Newfoundland Timing

tim88

FNG
Looking to book our first guided hunt, found an outfitter in Newfoundland that my dad uncle and I are interested in. for 2026 they have the second & 3rd week of September or 2nd & 3rd week of october.

I was hoping for the first week of october to try and hit the rut but would you roll the dice on 2 weeks early or 1 week later? I think they had 2 slots open the first week of october so I could always try a 3x1 deal let my dad & uncle go first and if I get a chance pay up but I'm not sure if the outfitter would be open to that idea, if it would be feasible and if it would put too much pressure on everyone.

its in northeast newfoundland if that makes a difference, my hope is that by october hurricanes have blown through, so we might miss peak rut but still catching tail end on october 11th-17th

Sako76

WKR
I hunted moose in 2022 out of Peter Strides, 10/3-9, a buddy and myself both shot moose (34” and 30”) the moose were just starting to rut. The guides said the best week to hunt was the next week.

In 2015 I hunted the first week of rifle, it rained everyday and I never saw a moose. Good luck!

Boston1

FNG
I hunted the 3rd week of Sep (2023) in the NW corner of NL. In speaking with the guides you'll see rut activity in all of those weeks. It will peak around the first of October but all of those weeks are great. They've actually seen rut activity go into November. I was there just as the hurricane (Lee?) came through. Weather was snotty nasty with high winds, rain and lots of fog. It was a tough week of hunting but our camp seen nice bulls every day despite the weather. On the 4th day our weather broke briefly and we called in a nice young bull from 1200 yards. He was a 9 pt about 32-33" spread. I was happy. I'd plan extra days for travel just in case a hurricane does come through and delays the ferry or flights. You'll have a great time!

OP
T

tim88

FNG
I hunted the 3rd week of Sep (2023) in the NW corner of NL. In speaking with the guides you'll see rut activity in all of those weeks. It will peak around the first of October but all of those weeks are great. They've actually seen rut activity go into November. I was there just as the hurricane (Lee?) came through. Weather was snotty nasty with high winds, rain and lots of fog. It was a tough week of hunting but our camp seen nice bulls every day despite the weather. On the 4th day our weather broke briefly and we called in a nice young bull from 1200 yards. He was a 9 pt about 32-33" spread. I was happy. I'd plan extra days for travel just in case a hurricane does come through and delays the ferry or flights. You'll have a great time!
I scheduled for the 2nd week of october, my hope is that the hurricanes have mostly passed by then. I plan to drive up to ottowa then direct flight to newfoundland to hopefully make life easier, i'm not sure what my dad & uncle will get for flights but I figure 3hours driving + crossing customs to get a direct flight isn't a bad option