north carolina deer hunt

vtmooser

FNG
We are going on a whitetail hunt the 2nd week of Oct. in Northern N.C.. what can we expect for hunting conditions and deer movement.

Which part of Northern NC? On the coast or in the mountains?

I went hunting at some in-law’s farm along the coast in late October or early November 2015 and had a miserable time. It was hot, muggy, and the mosquitoes but right through my clothes. I didn’t even see a deer. Did see a big black bear, but he wasn’t in season or on my list of animals I ever want to shoot.

In the mountains, I would be prepared for some beautiful, crisp fall air, with possible rain. But it could also end up being 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cathunt

FNG
My time hunting whitetail in NC has been in the north west corner of the state the last few Thanksgivings has been very cold. At elevation above 4k it never got above 60 degrees. It's tough when you haven't scouted during the year at all. It's very crunchy with all the leaves that have fallen. I have seen a few does here and there, they're pretty skittish. They stick to the thickets and high ground what I've seen.

Be prepared for rain or not. Temps can and will vary greatly as October is sort of a transitional month.
I would be prepared to hunt in 50s or 80s all in the same day. I would keep an eye on the weather just prior to leaving and adjust for any extremes they might be predicting.
I would find someone local to talk about deer movement. Things can vary widely from county to county in the Southeast.

Lowg08

WKR
Depends on which part you’re going to. Could be very drastic differences. I live in western North Carolina. I’ll try and help you what I can

BASSFAN07

FNG
Muggy and mosquitos. Rifle season down there by then. Decent deer can be seen. Possibly early rut activity. Like others said permethrin and a thermacell.

Also look out for snakes. Copperheads, cotton mouths, and rattlers.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Muggy and mosquitos. Rifle season down there by then. Decent deer can be seen. Possibly early rut activity. Like others said permethrin and a thermacell.

Also look out for snakes. Copperheads, cotton mouths, and rattlers.

Plus some pretty nasty women ...

I'd head to Ohio, myself.

Wolfshead

FNG
I’ve hunted in NC near Rocky Mount, in Greenville.
I don’t think I hunted an evening in which I didn’t see deer. Mostly on bean, and cottton fields.
Often saw some in the mornings, but the evenings were far better where I was at.
It is true, the deer in NC are smaller than I was used to in the Northeast.

OP
V

vtmooser

FNG
Thanks, I was worried about how bad the mosquitoes and other bitting bugs are. Are the snakes also something to worry about in the NE part of the state.

Thanks, I was worried about how bad the mosquitoes and other bitting bugs are. Are the snakes also something to worry about in the NE part of the state.
The copperheads, rattle snakes, and cottonmouths mentioned above are all in NE NC. Be on the lookout for them, but don’t let them keep you out of the woods.

Wolfshead

FNG
Mosquitoes were not a problem when we were there around the last couple weeks of October.
I did a bit of walking in the woods in search for a couple of deer, and never saw any snakes. But to be honest, I didn’t think about them until after I got out of the woods, and then I was like “ I should have been a little more careful….”

FLS

WKR
That’s a great time to hunt. Bucks will be in the cruising chasing phase and the weather will be starting to cool off. Bring a thermacell and just pay attention to where you put your hands and feet. I’m in the NC/SC woods and swamps year round for 50 years and can count the number of close encounters on one hand. A little bit of cool weather that time of year will really get them moving.

dwdereu

FNG
I am in Central NC. It will most likely be warm that early in Oct. All the advice on snakes and misquitos is accurate. Snakes like to hang around at the base of trees and fallen timber. In my experience most of the mature bucks are still fairly nocturnal until start of rut 1st or 2nd week in Nov. I will see a few browsing mid-day (not morning or twilight). This is public land experience though. Private might be a little different.

OP
V

vtmooser

FNG
Is it just the mosquitoes or are there also other biting insects,(black flies, horse flies, black nats, spiders}and does a thermacell take care of them. We are going with an outfitter who brings us in around 10 and back out around 2 would we be missing opportunities or is it just to hot to stay out. Not a fan of snakes, are they in the tree stands also. TY in advance !!!

dwdereu

FNG
Misquotes and ticks. Use permethrin on your clothing and boots. Can’t comment on thermacell. I wear ScentLok Men's Savanna Aero Quickstrike Hunting Coveralls in the early season. It’s really my favorite piece. Hood and mask sewn in and a little insulation underneath and I can wear it pretty late into the season. It’s a little warm (not for hiking but sitting still it’s fine) but it’s thick enough to block bugs and since it’s a coverall there no place for ticks to sneak in.

I haven’t had any snake run ins hunting. I wouldn’t worry about it. I do wear snake boots though just in case.

FLS

WKR
Permethrin on your clothes for ticks and a Thermacell for mosquitoes. Deer flies and horse flies will be mostly gone by then.
The majority of deer activity will be early and late if its still warm.