Nightforce Atacr 4-16x42 mounting & thoughts on performance?

Kimmo H

FNG
I finally bit the bullet and ordered myself a NF Atacr 4-16x42 MIL-C scope with the Zerohold turret. The idea behind choosing NF was to get an optic that is actually durable and trustworthy.

I am looking at putting it on a T3X Tikka using a Spuhr hunting mount, but I need some help picking the right height for the mount.

If someone has acces to this particular model of scope, could you please measure how much the middle bell extrudes downwards from the 34mm main tube? I am worried that the low Spuhr mount will touch on the bell between rings as it is a one piece mount.

Also feel free to express your thoughts on the scope in general. Did I make a very expensive mistake or is it worth the $$ for hunting / max 800y target shooting? NF's are ridicilously expensive here, as this scope was hard to find in the first place and cost over 3300USD worth in euro.

I have the MOAR version of this scope on my 300 WM Ridgeline and really like it. Wanted something that could handle whatever I may throw at it, without any concerns and that led me to this scope. Buy once, cry once is how you have to think of these (at least in my house)…

I believe mine is on the NF Medium rings on a 20MOA rail

WKR
Can't help you on the rings but have the scope and love it. Amazingly compact and probably my favorite optic. Its on my 6.5-284 for long range duties.

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
Thank you @TK-421 that is exactly the dimension I was looking for!

I live in Finland and much of the cost comes from 24% taxes we have to pay on everything imported from outside of EU free trade countries. That price range is pretty much what the going rate for NF optics is in Europe in general. I found some online stores from other countries than the US with more reasonable prices who would have shipped, but with the shipping costs in the 100$+ and the bloody 24% tax it would always end up close to 3k€, or ~3300usd.

I do hope it will be worth it. Everyone I've talked about it with has comdemned me crazy as the general public don't even know the brand name Nightforce. Here its all about Steiner, Kahles, S&B and recently Zeiss etc. on the tactical scope range, many of wich can be had for similiar or even less cost.

We'll see how this venture with American toughness pans out for me. All I want from it is decent glass and good durability. I am so done sending scopes back for warranty repairs even when I baby my equipment to some degree...

Don't fret on the NF scope.. its a tough as nails scope.. you are going to get taxed regardless.. might as well get what you want.. Dont own a tangent anymore and didnt like the ZCO price points vs immediate gratifications.
Run what you want to and dont let a forum make you have regrets.. I have the 4x20 and love it. I want the same on a few more..

ande7824

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 4-16x42 on a Tikka 6.5PRC. Originally in Hawkins Ultralight Medium rings (1"), but had 50%+ failure to eject where the brass would hit the windage and bounce back into the chamber. I just got delivered the medium height Zeiss ultralight (1.125") and need to mount and mess with it a bit, but honestly was disappointed on how high this will have to sit to clear ejection. My other barrel is a 300WSM so won't have any more clearane with that caliber either. If the 1.125" height won't work, I'll probably buy another extractor and try some light filing on the corner to see if I can lower the ejection angle. I am hoping to avoid 1.25" rings. Love the scope otherwise! I don't think there is a better elevation turret for this type of scope.

slowelk

WKR
I have the 4-16x42 on a Tikka 6.5PRC. Originally in Hawkins Ultralight Medium rings (1"), but had 50%+ failure to eject where the brass would hit the windage and bounce back into the chamber. I just got delivered the medium height Zeiss ultralight (1.125") and need to mount and mess with it a bit, but honestly was disappointed on how high this will have to sit to clear ejection. My other barrel is a 300WSM so won't have any more clearane with that caliber either. If the 1.125" height won't work, I'll probably buy another extractor and try some light filing on the corner to see if I can lower the ejection angle. I am hoping to avoid 1.25" rings. Love the scope otherwise! I don't think there is a better elevation turret for this type of scope.

Interesting. I have two of these atacrs, one on a tikka with a Murphy rail, in ARC m-brace 0.94” rings, and another on a Seekins havak with the same rings. Neither have this issue.

Macintosh

WKR
That seems odd to me. Dont have an atacr, but have had 2 scopes with similar-size windage turret mounted in low rings right above ejection port on 3 diff tikkas and have never had any issue With this. Is there a broken ejector part or something, or is the turret angled or in a different than normal position? Im kind of coveting an atacr, so am interested in that setup.

ande7824

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe mine has an odd ejection angle? What calibers are the rifles? My bolt is fluted but factory otherwise.

ETA: Pictures

Attachments

• 1676663858572.png
    1676663858572.png
    711 KB · Views: 87
  • 1676663881248.png
    1676663881248.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
Thanks to everyone who have chimed in so far!

I'm a bit torn on how I'm going to mount the scope. Spuhr 34mm height apparently should fit, but I'm not totally sold on the design with narrow ring spacing and aluminum material.
There are not too many options available for the 17mm dovetail and 34mm tubes for direct mounting. Picatinny rail would give a lot more choices for rings, but I'd rather use the direct mount as I have a few Tikkas I could swap the scope between if needed.
I'm actually starting to plan on making myself a custom set of rings if I can't find something I like from the shelf.

The search continues...