Nikon J1 w/ 10-30 lens

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ver nice Matt. Thanks for the video update. I really like the option of the useing the lightweight camera with the three options, scope, camera and camera with full size SLR lens options. That is very cool. Have you noticed any/much compromise in picture quality in the full size lens conversion or anything you wish any of the set ups had?

Great questions Kevin.

The full size lenses don't compromise any quality with the J1. In fact, the Nikkor glass actually performs its best on the 1 series cameras because the sensor is just cropping the center of the image, where the lens performs its absolute best!

My only issues with the Nikkor lenses vs. the 1 Nikkor lenses are in order to refocus during video with the Nikkor, you have to half press the shutter, and the lens makes a lot of focus noise and VR noise. The native 1 Nikkor lenses autofocus constantly during video, using all the AF points, VR, etc., and are completely silent.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
here is a pic with the 55-200 VR at 200.

Range is somewhere just over 100 yards.

mooseweb_zpsf531f15c.jpg

Nice picture Matt. Does the AE/AF, auto exsposure/auto focus lock in well when useing the scope adaptor on video and stills? Do you need to refocus or fine tune the scope at all or does the camera lock on well and adjust well? Does it pick up the auto exposure well in low light? What I'm wondering is when you spot something in your scope, do you need to fine tune anything when putting the camera and adaptor on the scope? I like the options your set up provides. Very nice Matt.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Nice picture Matt. Does the AE/AF, auto exsposure/auto focus lock in well when useing the scope adaptor on video and stills? Do you need to refocus or fine tune the scope at all or does the camera lock on well and adjust well? Does it pick up the auto exposure well in low light? What I'm wondering is when you spot something in your scope, do you need to fine tune anything when putting the camera and adaptor on the scope? I like the options your set up provides. Very nice Matt.

If I am reading your questions right Kevin:

The AE/AF works extremely well through the spotter, because the J1 utilizes Contrast Detection Autofocus and the 10-30 kit lens in that setup. In low light, there may be some searching for focus, but it is really pretty good. I use Aperture Priority and set the aperture wide open, since the spotter is limiting light to the camera.

Video will autofocus easily right through the spotter with the kit lens.

When I take a digiscoped photo, I typically just focus for my eye, put on the camera, autofocus, and snap the pic. Due to the focal lengths and shutter speeds, the remote really gets things nice and steady.

It is a very versatile system.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
For any Nikon 1 system owners that want to digiscope:

I have an extra 10-30mm lens. I had planned on just selling it off on eBay, but now I thought I would offer this:

I will epoxy an adpater ring on the lens just as I did with the first lens in this thread. I will then sell the lens to a Rokslider for $120 shipped.

This offer will be in the classifieds, and reply there.