NFA SBR items

I'm guessing someone has gone through the process. If purchasing a SBR rifle that was classified as such from the factory or by an individual, do I have to have a truster other paperwork before hand? Or do all the paper work once it arrives and is held at local shop? What is the process of creating an SBR from a non-NFA item, or re-listing a previous SBR back to an SBR? I am looking at AR lowers, but may also do the same for other rifles in the future.

If you’re going to do a trust you just need to establish the trust before you do your form 4.

If it’s already in the registry it comes to your dealer via a form 3 and then you do a form 4 to transfer it to yourself.

If you buy a lower or use one of your current lowers that’s not currently in the registry you “manufacture” an SBR and you’re the manufacturer and it’s a form 1. Since you’re the manufacturer you have the get the receiver engraved with the trusts name and the city and state as well. Plus caliber marking if it’s not visible on the barrel for the upper you’re using. You do a form 1, get your engraving done, and then once the paperwork is approved you can slap your upper on. You also have to provide OAL on the paperwork and such.

If you’re re registering a rifle or lower that was removed from the registry you would do the same form 1 process.

Buying a factory SBR on a form 4 is the easy button and cleaner since there’s no engraved roll marks other than the manufacturer. Form 1 is the far quicker option plus you can do whatever lower/upper configuration that you want but there’s a few more hoops you have to jump through since you’re the manufacturer.

If I was doing an SBR I’d buy a quality lower like LMT or something and form 1 it since it’s not a hard process.

Tex68w

WKR
NFA items transfer from one dealer to another on a Form 3 then once it arrives you complete the Form 4. A Form 3 transfer is often only 7-10 days so not much different than shipping any item. If you build an SBR off of a lower then you file a Form 1 which is often much quicker to get approved (via e-file) than a Form 4.

SBR Sarge

FNG
And historically a Form 1 moves much faster than a Form 4. It’s been a few years, but my 1s came back in about a month as opposed to many, many months for the 4s