family tent help

Coltmag45

FNG
I am personally a big fan of Cabelas ultimate alaknak but it can be a little bulky but it’s got lots of room and you can stand up.

Personally, I'd go with a Kodiak Canvas 12x12 cabin tent (comes with a stove jack). Canvas give you the option of the type of heat you want to use (propane or wood stove). The size will meet your needs, and you can always add the awning (it can be enclosed) if you feel you need more room, a cooking area, storage... If you donot want canvas, you could go witha Cabelas outback Lodge (no stove jack), but unless you install a stove jack there is no way to heat it without condensation issues. Both of the above tents come in 10x10 and 12x12, but a 10x10 will leave you wanting more room, considering the size of your family.

JK_CO

FNG
OP: One piece of info I'd love to know is what you're currently using? I've gone from a dome to a tipi and sometimes it works but sometimes it causes more trouble for getting folks organized with a slightly odd floor shape versus a pretty straight-forward square and I'll still break out the dome. Since you're not talking cold or snow load, I've got family that has had really good success with some of the REI options like the Kingdom 6 or other similars (Skyward, Wonderland). They'll give you height, semi-reasonable pack weights (15-20lbs) and a good warranty policy too. If you're wanting to use the tent for hunting base camp as well then the other options that would support a stove and such are probably better. But hey, if you can afford to get activity-specific gear (one for family camp, one for hunting camp) then why not! Having an extra tent option is not a bad thing!

OP
Jbuck

Jbuck

FNG
We grew out of a small 4man dome tent. We borrowed one of the 10man tents from Costco and it was OK, but not fan of the integrated poles that seem like a weak point for longevity. I did like the room and ease of packing it in and out of the boat.