Non locking elevation turrets?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone, I am looking at a ZEISS
v4 for a mountain/all around rifle. It will be used in thick bush at home. So I am wondering with that scope not having a lockable elevation turret if you guys have had issues with turrets getting spun on accident? And not catching it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josef

FNG
Yes. Its definitely an issue. If there is a zero stop and you can get back there easily than its not a huge deal. If the turret doesnt have a zero stop or lock then you are very likely to have it inadvertently spun. I would argue your better off with capped turrets than an exposed dial that doesnt lock or have a stop.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Yes. Its definitely an issue. If there is a zero stop and you can get back there easily than its not a huge deal. If the turret doesnt have a zero stop or lock then you are very likely to have it inadvertently spun. I would argue your better off with capped turrets than an exposed dial that doesnt lock or have a stop.

It does have a zero stop. But my other dial
Scopes all lock at zero. So I am concerned with this scope but the specs and reviews look good on the scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I believe all V4 scopes have a zero stop. The turrets on my zeiss scopes are fairly firm or stiff to turn as it is. I would find it hard to have it spin due to rubbing or bumping on anything. Not saying it can't but they are just stiff.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

I dealt with the same question and ended up getting a older Bushnell 6500 with capped turrets. Older Vortex LHT are capped too. I didnt worry about brush moving the turrets on the scope I had, but carrying in the Kifaru Gunbearer puts the turrets under my armpit and next to my pack strap did cause some thought.

Rock-o

WKR
I've not experienced turrets getting unintentionally turned. And my elevation turret is against my backpack with the rifle wiggling around. Going through brush, whatever. Never. Not once. Maybe mine are tight? Maybe I'm lucky. Who knows.

If it had ever turned though, yes, I'd catch it. Since I always leave it at zero when not shooting.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
yes, have had elevation dial turn inadvertently several times, and I havent even hunted with scopes having exposed turrets that much. I had a scope with an easier to turn turret that locked by popping it in/out, but didnt have a zero-stop, come unlocked and spin a full revolution while carrying it on a sling over my back--could not figure out that miss until I put it on paper. To some degree a turret that's stiffer to turn will help significantly, but it isnt a sure bet if you're in "duck-and-charge" type thick brush, carrying it next to your body or on a sling and have to mount the rifle quickly, etc. I've also heard a bunch of people say they've had them spin in a horse scabbard. Personally, having had dials unintentionally spin a couple times in pretty innocuous conditions, I would prefer to hunt with a scope under those conditions that either has capped turrets or very-solid locks. I find a zero-stop super helpful regardless of whether it locks, not sure I would buy a scope with turrets that doesnt have a zero-stop.

Last edited:
I have a Z4 and would prefer the turret to lock, but the zero stop is solid and I’ve decided to just make a habit of checking it on breaks and before taking a shot.

I have hear of more than a couple occasions where a turret was inadvertently spun and blame for a missed shot, but I wonder how far it could legitimately turn. With an MOA dial, 8 clicks would be 2” at 100 yards, not really enough to “miss“ a deer. I’d think at longer ranges you’re using the turret and would catch it.

Would like to hear from anybody who’s encountered this.

Macintosh

WKR
“…but I wonder how far it could legitimately turn. With an MOA dial, 8 clicks would be 2” at 100 yards, not really enough to “miss“ a deer. I’d think at longer ranges you’re using the turret and would catch it.

Would like to hear from anybody who’s encountered this”

Literally the post right before yours.

The “lock” popped out of the locked position and turret spun a full revolution, and without a zero stop did not get back to zero in the field. Scope had easy to spin turrets, but nevertheless, happened to me.

I too was concerned about the non locking elevation turret on the V4 but its been a non issue. After thrashing a couple older scopes on falls and long belly crawls I started using a neoprene scope cover and that has provided great protection of the V4, is quick to remove, and Ive yet to experience any undo turret movement. Without the neoprene Id still be surprised if it moved much due to how stout each adjustment click is. That being said certain backpacks, rifle cases and vehicles seem to have a knack for wrenching on rifles in certain ways when you're in fast deploy mode and it is 100% something else to add to the mental checklist of a shot sequence. The added precision at distance and confidence dialing elevation has added to my shooting has been worth it thus far.