see above post. Just got done pouring concrete at the hospital on standing rock so asked a couple members. What they said was pretty funny but not something i will repeat on a forum haha
I’ve worked very intimately on both of the rezs you’re referring to and every reservation in the Dakotas, most of Montana, Nevada, Nebraska, and some of the southern tribes. I haven’t just lived across the river from the Rez and done some poured concrete by the complex (which is where you’re working by right now.) I’ve actually grown up on a reservation that had decent hunting turn into amazing hunting later in life.

Having to deal with enrollment throughout life it’s not necessarily as easy as a lot of comments here. There is a process (some easier than others). For instance, I have kids with a non member and my kids will never be eligible for enrollment, even though they have lineage and blood ties to another tribe in Minnesota. Just the way it is and I’m not
Going to complain about it.

Federally recognized tribes enrollments are handled by the tribes but ultimately overseen by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The tribes can determine if they want to follow blood quantum percentages or lineage. There’s a form called a BIA 4432, which is an official certification that your a member of a federally recognized tribe. A lot of the members usually never need that form and just use their tribal IDs.

This shit talking about tribal rights and how the tribe manages its heards has been going on for ages. It’s played out and the fact is, there’s nothing some bitching on a forum is going to change about it.

KurtR

WKR
I’ve worked very intimately on both of the rezs you’re referring to and every reservation in the Dakotas, most of Montana, Nevada, Nebraska, and some of the southern tribes. I haven’t just lived across the river from the Rez and done some poured concrete by the complex (which is where you’re working by right now.) I’ve actually grown up on a reservation that had decent hunting turn into amazing hunting later in life.

Having to deal with enrollment throughout life it’s not necessarily as easy as a lot of comments here. There is a process (some easier than others). For instance, I have kids with a non member and my kids will never be eligible for enrollment, even though they have lineage and blood ties to another tribe in Minnesota. Just the way it is and I’m not
Going to complain about it.

Federally recognized tribes enrollments are handled by the tribes but ultimately overseen by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The tribes can determine if they want to follow blood quantum percentages or lineage. There’s a form called a BIA 4432, which is an official certification that your a member of a federally recognized tribe. A lot of the members usually never need that form and just use their tribal IDs.

This shit talking about tribal rights and how the tribe manages its heards has been going on for ages. It’s played out and the fact is, there’s nothing some bitching on a forum is going to change about it.
Cool story. Your the man and know everything.........

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Indians were insanely brutal, US govt was also insanely brutal. Treaties were signed, broken, signed, broken, and signed again. None of us know the full story, but it definitely was not the poor sweet indians vs the devil whites. History is pretty f'd, modern day is also pretty f'd. Every single tribe and rez is different. This will go in a giant circle until everyone realizes there is no answer to any of this. Enjoy the argument.
Humans throughout history have been brutal and unjust.

I like the quote by Churchill, "In War, Resolution; In Defeat, Defiance; In Victory, Magnanimity; and in Peace, Good Will.” As part of the clearly victorious side, I feel I have an obligation to extend magnanimity and good will as much as possible. If I'm ever on the loosing side, I doubt I would extend much of either.

Many of the ideas about peaceful natives are very, very ignorant. Acknowledging the excesses of my side is not meant as a justification of the other.