Non-big game bucket list hunts

CorbLand

WKR
Hogs out of a helicopter.
I want to hunt ducks out of an airboat one day.
Flooded timber for ducks.

Last edited:
I honestly can't really think of anything. Is alligator small game? I'd like to do that maybe. And if wolverine is small game, I still need to get me one of those guys.

Grew up in ND so just kinda wore out on bird, coyote, and critter hunting. To me, those are more do it and enjoy it when nothing else is going on type of hunts instead of a spend money to destination hunt types. Cool to see everyone's list. I'm glad we all have different interests and priorities or things would REALLY be crowded! No wrong answers in this thread.

I have a pile of fishing on my list. About 10 different river floats and a couple places I'd like to re-visit in Alaska. Nushagak Kings before they're all dead and need to make it back to Yakutat.

fatlander

WKR
I’d love to go on a hook and line safari in many parts of the world.

The Amazon, the Congo, and Alaska are the fishing trips I want to do before I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pretty far into my planning on this one, even putting down some deposits. Then CITES poked its head up. Can't bring them into the states, so I cancelled until I can do a muskox/reindeer hunt over there. But I agree, a cool hunt and bird.
I’d be ok not bringing back, as long as I got to eat a few there, just think it’d be a cool experience. A mounted puffin would be sweet though.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
One of my dream trips that will likely never happen due to logistics and violence/danger is a road trip from the US to Argentina. Stopping in Mexico for quail (I'd like to mix some big game in), hunting anything legal on the way down, and then hitting Argentina during duck/stag/perdiz season. The main kicker in this (other than the Darien Gap), which makes it even more difficult, is I would want to use my own dogs. I've hunted pretty much everything in Argentina already, but always over someone else's dogs or gear, would love to basically freelance all the way through Latin America and South America.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wallace-that does sound like a really cool trip-but you are right in the possible issues along the way. A really cool idea nonetheless.

South Dakota, in an area with crazy numbers of wild pheasants.

Every year I tell myself, instead of flying to my annual Wyoming hunt, I'm going to drive, and stop for a few days in SD to shoot birds. But every year, I end up booking a flight instead.... someday.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
South Dakota, in an area with crazy numbers of wild pheasants.

Every year I tell myself, instead of flying to my annual Wyoming hunt, I'm going to drive, and stop for a few days in SD to shoot birds. But every year, I end up booking a flight instead.... someday.
Somedays and tomorrows are never promised. You should do it this year-heck maybe even go just for the birds. Driving can be tough but you can take sooo much more stuff and see so many different places on your time table.

Mt Al

WKR
Great thread!

Arctic fox, wolverine, lynx, bobcat and any upland game bird. Would love a huge badger some day. Have shot several but a porker would go straight to the taxidermist. I buy a trapping license for the off chance I see a bobcat in season but never have. Some day....

Would also enjoy knowing where the biggest rattle snakes live and looking for specimen as long as I'm covered with chain mail or kydex shields from head to toe. I see a lot of rattlers where I hike in the summer and upland game or early archery season, but never a big fatty. While we're on the subject of snakes, would like to get a big feral boa or anaconda in Florida.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd like to do iguanas and python in south Florida and asian carp bowfishing on the ms river somewhere.

TSAMP

WKR
Many of us have a bucket list idea of big game hunts like Alaskan Grizzly or Red Deer in Argentina: but what about a scaled back hunt for say unique small game. Something that would likely be less strenuous (physically and financially) and would not require planning for difficult areas to draw a tag for. Something you could take friends and family along and feel a bit less pressure to have a successful hunt.

I have a couple of examples from pretty simple hunts to those that would require travel and a bit of planning.

First I want to get a good specimen of a large Fox Squirrel. I used to see them quite often but haven't seen them lately where I hunt. Not sure I would mount it but I would likely save the hide-and of course make some squirrel dumplings.

I'd like to hunt Gambel's Quail, snowshoe hare and a few species of waterfowl that I have not harvested so far. I'd love to do a dove hunt in South America and hunt Ptarmigan in Alaska.

What are some hunts for small game you are planning or want to plan down the road?
I've been waiting for an opportunity to bust this hog out. Sounds like your the kind of guy to appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20211223_104233.jpg
    20211223_104233.jpg
    929.2 KB · Views: 94