NightForce ELR Steel Challenge?

Lighter fluid can help. I carry an “emergency kit” with everything that I can reasonably put in a backpack to get a gun back up. I also will take a compleat backup rifle.
I may bring a second rifle, it would be in 6.5 creed, but at least at 1200 and in I would be pretty confident, at least be able to keep shooting if I had a critical failure.

What's everyone use to carry around 100+ rounds of large caliber ammo? I'm shooting 300 Norma, and have some 50 count boxes, but they are pretty bulky, and carrying 2-4 of them would take up a lot of pack room, just wondering what others are using.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What's everyone use to carry around 100+ rounds of large caliber ammo? I'm shooting 300 Norma, and have some 50 count boxes, but they are pretty bulky, and carrying 2-4 of them would take up a lot of pack room, just wondering what others are using.
I use a couple of these STM Bullet Binders, and they work well.

19 days until the match and my barrel just sudden dropped 20fps and started opening up, so that's exciting! Luckily I have a new one ready if its indeed giving up on life.

Question for anyone that has shot the match before. My rifle currently has an NX8-4-32 on it, and it's a great scope, especially for hunting. But admittedly, I feel like it struggles with mirage a bit more than the Gen 3 razor on my prs rifle. When I look side by side between the nx8 and my razor, I can see the target much much clearer with the razor when there's heavy mirage. Is there a significant amount of mirage there, and has anybody used both/either of those optics and think the glass improvement on the razor would be beneficial?

RussDXT

WKR
19 days until the match and my barrel just sudden dropped 20fps and started opening up, so that's exciting! Luckily I have a new one ready if its indeed giving up on life.

Question for anyone that has shot the match before. My rifle currently has an NX8-4-32 on it, and it's a great scope, especially for hunting. But admittedly, I feel like it struggles with mirage a bit more than the Gen 3 razor on my prs rifle. When I look side by side between the nx8 and my razor, I can see the target much much clearer with the razor when there's heavy mirage. Is there a significant amount of mirage there, and has anybody used both/either of those optics and think the glass improvement on the razor would be beneficial?

I don’t have a razor but use an xtr3. With all the wind and steep terrain mirage hasn’t been an issue the five years I have shot it.

I don’t have a razor but use an xtr3. With all the wind and steep terrain mirage hasn’t been an issue the five years I have shot it.
That's good news! This barrel swap at the last minute has me stressed enough, I'll check mirage off my list of super concerns lol.

RussDXT

WKR
Bummer, though the way they move them along the squad isn’t nearly as much of a social aspect.

Let looking forward to meeting you all!

Bummer, though the way they move them along the squad isn’t nearly as much of a social aspect.

Let looking forward to meeting you all!
Yeah, it seems like they want you moving quickly after you shoot.

The forecast is looking quite.....wet.....lol

RussDXT

WKR
Considering the dust we have had the last few years that would be a change. Year round I’m reminded of the Nightforce Challenge by finding dust in places I never knew it could get into.

Considering the dust we have had the last few years that would be a change. Year round I’m reminded of the Nightforce Challenge by finding dust in places I never knew it could get into.
I definitely feel that pain. I live in southwest Idaho and am constantly covered in special amounts of dust every time I shoot. I'm sure it's even worse at the match.