Non-stick frying pans

How long does a non-stick pan last in your home?

• That goal is way too aggressive for us

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • A few cooking sessions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One month

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Maybe a year

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Gave up, went back to cast iron

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • Over a year

Votes: 19 14.7%

• Total voters
OP
menhaden_man
I wanted to vote, but my response is not there. What about "More than one year"? I've had really good luck with them, and use them daily.

You must have family that pays more attention than mine! I changed the poll and didn’t realize such a situation existed. My family will straight scramble eggs with a fork in a non stick over full heat then wash with a Brillo. I’ve had the conversation plenty of times.

We have and use several cast iron skillets, but also have a 12 inch and 8 inch Woll diamond coat skillets that have been really good. We have used the 8 inch for 3-4 years already and it’s still as good as new, both of them also clean easier than our well seasoned cast iron skillets. They are not cheap though, cast iron definitely has the cost advantage.

Zappaman

WKR
So I can't be the only cast iron guy with a mason jar of bacon grease sitting next to my stove....tell me there are others.
O hell yes! Haha... I though it was just me and grandma down in Texas ;)

My wife dilligently brings her empty pickle jars home from work (her snack food)... and I rinse them then toss them under the sink for the next "surplus" of grease/oil.

I actually have several under there: bacon and frying shortening/oil. I bet I've fried four sets of "taders" on the same oil (i hear most "fast food" joints also use the same oil for days). But hey, it's tastes great (at home, not so much at Daiiry Queen) and so why not re-use it!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
We switched to the Ninja nonstick. Last pretty well.
My parents bought me a set of these for Xmas 2020. I've been impressed with them so far. I also have a couple cast irons I use and an enamal coated cast iron dutch oven, which sees a ton of use.

My official opinion is that you should just learn how to properly apply heat to the food you're cooking and you won't have issues.. EVERY Dang time my wife cooks eggs in cast iron, there is a thin layer of egg stuck to the bottom of the pan. 98% of the time I'm cooking in cast iron, there is little to no egg. Same thing can be done with our stainless triple clad pan.

I'm not saying I cook perfectly every time, but it is fair to say that its not that hard to learn how to regulate heat so you don't have to scrape your pans every time you use them

Kodiak13

FNG
Try the Madein brand (the ones used on the television series CHOPPED). We've been using em for years and they never stick. NEVER! But do not use metal instruments or place them in the dishwasher. Hot water and a paper towel is usually all you need. Have some that are many years old and still work perfectly. Pricey but worth every cent. Get the set of three. https://madeincookware.com/products/non-stick-frying-pan/set-harbour-blue

BTW...I also own a commercial kitchen that employs 28 staffers and we use these there as well.
I second MadeIn, I have their carbon steel. Do it right and you can make any carbon steel pan a non stick without the use of harmful chemicals etc

I just don't like buying expense All Clad non-stick pans and then having them fail so quickly compared to non-stick. Seems like such a waste to throw away the pans when it's just the cooking surface that is coming off. I don't buy them anymore.

fmyth

WKR
Try the Madein brand (the ones used on the television series CHOPPED). We've been using em for years and they never stick. NEVER! But do not use metal instruments or place them in the dishwasher. Hot water and a paper towel is usually all you need. Have some that are many years old and still work perfectly. Pricey but worth every cent. Get the set of three. https://madeincookware.com/products/non-stick-frying-pan/set-harbour-blue

BTW...I also own a commercial kitchen that employs 28 staffers and we use these there as well.
Based on your previous comments I've purchased 3 non stick Made In pans and I love them! Thanks for helping me spend my $$$$!

Gallahad

FNG
My wife found a square cast iron skillet in an old junk pile on our property 4 years ago. She said she could " bring it back" . Well 4 years later, and the properly season cast iron is the only thing anyone wants to cook on around here!

TX_Diver

WKR
I had good luck w/ the costco non stick set (got a few years from em). We are back to cast iron now for pans though.

My all time favorite that we've had almost 2 years now is a flat top that you just set on your grill... I have the 2 burner one (slim) and should have just gone all in and got the one that covers the entire stove top... so much more space to cook bacon (and pancakes, large quantities of eggs, pork chops, etc.)

They also make them for electric stoves too I believe.

kbar

FNG
I’ve had mixed results with a few different brands. I think it all depends on how well you care for them more than anything. We all want to just throw them in the dishwasher, but we take the time to clean our cast iron…