Noob Questions

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Taking the plunge into shooting a recurve after several years with a compound. I’m 6’5 with a 32” compound draw, have been shooting 75lbs and want to make sure I get something that fits me decently.

Would a 64” bow be what I need? Also, if I’m getting an ILF setup, is it necessary to start with light limbs and then get heavier ones later, or is there enough adjustment in the tiller of some limbs that I can just buy one heavier set and back them off to learn with before making them heavier? Are there any things I’m missing that I need to be aware of for someone with my specs?

Then there’s arrows. I’ve built my own compound arrows, but if I start with lighter limbs and then upgrade to heavier ones, is there a middle ground arrow that I could build and use for both, or am I going to end up needing to build two sets of arrows with different spines in order to make sure they tune properly to each set of limbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with 42-44lb draw when I came from a compound also shooting 75ish and didn’t have any issues after using a clicker, as far as bow length I’m not sure, you have a way longer draw than me at 27-3/4 I’m still playing with overall bow length, I’m sure someone with way more knowledge than me will chime in soon.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I started with 42-44lb draw when I came from a compound also shooting 75ish and didn’t have any issues after using a clicker, as far as bow length I’m not sure, you have a way longer draw than me at 27-3/4 I’m still playing with overall bow length, I’m sure someone with way more knowledge than me will chime in soon.

Yeah ideally if I could just buy one set of limbs to practice and then hunt with I would prefer that. It would make arrow building more simple. I just wasn’t sure how necessary it would be to start with super light limbs for a guy my size.

mjh

FNG
As far as draw length I would want to get that figured out. Any shops in your are to help you with that. What length riser and then what length limb comes into play with ILF. I've got a 29 inch draw when I do everything correctly. I like a 62 inch recurve the most. While I have other length bows most of my shooting and all my hunting these days is with a 62 inch recurve.

My ILF set up is a 17 inch riser with long limbs. The advantage of the ILF systems is the interchangeability of the limbs. I currently have 40 and 45 lbs limbs at 28. I can buy limbs at any price point affordable to me. I can go up or down in limb weight. Yes, one can tune the bow up and down in weight a little bit but not significantly. But a new set of limbs is easy to find.

I'm not an expert on ILF systems but I've learned a lot before jumping in and since. Belong to a local club with a lot of shared experience to work with.

While I really like my Blacktail recurves, my most shot bow these last few years has been my Dryad Riser with Drayd and TradTech limbs.

Keep asking questions, lots of folks should be able to help out.

IMG_2150.jpg

A 17 inch riser and mediums makes a 60 inch bow. I would suggest a 19 and longs but double check those parameters before ordering. I started with 55lbs and never had a problem. I will say that I was a longtime weightlifter and had plenty of back to use. Now a days in my 50’s I can still shoot 60 and 65 pounders but prefer the ease of 50lbs

Edit: I draw 28.5 and prefer a 60 inch bow.

Last edited:
OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
As far as draw length I would want to get that figured out. Any shops in your are to help you with that. What length riser and then what length limb comes into play with ILF. I've got a 29 inch draw when I do everything correctly. I like a 62 inch recurve the most. While I have other length bows most of my shooting and all my hunting these days is with a 62 inch recurve.

My ILF set up is a 17 inch riser with long limbs. The advantage of the ILF systems is the interchangeability of the limbs. I currently have 40 and 45 lbs limbs at 28. I can buy limbs at any price point affordable to me. I can go up or down in limb weight. Yes, one can tune the bow up and down in weight a little bit but not significantly. But a new set of limbs is easy to find.

I'm not an expert on ILF systems but I've learned a lot before jumping in and since. Belong to a local club with a lot of shared experience to work with.

While I really like my Blacktail recurves, my most shot bow these last few years has been my Dryad Riser with Drayd and TradTech limbs.

Keep asking questions, lots of folks should be able to help out.

View attachment 646258

That’s helpful thank you. As I’m looking around it doesn’t seem too hard to find put together ILF bows that are 64” which is sounding like what I’ll need. Price is a factor too, so looking for something in the cheaper end to start with, and I feel like having a ILF bow would give me more flexibility later on.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
A 17 inch riser and mediums makes a 60 inch bow. I would suggest a 19 and longs but double check those parameters before ordering. I started with 55lbs and never had a problem. I will say that I was a longtime weightlifter and had plenty of back to use. Now a days in my 50’s I can still shoot 60 and 65 pounders but prefer the ease of 50lbs

That’s encouraging, thank you. I may end up finding a good middle ground weight that isn’t too much to start with, but can still be used for hunting. I’d like to piece the bow together with a longer riser and limbs like you’re saying if I can afford it

That’s encouraging, thank you. I may end up finding a good middle ground weight that isn’t too much to start with, but can still be used for hunting. I’d like to piece the bow together with a longer riser and limbs like you’re saying if I can afford it

That’s what I would suggest since you’re so tall. I would venture to say you would need the bigger sight window on a 19 or 21. I would also say 45 too (a lot will disagree with me but if your trying to keep the cost down then go 45) this way you only need one set of limbs and one set of arrows.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I would suggest since you’re so tall. I would venture to say you would need the bigger sight window on a 19 or 21. I would also say 45 too (a lot will disagree with me but if your trying to keep the cost down then go 45) this way you only need one set of limbs and one set of arrows.

Appreciate your input. I’m on the lookout now for something with that longer riser and a 64” total length. The nice thing is if I go heavier I’m also willing to shoot less total arrows per session if I start feeling any fatigue. I shoot my compound that way now, so nothing new. For arrows, are you aware of any major differences between building arrows for compounds vs trad that I should know of? Looks like I’m gonna be around the 300 spine mark

My arrows for my 50-52 pounders are 30 inch big Jim dark Timbers with 50 grain brass inset and a 150 bh. Other than what grandpa told me long ago gen rule 10 gpp is good. I shoot two different setups. If im out west I tend to be around the 9.5-10 gpp for a little flatter trajectory as you’ll have more encounters at longer distances. I’m I’m home and shots are 12-15 yards then I’m around 11.5-11.8 gpp with more weight up front for the big boars that are here. The lighter ones work fine as I’m shying away from the heavier ones Shot placement is key.

bisblue

WKR
You should hit up John Mosier at John's custom archery. He can build you an awesome ilf bow for a deal.

I think 64 would be the minimum, 19 riser long limbs. I have one 62 I can shoot with a 30 dl, but it's special wood bow with a short riser.

Your gonna want lighter learning limbs, that you can then use for form work/ practice. Ilf is the way to go starting out. Low #40 is a good starting point.
I think I have some longs at high 40s @29.5.

Build some cheap arrows for your light limbs with less point weight. Then they will likely fly similar to a heavier arrow from a bow with more poundage. You might have to go with black eagle vintage or instinct to get long enough arrows.
Arrow spine seems to really vary based on length, point weight and what the bow likes. There are some cheap limbs for $100.
Don't go below a long limb. So 19 riser 64"bow, 21 riser, 66"bow.

Last edited:
OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
My arrows for my 50-52 pounders are 30 inch big Jim dark Timbers with 50 grain brass inset and a 150 bh. Other than what grandpa told me long ago gen rule 10 gpp is good. I shoot two different setups. If im out west I tend to be around the 9.5-10 gpp for a little flatter trajectory as you’ll have more encounters at longer distances. I’m I’m home and shots are 12-15 yards then I’m around 11.5-11.8 gpp with more weight up front for the big boars that are here. The lighter ones work fine as I’m shying away from the heavier ones Shot placement is key.

Got it. I’m used to having pretty heavy GPI arrows with my compound; they’re dang near 750 grains. Didn’t intend for them to be that heavy, but that’s where they ended up. Love them though.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
You should hit up John Mosier at John's custom archery. He can build you an awesome ilf bow for a deal.

I think 64 would be the minimum, 19 riser long limbs. I have one 62 I can shoot with a 30 dl, but it's special wood bow with a short riser.

Your gonna want lighter learning limbs, that you can then use for form work/ practice. Ilf is the way to go starting out. Low #40 is a good starting point.
I think I have some longs at high 40s @29.5.

Build some cheap arrows for your light limbs with less point weight. Then they will likely fly similar to a heavier arrow from a bow with more poundage. You might have to go with black eagle vintage or instinct to get long enough arrows.
Arrow spine seems to really vary based on length, point weight and what the bow likes. There are some cheap limbs for $100.
Don't go below a long limb. So 19 riser 64"bow, 21 riser, 66"bow.

Thanks for the tip about John’s Custom. I’ve been using Sirius arrows and have really liked them. I’m looking at the traditional style they have that are the same diameter as my Vulcans. Then if I wanted to use the components I already have to add weight I could. Looking for something in that 64-66 range sounds about right. Do you have any brand or model suggestions under $300?

bisblue

WKR
Thanks for the tip about John’s Custom. I’ve been using Sirius arrows and have really liked them. I’m looking at the traditional style they have that are the same diameter as my Vulcans. Then if I wanted to use the components I already have to add weight I could. Looking for something in that 64-66 range sounds about right. Do you have any brand or model suggestions under $300?

I sent you a message, you could put something together used for 300 that will be about that budget.

Aluminum arrows are cheap and very forgiving spine wise.

My two cents...

64 or 66 if your draw is that long. I'm 6 foot and shoot 62 or 64 with a 28.5 inch draw.

I'd start at 45 pounds. Look at it this way, my wife has killed several elk, including a bruiser 380ish bull at 45 pounds and a 26" draw. If youre shooting 45 with a 30 or 31 inch draw that's plenty of oomph for deer and elk. ILF is beautiful as you can always buy a set of 50 or 55s once you learn the ropes.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents...

64 or 66 if your draw is that long. I'm 6 foot and shoot 62 or 64 with a 28.5 inch draw.

I'd start at 45 pounds. Look at it this way, my wife has killed several elk, including a bruiser 380ish bull at 45 pounds and a 26" draw. If youre shooting 45 with a 30 or 31 inch draw that's plenty of oomph for deer and elk. ILF is beautiful as you can always buy a set of 50 or 55s once you learn the ropes.

Not a bad thought. My concern would be that with 45lb limbs I’d be pulling quite a bit more than that with a 32” draw. At this point though I’m definitely looking at some ILF risers so I can start with lighter limbs and buy some heavier ones later on.

Not a bad thought. My concern would be that with 45lb limbs I’d be pulling quite a bit more than that with a 32” draw. At this point though I’m definitely looking at some ILF risers so I can start with lighter limbs and buy some heavier ones later on.

I shouldvhave clarified....
45 pounds at your draw length.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I shouldvhave clarified....
45 pounds at your draw length.

Ok yeah that makes more sense. I agree though, at that weight I can probably still practice comfortably and if I was ready then take those limbs hunting too, or increase weight later on. One thing that’s confusing me though is how the weight increases in relation to limb and riser length. I’m understanding that draw weight increases a couple lbs or so for every inch above or below the 28” standard. What I don’t know is what my end draw weight will be with a 19” vs 21” riser paired with different length limbs to give me a total length of 64” or 66”

This part gets confusing so ask for clarification if I don't explain well.

1. Each Manufacturer will rate the poundage of the limbs on a given riser length. For example, most Olympic Recurve limbs will be marked for a 25" riser. Tradtech limbs are marked for a 17" riser. So you need to verify what length riser the limbs your buying are marked for. In this example a 40 pound set of Tradtechs and a 40 pound set of WinWins will weigh very different from each other on a 21" riser.

2. As riser length shortens the poundage of any limb will increase, and as the riser lengthens the weight will decrease.

3. I wish it was a direct science, but each riser manufacturer will increase and decrease at a gi en length differently. This is due to the limb pad angle on the riser and amount of reflex of deflex.

4. A good rule of thumb is 1.25 pounds per inch of riser change. So a set of limbs that are marked 40# on a 25 inch riser, would be close to 50# on a 17" riser.

For what you are looking for, I would reccomend the following. I'll give two scenarios.

If you buy limbs marked for a 25" riser...
I'd buy a 21" riser, long limbs, and have the limbs be in the 35-40# range.

If you buy limbs marked for a 17" riser....
I'd buy a 21" riser, long limbs, and have the limbs marked right around 40-45#.

A really good set up that won't break the bank but give you room to upgrade, would be either a tradtech, DAS, or Hoyt Satori riser. With Tradtech Blackmax limbs.