Non Big 3 Bino's.... What is everyone using?

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
I know lots use the big 3 Leica, Zeiss and Swaro but there are some really good priced glass in similar categories and in some cases some consider better. What is your take on newer glass like Maven or new models like Razor UHD and Meopta HD. I have used Swaro all my life and thought they are the best, but in some ways for individual eyes I actually found trying other bino's they weren't the best for me and especially for the price. I recently went to a set of Leica Ranging HD-B and for me I like them better than the 12x50 I had for a few reasons. I am wondering now what else is in upper end class that isn't in the big 3?

I am looking for something 12x50 or 15x50(56) ish. Looking at the 3 listed or maybe others now. I guess you just assume Swaro is best and no questions after but it wasn't the case for myself. Thing is if I hadn't had both here on a tri pod at the house I wouldn't of known just looking in the store, they all look clear at first glance. So I am asking for other peoples input. I still may end up with the 15x56 SLC HD but have a bit more acceptance to other makes and models!

Scoot

WKR
If I were getting a non-big 3 set of binocs right now I'd be looking really closely at Maven.

nobody

WKR
Absolutely blown away by my Maven's, I'll be replacing my spotting scope this summer with an S1.A. They all hang with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without breaking a sweat, and they build the Only Made in the USA binocular on the market. Proud to support them!

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta Or wait a little longer and save up for the big 3 euro brands
Did you read the thread. I am not trying to save up. I am saying that I am finding there are equally as good bino's at lower costs and in some case better than the big 3. I know about and have had all 3. I am looking outside these.

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely blown away by my Maven's, I'll be replacing my spotting scope this summer with an S1.A. They all hang with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without breaking a sweat, and they build the Only Made in the USA binocular on the market. Proud to support them!
These are what I am looking hard at! Thanks for the input.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve got a pair of 10x42 UHD Razors. They’re phenomenal glass. Great in low light, beautiful colors during the day, and really good edge to edge clarity.

I was getting ready to buy a pair of SLC’s and I won these in a raffle. For what I’ve got in them, I’ll never get better glass. If I was still in the market for glass, I’d probably hop on one of the many awesome deals out there for SLCs or ELs. People are selling gently used pairs at great prices for the new Pure NLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
There are some very good top end Bino’s by Kiowa and Minox that are worth a look, not sure if they come in the higher powers you seek. Myself, I went with Meopta/Cabela’s Euro’s. 10x, 15x and the spotter. Alpha glass to my eyes, especially the spotter. I have not looked through Maven’s. I am happy with the 15x56’s, excellent glass.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Leupold 10x42 Golden Ring HDs, sadly discontinued, but I see them pop up occasionally on eBay or here on the Classifieds. These hang pretty well with the alpha glass that I’ve handled.

Recently purchased some Maven B3 8x30’s and while I don’t have a ton of time behind them, so far so good.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve got a pair of 10x42 UHD Razors. They’re phenomenal glass. Great in low light, beautiful colors during the day, and really good edge to edge clarity.

I was getting ready to buy a pair of SLC’s and I won these in a raffle. For what I’ve got in them, I’ll never get better glass. If I was still in the market for glass, I’d probably hop on one of the many awesome deals out there for SLCs or ELs. People are selling gently used pairs at great prices for the new Pure NLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for being a part of Vortex Nation!🤜🤛

golfbum

WKR
I have owned just about every top end bino out there, and for my eyes I just can't justify the $. With that said I am working my way back to the Razor line. I have always got along pretty well with their glass.

I have owned or currently own all of the big three alpha models.

I have never owned an ATX but I honestly feel the ATS is one of my biggest let downs.

I bought Maven's on Saturday they are scheduled to show up on Friday. Everything I read they are great value.

JakeSCH

WKR
I ran SLC 15x56 and Maven B5's (I got for $1300) at the same time on two hunts last year and ended up keeping the mavens. I did not feel that the extra 1k price gave me any edge in finding game. I would say the biggest thing I noticed is that swaros took slightly better photos with a digiscope but when sitting behind the glass I would always spot more game behind the mavens than when behind the swaros.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models you listed.

Maven 9s and Meopta 15s, very pleased with both. I think I’ll step up to the big 4 (including Kowa) when I buy a big spotter though.

Maverick1

WKR
My Japanese made Vortex Razor binos are incredible.
I purchased a 10x42 Vortex Razor a number of years ago and have been very happy with them as well.

Figure out what your wants/needs/intended uses are and go from there.

When I last purchased binoculars for elk hunting, I certainly could have afforded more expensive ones (the big 3 as the OP called them) - but I know I am very tough on binoculars and knew they were going to get beat up: I keep mine on a harness strap, not a binocular case, for a variety of reasons and my hunting style. And the OTC area where I usually hunt is very thick and binoculars are not really used for long-range glassing or animal sizing/scoring. Because of my situation, I didn't care to spend the extra $ to beat the piss out of a really expensive pair. And it has worked out well - I sent them into Vortex once - because of how I treated them - and they restored them and sent them back to me. Sure, there are optical tradeoffs versus the price one pays, just figure out what your wants, needs, and intended uses are. If my situation was different - or I could stand wearing a binocular case - I might choose something different.

JRMiller

WKR
Meoptas or Mavens, both pretty equal to each other, both outstanding and both at about 1/2 the cost of anything better.
Have two of each and can honestly say I have no further interest in trying to find anything better.