Noob Questions: Wyoming Antelope Draw

Noob questions re: Wyoming Antelope Draw.
  1. If you submit the your first choice as a Special Draw then do the other 2 choices also go into the Special Draw?
  2. In the event that I am not awarded tags. Do outfitters have their own tags available? Is it conceivable that I could still arrange an outfitter hunt for 2023?
Thanks,

—WBC

hiker270

WKR
If you check the draw statistics for the unit you applied for you should have a good idea if you'll draw or not. There are many units the draw is almost 100%, especially if you use the special draw. If you don't draw I don't think Outfitters have tags.

Mojave

WKR
1. Wyoming goes through every applicants first choice before they look at the 2nd choices.

As a non-resident your 2nd choice will not be drawn, unless it is for a unit with zero public land.

As a resident your odds are fairly high of drawing your 2nd choice. Especially if your 2nd choice is a unit that doesn't have a ton of public land.

2. Neither outfitters or Landowners can sell tags (thank God), but they can in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, California, Nevada and probably a few more. The Indian Reservations also have tags. Fort Peck is the one that comes to mind.

wytx

WKR
Yes all choices will be in the same draw, Special or Regular.

I'd be looking over draw odd stats before narrowing down areas, then wait until quotas are actually set to apply for your license.

EdP

WKR
Like Wytx said, wait until the current year quotas are published. The draw odds are always for previous years. You need to compare the new quotas to the previous year quotas to know if the odds have any chance of predicting the current year odds. Drought and winter kill can significantly affect quotas. May 31 is the application due date. No advantage is gained by applying earlier. The quotas come out in April after they are approved by the legislature still leaving you plenty of time to select an area to apply.

OXN939

WKR
Is it conceivable that I could still arrange an outfitter hunt for 2023?
Thanks,

—WBC

Yes. With the way things are going in WY, it's actually often cheaper to pay an outfitter or a trespass fee than it is to save up years of points and then pay the massive special draw fee. And, some of the units you can get that way will be better hunts than what is available in the draw if you only have a few points.

The reality is that a lot of the guys saving points in states like WY will end up with an experience that is way less cool than what they were expecting.

Like Wytx said, wait until the current year quotas are published. The draw odds are always for previous years. You need to compare the new quotas to the previous year quotas to know if the odds have any chance of predicting the current year odds. Drought and winter kill can significantly affect quotas. May 31 is the application due date. No advantage is gained by applying earlier. The quotas come out in April after they are approved by the legislature still leaving you plenty of time to select an area to apply.
It is the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission, NOT the legislature that approves the licenses quotas proposed by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department (biologists and game wardens).

ClearCreek

Rich M

WKR
Outfitters usually have private property to hunt, often in low point units with very limited public land for hunting.

You could do worse than contacting the outfitters NOW. Most will be booked for 2023, but maybe you can find one for this year, maybe get in line for 2024.

If you want a quiet "stalk" on an antelope without orange dots on the horizon, an outfitter might be the best bet. I booked last year for this year and am looking forward to what i just wrote.

wytx

WKR
Lots of immature bucks get taken on guided hunts.
Make sure that outfitter knows what you are looking for, mainly on the blind sitting hunts though.

Good luck Rich, I know you've been wanting a nice pronghorn buck.
You're advice about contacting outfitters now is good.

Rich M

WKR
Lots of immature bucks get taken on guided hunts.
Make sure that outfitter knows what you are looking for, mainly on the blind sitting hunts though.

Good luck Rich, I know you've been wanting a nice pronghorn buck.
You're advice about contacting outfitters now is good.
Thanks!

I put some thought into what I want out of the antelope hunt and it isn't excessive. They seem to shoot mostly "14 inch" bucks and that will be fine. The pics show a lot of "non-typical" type bucks and I'm just talking about a slight variation between the two horns (one tip points in and the other back). I want as close to mirror image as can find. Will also be the third man shooting out of the group of 3, which will either give more time or less to get the desired symmetry. LoL!

Never considered if the outfitter was a blind setter. Always thought they liked to drive around. If it is blinds, that's okay - probably an antelope parade headed in and out of the hay fields anyway...

OP
WookieBowcaster
1. Wyoming goes through every applicants first choice before they look at the 2nd choices.

As a non-resident your 2nd choice will not be drawn, unless it is for a unit with zero public land.

As a resident your odds are fairly high of drawing your 2nd choice. Especially if your 2nd choice is a unit that doesn't have a ton of public land.

2. Neither outfitters or Landowners can sell tags (thank God), but they can in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, California, Nevada and probably a few more. The Indian Reservations also have tags. Fort Peck is the one that comes to mind.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. So it will be all-or-none with my first choice.

OP
WookieBowcaster
Good to know. And you answered what would have been my next question. I have narrowed to 5 - 10 units that look like a fit. So I'll wait until April to check the new quotas.

EdP

WKR
It is the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission, NOT the legislature that approves the licenses quotas proposed by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department (biologists and game wardens).

My mistake. Thanks for the correction ClearCreek.

OP
WookieBowcaster
Yes. With the way things are going in WY, it's actually often cheaper to pay an outfitter or a trespass fee than it is to save up years of points and then pay the massive special draw fee. And, some of the units you can get that way will be better hunts than what is available in the draw if you only have a few points.

The reality is that a lot of the guys saving points in states like WY will end up with an experience that is way less cool than what they were expecting.
I am one of those guys going in with a only few points. My group just wants to go and have fun. I have no plans to sit on points and let them pile up.

I'm not interested in an outfitter (for this trip.) When I go on a first mule deer or elk hunt — I will very likely use an outfitter.

I will have to do some more research to understand trespass fees. I'm assuming those are not fixed or published on a website.

OP
WookieBowcaster
Thanks!

I put some thought into what I want out of the antelope hunt and it isn't excessive. They seem to shoot mostly "14 inch" bucks and that will be fine. The pics show a lot of "non-typical" type bucks and I'm just talking about a slight variation between the two horns (one tip points in and the other back). I want as close to mirror image as can find. Will also be the third man shooting out of the group of 3, which will either give more time or less to get the desired symmetry. LoL!

Never considered if the outfitter was a blind setter. Always thought they liked to drive around. If it is blinds, that's okay - probably an antelope parade headed in and out of the hay fields anyway...
Sounds like a good time. I am going with a group and they want to try DIY. If I was solo, I'd go to an outfitter.

I'd be curious to get your review of the outfitter after your hunt.

Good luck!

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like a good time. I am going with a group and they want to try DIY. If I was solo, I'd go to an outfitter.

I'd be curious to get your review of the outfitter after your hunt.

Good luck!
I did a DIY antelope hunt in 2017. Public land was scarce in that unit and I ended up sitting on a little piece all day on opening day - was a group of hunters sitting about 400 yards from me. We both got animals.

It isn't exactly a very challenging hunt, what is challenging is finding undisturbed animals once the orange army descends.

Good luck getting your plans in place and have a fun hunt.

Mr Lahey

FNG
Trespass fees are just payment to the landowner to let you access their property. You are correct that they are not usually published and vary by species, trophy status, etc. Sometimes they charge a fee to access landlocked public land through their property, which is what I did the only time I paid. From what I've read, you should ask if the landowner limits the number of hunters, otherwise you could end up paying to hunt a ranch that's just as congested as public. Not sure how others figure out who accepts trespass fees, but in my case I was given a few numbers by the county GIS/assessors office.

My one experience hunting antelope with a rifle in Wyoming(2019) ended with a nice buck, but it wasn't a completely pleasant experience. I was in an easy to draw/high tag unit south of Buffalo and it was CROWDED on public land. If you find yourself in a similar situation, my advice would be to invest in a nice pair of boots and be willing to put on some miles. I put on 6 miles round trip to get that buck, but it was an easy, fun walk. I saw couple hundred prairie dogs, a few badgers, coyotes and deer along the way.

EdP

WKR
A few things you can do to decrease the number of other hunters you encounter where public land is limited are:

Hunt walk-in areas. Some folks don't want to walk at all.

Avoid opening day

Avoid weekends. There will be less resident hunters on work days.

There will still be other folks out there, but a few less.