Northern Wisconsin Big Woods...

ianpadron

WKR
All right fellas, what's the deal with the current state of affairs back in good old Northern Wisconsin?

I grew up spending my summers in the Barnes area North of Hayward and hold that country in the highest regard.

I've lived in 2 of the most beautiful places on God's Earth since, WA state, and Montana...and still miss "Up North" everyday.

I didn't get into hunting big game until after I left, and have a romanticized vision of roaming the big woods with a rifle, paddling a canoe, etc. in search of a big whitetail.

Based on the more Midwest-centric forums, you'd think that every deer in the Northern half of the state has been killed by wolves...but I've run into the same mindset out West in areas that I've had tremendous, and consistent success.

What's the scoop? Can a young, fit guy willing to pack camp on his back or in a boat have some success in Bayfield/Sawyer counties in this day and age? Would hate to make the trip back and have to resort to catching walleye and musky because the deer hunting sucks so bad... ;)

Lawnboi

WKR
This winter didn’t help anything, still sitting on feet of snow in the woods. Even my neighborhood does are struggling.

If I want to shoot a decent whitetail I go south.

smithjd

FNG
I lived in Delta from 2006-2020. I hunted and ran cameras in the Rainbow Wilderness and surrounding areas. No question wolves had a great effect. In 2006, you would have to dodge deer the whole length of the Delta - Drummond road. But in a few years they were a rarity to see. I forget which year we had a perfect opening day with good fresh snow. I still hunted a 3-4 mile loop and saw ONE set of fresh tracks.

But I would also assign blame on the DNR management who continued to issue antlerless tags like candy; 6000 one year in Bayfield Co IIRC. People went out to the public land and shot everything they saw. They eventually reduced and then stopped the antlerless hunt but damage was done for a while.

Then, the winter of 2013-2014 was the hardest on record. Coldest ever and second most snow (or vice versa). The few deer left after that looked like concentration camp survivors. While this year was mild temps, we had a major amount of snow that is just now starting to melt.

So yes, it’s been tough deer hunting up here. But you can still get away from the crowds and enjoy it. I love Wyoming but am glad to live in the north woods.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting Northern WI. People always say there are no deer, but we have had pretty good luck, and we always have a few big buck on camera. The odds aren't great, but hunting shouldn't be easy.

Over the years, my hunting style has adapted. We used to find locations for tree stands or ground blinds early in the season, then sit in those spots for hours. Now, I spend most of my time still hunting, glassing, and looking for fresh sign. When I come to a spot that has lots of fresh sign, I set up for an hour or two.

Bayfield County deer camp (public land) has been a tradition in my life since I was 8 or 9 I think. Previous posters are correct - back in the early 2000's "T-Zone" days there were deer everywhere. Things have changed, but if you do some scouting I think you'll figure out where the deer are. Saw the biggest buck of my life during archery season two years ago just out of my effective range.

I think you'll find most of the vast areas of "big woods" have very low densities of deer. But there's plenty of public ground along river bottoms, adjacent to farm fields, logging areas, etc that still hold really good numbers of deer.

This winter may have been tough with the depth of snow and duration of winter - I haven't been north of Spooner since deer season so I can't say for sure how the deer herd is doing up there.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I lived in Delta from 2006-2020. I hunted and ran cameras in the Rainbow Wilderness and surrounding areas. No question wolves had a great effect. In 2006, you would have to dodge deer the whole length of the Delta - Drummond road. But in a few years they were a rarity to see. I forget which year we had a perfect opening day with good fresh snow. I still hunted a 3-4 mile loop and saw ONE set of fresh tracks.

But I would also assign blame on the DNR management who continued to issue antlerless tags like candy; 6000 one year in Bayfield Co IIRC. People went out to the public land and shot everything they saw. They eventually reduced and then stopped the antlerless hunt but damage was done for a while.

Then, the winter of 2013-2014 was the hardest on record. Coldest ever and second most snow (or vice versa). The few deer left after that looked like concentration camp survivors. While this year was mild temps, we had a major amount of snow that is just now starting to melt.

So yes, it’s been tough deer hunting up here. But you can still get away from the crowds and enjoy it. I love Wyoming but am glad to live in the north woods.
Excellent info and I appreciate you taking the time to share it. I know the Drummond area well!

smithjd

FNG
The fields are just opening up today in Bayfield / Ashland Co. Was post-holing up to my need just two days ago in my yard. It’s all water and everything is flooding.

Surviving deer are coming out during day and grazing on bare patches now. Probably won’t be any big bucks this year as if they survived, they sure are stressed and nutrients won’t be used for antler growth.

OMB

WKR

I grouse hunt 10-15 days/year in that country and it's seemed like the deer population is starting to trend upward finally. I have noticed that I see more sign closer to edges with openings/near roads than I do way back in the thick, tight stuff or out in the tag alder. Assuming that's wolf related behavior.

Based on what I've observed over the years, people walk through great deer hunting spots to get to good deer hunting spots.

IDShane

WKR
I am originally from Central Wisconsin (Wausau) and moved to the Ashland area (Mason). We lived there from 2010-2018 and we really had a ton of deer on our property. I would regularly drive past 30-50 deer on my way into work and on my way home. We did live somewhat remote within a mile from the Ashland/Bayfield county line. I had no experience from before that time to compare to but I thought it was pretty good while I was there.

Deer densities are low for sure BUT there are deer there. Even large bucks but they aren’t going to be easy to find.

I think if you go in with realistic expectations and the right mentality that you’re there to enjoy the area/experience but also willing to work hard and cover a lot of ground you’ll have a great hunt.

In the north woods i tend to stay really mobile and cover a lot of ground until i find sign indicating the deer are clustered up more in a spot. Then i’ll start to narrow my focus for mature buck sign from there.

Good luck if you come i hope you end up tagging a good one.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I am originally from Central Wisconsin (Wausau) and moved to the Ashland area (Mason). We lived there from 2010-2018 and we really had a ton of deer on our property. I would regularly drive past 30-50 deer on my way into work and on my way home. We did live somewhat remote within a mile from the Ashland/Bayfield county line. I had no experience from before that time to compare to but I thought it was pretty good while I was there.
Born and raised in Marshfield, small world

Almost convinced my wife to buy an 80 in Mason a couple years back. There were literally deer just laying in the fields mid-day when we were driving around checking out land.

We always used to have dinner at the Ino Bar during our pre-season scouting trip and then drive the roads around Mason right before dark. We used to spot some seriously impressive deer numbers in that area.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Ian, many of my dad's side are from the Marshfield/Roselville/Stratford/Auburndale & WI Rapids area. And others. I am part owner of a chunk of ground up near Ogema. Gods country to me. Deer populations are down bad. Wolves, bear, too many doe tags for too long have all taken a toll.

Last edited:

Baron528

FNG
I've hunted Sawyer and Ashland counties since the early 2000s. Deer numbers were good until about 2012 in the areas I mainly hunt. There are still pockets, but you will have to work to find them. This includes MFL, NF, and state land.

Last rifle season, I still hunted a 9-10 mile loop that had good numbers in 2020 (and has had decent numbers back to about 14) and only cut a few fresh tracks. One was a decent buck track I followed for almost 3 miles before he ran thru less than 100 yards from where I was parked. Never got a good look at him.

I grew up in Auburndale btw. Small world.

Ark_18

FNG
Washburn/Barron Line. Haven't found this many dead deer in a while but I was expecting it based on the winter.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I think there’s some great hunting experiences to be had hunting the northwoods still. It’s just that they don’t typically involve shooting mature bucks.
Honestly if I can find a 120+" public land buck, I'd be tickled pink. Have only shot muleys out West.

Dcronce

FNG
I’m from Wausau too!

Baron528

FNG
Honestly if I can find a 120+" public land buck, I'd be tickled pink. Have only shot muleys out West.

That's a realistic goal imo. If you can find a pocket of deer, there is usually one or two decent bucks in the area.

Just like out west, big woods deer will transition between different areas depening on food sources, thermal cover, and time of year. If there is a good mast crop (acorns), deer will travel for miles to get there. Once the acorns are gone, it's a ghost town.

I'd recommend waiting until after opening weekend of rifle season or muzzleloader season if you plan on still hunting or tracking. These deer have large home ranges and if you spook/bump them, they cover ground in a hurry. It doesn't pay to push them past other hunters if possible.