North face vs Stone Glacier Sleeping Bag

Hunter33

FNG
Which is a better bag? I am looking at the Northface Inferno 0F bag and the Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0F bag. I have narrowed it down to these bags due to needing a 0F backpacking bag for elk hunting and have a MAX $600 budget. This has increased from my original budget and I do not have room to increase it more to get a WM or FF bag.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the North Face down but do have a synthetic zero degree rated. Don’t think there is any way it would make it down to zero.

Very happy with my Chilkoot 15. In my opinion the SG 15 is warmer than the NF 0. SG also has awesome customer service.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity...when/where will you be hunting? Are you a fairly experienced backpacker, and are you a cold sleeper? And what sleeping pad do you have?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hunter33

FNG
Just out of curiosity...when/where will you be hunting? Are you a fairly experienced backpacker, and are you a cold sleeper? And what sleeping pad do you have?

Idaho in early October. Not an experienced backpacker. First timer. I get cold easy and I have the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus R-value 4.1.

OP
H

Hunter33

FNG

Idaho in early October. Not an experienced backpacker. First timer. I get cold easy and I have the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus R-value 4.1.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd agree with the suggestions above. Get an Xtherm pad and something like that Thermarest bag. You can always vent the bag if you get too warm. Can't make the pad warmer/more insulated.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Stone Glacier bags are really great bags. Very well made and fantastic cut thats really comfortable to sleep in. Solid choice.

Htm84

WKR
I figured you’d get nothing but the stone glacier recommended so I’ll be the dissenting voice. The real answer is look at the specs side by side and choose. What power down? How much? and so on. I’ve been looking at the inferno bags but I’m looking for a minus 20-40 bag. They spec out pretty similar to the big names in the sleeping bag world but at a fraction of the cost. mostly due to being made overseas I’d guess. NF stuff has been to some of the most inhospitable places on the planet.

*zap*

WKR
There is nothing wrong with nf, just depends on the model bag really. All sg is top notch thou.

I love my SG 0 Degree. It's lighter than my 32 degree 650 down bag. Plenty of room inside the bag to dry socks, ect. Great zipper guard, magnet closer is ok but could use a stronger magnet. I'm 6'1" and 179 lbs. I would buy that bag again. I use it in a seek outside cimmiron and there's a lot of condensation but the bag has a DWR so I don't ever worry about it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Might as well look at Marmot bags if you're considering NF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Also pay attention to the “comfort rating” if a company provides that. The temp rating you typically see is related to keeping you from hypothermia, not warm or comfortable. Everyone is a different type of sleeper - warm, cold, or somewhere in between. Of course you could always add layers of clothing to hit a certain rating too. I’ve stuffed bags I’ve had in the past with about every piece of clothing I had in my pack to stay warm. Buy the best quality bag you can afford. Nothing worse than losing sleep because you’re too cold (or even too hot) in the backcountry. You’ve invested a lot of time and effort in your hunt and it can be negatively impacted by something as simple as good sleep. Good luck!

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
Lots of good suggestions here. The ratings are important but also is the internal shoulder width measurement. I went with the SG due to measurements. I have room to move around vs my previous bag made me clostraphobic.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Lots of good suggestions here. The ratings are important but also is the internal shoulder width measurement. I went with the SG due to measurements. I have room to move around vs my previous bag made me clostraphobic.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Good choice. Sleep well!