NICE frame daypack?

Anyone have a NICE frame setup as a daypack without a MR bag? Maybe a couple of pouches and a compression panel/load sling? If anyone has something rigged up like this, would you mind posting some pictures? Thanks.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a loadsling to do just that but so far nothing. I think I would get more use out of it than my 6500 bag. I have a CC with frame as well so it has not been a priority.

This is something I've been looking for also. There are a few options that I know of:

- Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack - This is a great set-up, and comes with most of the hardware needed to adapt it to a NICE frame. If you pick one up, feel free to contact me for how I attached mine. You'll need some small bits of hardware, and I can help with that, just PM me. You can see it here, though straped over a bigger bag. I use this set up with some simple straps for load carriage. I need to get some photos of that portion up for you guys though. I do not find the weight or expense of a load sling necessary for my purposes hauling meat.

- As you mentioned, a load sling with some pouches would get you some capacity.

- FHF Gear also had a design for a bag that slipped over the load sling. Here is a better description.

- The HPG compression panels could be adapted to a NICE frame fairly easily also.

I'm not entirely happy with any one of the options above though. I would love to see something purpose built as a daypack for the NICE frame.

God bless you and happy hunting,

Adam

Last edited:

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Good topic. I have been messing with this some but I'm not sure I've come up with an answer. I have a longbow bag for day to day stuff and I really like it, but I thought I might like to use the frame without the bag for times when I just wanted a few items and some water when I knew I was going in light and coming out with more, like a load of meat or maybe a pile of horns. I have a load sling and daypack lid. The issue I have is you can't cinch the sling down tight without some sort of load in it. So just putting molle pouches on it leaves you with a floppy mess. With the daypack lid full, it can be stuffed in the sling to fill the gap until another load can be put in. Now that I think about it, the daypack lid could be used for a small pack/compression panel sort of deal just by adding a couple of horizontal straps. I have a HPG Tarahumara and it will work for a compression panel, but again it rides loose until it has something stuffed under it. I've seen the FHF bag advertised but I can't find it for sale on their website. I picked up a heavy duty sewing machine and some materials and have been messing around, so this might be a good project.

OP
quackaddict
Clinch, how would that tara ride with something like a small frameless pack stuffed b/t it and the NICE frame? And how would the tara work to pack meat? Does it give enough compression to hold a bag of meat/quarters?

OP
quackaddict
I've seen the FHF bag advertised but I can't find it for sale on their website.

Sent Paul an email about them and here was his response:
I have only made a few one off prototype versions, and I'm trying to get out of the custom work for now.

I do still have a plan to make a final version and maybe get some produced, but I don't have a time frame on that right now.

-Paul Lewis

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Tara would work with a bag in between. It is as wide as the nice frame and just a few inches shorter, so by the time you add buckles there is a gap a few inches deep. You may be able to snug it down by itself by running the bottom straps over it up to the top. I figured I could use it if I wanted to take a dry bag in stead of the longbow. There is a creek some friends and I pack into to fish. (Won't get to go this summer) My plan was to have my Tara loaded with my fishing stuff, and use it as a compression panel on a dry bag full of my camping stuff. When we get to our camp spot the Tara would switch to my fishing daypack. As far as hauling meat, I don't know that was what the makers had in mind when they designed it, but is a sturdy well made bag and I think it would handle anything I want to carry. It might not hurt to contact HPG and ask them their opinion on that. Thanks for the info from FHF.

OP
quackaddict
Thanks for the info. Any modifications needed to run the tara on the frame? Or do the compression straps match up to hook-up points on the frame? I was looking at the tara pocket instead of the tara pack just to stay as cheap as possible for right now. I'm going to get a MR bag next year, but need to be as cheap as I can for this coming season.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. No mods needed. HPG designs their stuff to attach to different bags and frames so the Tara, and I would imagine the Tara pocket also, have a few loops to choose from. I tried this concept with a beat up ILBE I got for free and my Tara. I cut the main bag off the frame and salvaged the straps and buckles to attach the Tara along with some G-hooks. It actually worked pretty well. For me, 99 times out of 100 I will use the Longbow, but I like that this is an option.

OP
quackaddict
Right on. Thanks for the info. I'm going to get a MR bag next year, but this season, I've got to run as cheap as I can. I'm planning on picking up either a Longbow or a Metcalf, unless one of these new bags that MR is supposedly coming out with looks better.

Here is my Tactical Tailor Reomvable Operators pack with the straps I use for load carriage:

2014-05-30

2014-05-30

2014-05-30

2014-05-30

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I've used mine with just the daypack lid a few times. It is a little sloppy, but not bad. I put a bladder underneath it, and have extra straps like what cowboyarcher shows above. I can easily carry a quarter with it if necessary.

Father%2527s%2520Day%25202013%2520006.JPG

Father%2527s%2520Day%25202013%2520007.JPG

I used it this way in CO last year while archery deer hunting.
IMG_0242.JPG

The daypack lid fits more snugly up against the nice frame when you put a rain jacket, kill kit, and whatever else I had in between the lid and nice frame.

OP
quackaddict
Thanks for the photos guys. Cowboy, I like that setup. Looks pretty nice. I've looked at the lid too, and it seems like another good idea. I'm ready to get my hands on it. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but wasn't. Hopefully today...

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Both nice set ups for sure. Thanks to this thread I have all my stuff spread around the living room trying different ways of putting it together.

I have the Metcalf it's just s little big still for a day pack , but the longbow is the go to for me! It's just the right size for all day non overnight excursions.