Nightforce 2.5‐10

19dsniper

FNG
I have noticed that there have been alot of Nightforce 2.5-10x for sale in the classifieds. Those of you who sold yours, what did you replace it with? I'm honestly a little surprised yo see so many changing hands. Is there something I should know? I was interested in purchasing one but there seems to be alot of movement on them and I don't want to be let down. I have a number of other NF optics and it would take alot for me to regret the purchase.

I have been looking at some other options for my light weight elk rifle. I have tried the VX5HD 3-15, Razor 3-15 LHT, Bushnell 3-12 LRTS. I am considering the Vortex Razor LHT in the higher magnification.

What have you guys switched to when you replaced your NF?

I am guessing a lot of them are going to a trijicon tenmile or credo hx, but I could be wrong. They are performing well in the drop tests and provide a little more magnification on the top end. I also read some mixed reviews on the reticle. Some people prefer FFP etc.

I have a 2.5-10x42 on order with nightforce to go on my new 280ai mountain rifle. I think 10x will be plenty for big game. I have a few other nightforce scopes (NXS and NX8) and have been pleased with them.

I for one am glad some are selling them, because I was able to pick one up recently here… besides being Second focal plane and limited reticles, I don’t know what’s not to like… the mag range might be a downfall for some, but it’s ideal for me.

Another possibility is they fit into that “boringly practical” category, and people like new and flashy.

I guess timing is everything?? A few months back I remember a number of threads on the NXS Compact and guys where all looking for them - most dealers where out of the MOAR reticle scope and everyone wanted one.

Not really sure why they are now popping up in the classifieds, maybe due to the economy?? I sure like mine, in the past year I've put one on all my prime hunting rifles.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Ask a sniper or member “Formidilous”(spelling) about optics. Their answers are eerily similar. Not sure exactly what Form’s job is. But seeing his responses and talking to my son and his sniper friends…. Makes me go hmmmmm.

OP

19dsniper

FNG
Ask a sniper or member “Formidilous”(spelling) about optics. Their answers are eerily similar. Not sure exactly what Form’s job is. But seeing his responses and talking to my son and his sniper friends…. Makes me go hmmmmm.
When I went thru sniper school we were using different optics at the time. My primary optic was a ANPVS10. Fixed 8x day/night scope mounted on the M24. We so used the Leupold M3A fixed 10x a d a Leupold MK4 4-14 on the .50 cal. I was convinced for the longest time that 10x was all I needed because that's what we mostly used... however, once my optic had to go in for service I used my personal NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1 and absolutely fell in love with higher magnification for longer ranges and better target identification.
Now the lowest I use on my hunting scopes is 3-15x. I know I always want more, but know that I don't really NEED more. I hope that if inwas to go with the 2.5-10x compact that I wouldn't WANT more even though it will do everything I need it to do. Who knows, maybe I need to look at the NX8. I'm just not sure that will really fit the bill as far as weight is concerned for this rifle.

By the way I greatly appreciate your son and what he is doing. I hope he is enjoying his time in the military. I don't think I could do it anymore with the way things have changed. I'm glad there are those like him who can.

OP

19dsniper

FNG
Please forgive the typos. I'm replying on my phone and fighting autocorrect. It won't let me edit for spelling, only option is to delete my reply.

When I went thru sniper school we were using different optics at the time. My primary optic was a ANPVS10. Fixed 8x day/night scope mounted on the M24. We so used the Leupold M3A fixed 10x a d a Leupold MK4 4-14 on the .50 cal. I was convinced for the longest time that 10x was all I needed because that's what we mostly used... however, once my optic had to go in for service I used my personal NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1 and absolutely fell in love with higher magnification for longer ranges and better target identification.
Now the lowest I use on my hunting scopes is 3-15x. I know I always want more, but know that I don't really NEED more. I hope that if inwas to go with the 2.5-10x compact that I wouldn't WANT more even though it will do everything I need it to do. Who knows, maybe I need to look at the NX8. I'm just not sure that will really fit the bill as far as weight is concerned for this rifle.

By the way I greatly appreciate your son and what he is doing. I hope he is enjoying his time in the military. I don't think I could do it anymore with the way things have changed. I'm glad there are those like him who can.
20oz scopes that are tough and reliable are few and far between. If you are willing to go up to 28-30oz, the NX8 and bigger NXSs are there. Trijicons as well although I think they may be closer to 25oz.

In 3-15/4-16 range you have Leupold VX5HD, Vortex LHT, Zeiss V4 that are probably your most popular lightweight scopes. I have owned all three.

I am good with a 10x on top for a 20oz scope that tough and reliable.

Please forgive the typos. I'm replying on my phone and fighting autocorrect. It won't let me edit for spelling, only option is to delete my reply.
with so many using phones for the internet, i don't even quietly judge typos:LOL:

i didn't even notice, they either weren't much for typos, or i'm too illiterate to notice

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just thought the reticle sucked on my 2.5-10, I’d lose it unless it was very bright out. Everything else about that scope was amazing, size, weight and features, I just couldn’t deal with the reticle.

Kurts86

WKR
If I dumped my NXS compact it would likely because I concluded I could live with an extra 1/2 lb on my rifle and buy another NX8/ATACR.

I had one and really liked it, but came to the realization that I’m not a long gun dude, and a red dot and a magnifier does everything I need to do on the rifles I use. If I changed my mind, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up another one in the future.

The 2.5-10’s are all good optics, biggest downside is the reticle options but they work for some people. The x24 and x32 also lack parallax adjustment which isn’t ideal. The x42 has it but the reticles are still just so so. I think most people also want more than 10x on the top end especially now that there are great 6, 7, 8, 9 and even 10x erector optics on the market so you can have magnification without sacrificing too much on the low end.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a 2.5-10 today for anything. I would buy a 1-10 instead like the razor or Vudu.

I recently got one of the 4.5-22 LHT’s and it’s a very nice optic for what I paid for it and for what you can get them for but I don’t think they’re worth the $1500 price tag. I paid $900 for a LNIB unit and I would pay $1100-$1200 delivered from a dealer but any more than that I think I’d step up to a MK5 as it’s worth the extra coin at that point.

WKR
I'd prefer the standard Mil-dot recticle but can make the Mil-R work. Actually using the Mil-R on a number of scopes, some FFP some SFP. May just be used to it.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I just thought the reticle sucked on my 2.5-10, I’d lose it unless it was very bright out. Everything else about that scope was amazing, size, weight and features, I just couldn’t deal with the reticle.

The reticles are my biggest issue with them.

If it was FFP with a bold mil-based hunting reticle (wider/solid outer bars), the 2.5-10 would be on a lot more of my rifles. Something like their FC-MIL with a crosshair rather than the dot/segmented circle would work, especially if only the crosshair was illuminated.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The reticles are my biggest issue with them.

If it was FFP with a bold mil-based hunting reticle (wider/solid outer bars), the 2.5-10 would be on a lot more of my rifles. Something like their FC-MIL with a crosshair rather than the dot/segmented circle would work, especially if only the crosshair was illuminated.

I agree, it could be about the ultimate but like I said, I’d loose the reticle and almost guess where the intersection of the crosshairs were sometimes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Couldnt you just turn on the illumination?

I’m never found the illumination to help all that much. Again this is just my experience/opinion. It sort of sucks to have to rely on illumination to be able to use you’re scope.