News that’s gonna rock the mule deer world!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby:

Do you know if he’s been officially measured?
Yes, officially measured P&Y very recently. Now I don't know all the terminology on how "official" applies to velvet bucks, so I don't want to say too much. But yes, an official measurer determined that score. Now I see on here people saying it is a stag, and I don't understand how that works either. What say you Roy?

That buck won't (or shouldn't) make it into the book. It's an awesome buck...But it's a cactus buck. It doesn't have a true main beam on the right. Congrats to Gordon on the unique trophy.

bohntr

WKR
Yes, officially measured P&Y very recently. Now I don't know all the terminology on how "official" applies to velvet bucks, so I don't want to say too much. But yes, an official measurer determined that score. Now I see on here people saying it is a stag, and I don't understand how that works either. What say you Roy?

Cactus bucks are eligible for entry into P&Y.....but velvet entries are not eligible for WR status. B&C does not accept stags or velvet entries.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cactus bucks are eligible for entry into P&Y.....but velvet entries are not eligible for WR status. B&C does not accept stags or velvet entries.
OK, thanks for the clarify. He said he may not strip it, so it'll just be the biggest velvet buck out there. This guy doesn't seem to be motivated to hold the WR at this time. And he just told me that TWO official P&Y measurers, on different days, 4 months after the kill, scored the buck. Buck also had normal testicles.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Gordon Buck hasn't reported a net score yet, the Sask buck was 291 net. Also, Ed Broder was 355 net, 10 inches bigger than this buck's gross..... Just saying.... ;)
sure, I get all that, but Colorado just put out it's 3rd buck north of 300 gross in last 11 years. And around here, nets are for fish.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I missed this at the bottom of the Black Ovis email:

"Arguably the Gordon Buck may soon be numbered in an elite circle as one of the top five most outstanding big game animals ever taken by a bowhunter."

cool beans