Non-canvas family tent

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done the Kodiak Canvas thing and have decided I want something lighter weight that packs down smaller. Looking at six man tents (for my wife and I and two kids) like the Eureka Timberline 6 SQ and the Marmot Halo 6. Looking for a good compromise of weather resistance and head space. Any recommendations?

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8. Would recommend 8 for 4 people.

They go on sale most Black Fridays if you’re not in a rush.

sasquatch

WKR
Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8. Would recommend 8 for 4 people.

They go on sale most Black Fridays if you’re not in a rush.

Extremely hard tent to beat. We’ve put them through hell and they take it like a champ.

Go 8 man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coltmag45

FNG
The Alaskan guid tents from cabelas are great options the hold up In all the weather I used it in no problem and are very good in wind.

I have a kodiak (and three kids) - we use the Big Agnes tents in the summer or when boat camping. They make a nice larger tent for reasonable price.

3Esski

FNG
I have the North Face Kaiju 6 and love it, I think it is discontinued and is now the Wawona. The Wawona looks to be the same tent but is a single wall version. Works well for 5 of us and a dog.

Hard to beat the Cabelas Alaskan Guide for good/light/cheap/roomy.

I have an REI kingdome 10 that is pretty awesome in terms of space for the fam. Not as bombproof as the Alaskan guide in bad weather, though.

I have the Big Agnes Mad House 8. It’s an amazing tent and easily can be set up by 1 person. I have taken it on hunts with just me and one of my kids. It’s like a Taj Mahal Providing ample room for large full size cots, spacey vestibules, etc. It doesn’t have a 4 season rating but I have had it in some harry weather without issue.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
i have a timberline 6 and it has made a half dozen trips, some in snow.
2 adults and 2 small kids would fit but it would not last long as they grow. i call it a 2 man tent.

the last trip the timberline made was in second season and lots of snow. the floor was constantly wet and had puddles of water from melting snow. in desperation i poked a small hole in the floor to let the water out.
i soon had a floorless tipi.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife, me, and two small kids fit well in a Seek Outside Redcliff with stove. I have a half nest for the kids and bugs, but a Thermacell is great for bugs in a floorless too.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
For what you describe, I have had great success with the REI Kingdom 6. Looks like it is discontinued and replaced by the Wonderland 6--maybe give that a look.