Newfoundland Moose

vtmooser

FNG
Went with Ironbound in 2021. Nothing but a shit show for a trophy fly-in hunt. From the lack of communications, to a over hunted spike camp(according to our guides),to costing me an additional $700 to have horns shipped back. Mark overbooks for the big$$$. PM me for all the details.

vtmooser

FNG
We had a very long chat at the airport, after our disappointed hunt with our outfitter, with the head guide and owner of Arluk outfitters and was impressed. They also close the last week of the season to keep the population up. Maybe worth a call !!

I’m booked with Lake Douglas Outfitters for this coming season. Came by recommendation from a colleague. He is a 7 time returning customer for them. They have spike camp and lodge hunt options.
My father is booked with them this year as well as he got in with a group that needed someone. I'm going in 2024 with my buddy and some others. Looking forward to it. My buddy went in 2021 and killed a smaller bull on the first day. Being he did the spike camp, they were in there for a few days following and he said they saw numerous larger bulls before they came out.

vdocLU164

FNG
What you have to take into consideration about Newfoundland is an outfitter may have 5 different camps that are all completely different with different guides. To say this outfitter is good may be true but which exact camp may be the better question.
Definitely different camps have different guides and lodging and a lot of variations. But when the owner blows you off with issues you present him then to me that whole outfitter isn't worth the time even if there are good guides and camps. But that's just my opinion from my experiences.

Treeman85

FNG
My father is booked with them this year as well as he got in with a group that needed someone. I'm going in 2024 with my buddy and some others. Looking forward to it. My buddy went in 2021 and killed a smaller bull on the first day. Being he did the spike camp, they were in there for a few days following and he said they saw numerous larger bulls before they came out.
I have been trying with no luck to get a hold of the Lake Douglas folks. The mail box is full on the phone and the email links. Anyone else having a strange experience this year trying to contact them?

I have been trying with no luck to get a hold of the Lake Douglas folks. The mail box is full on the phone and the email links. Anyone else having a strange experience this year trying to contact them?
Lake Douglas is a good guy, but he does have a communication problem. He needs an office manager, or something....

.30LWC

FNG
stay far away from gander river outfitters
I went to Gander River Outfitters last fall. It was everything I wanted in a first moose hunt. I asked a lot of questions, did research and everything was just as it was explained to me. The only thing that was not was that the meat processing and transport home were more than expected but that was not their fault. I knew it would be given the rising costs of everything. It’s not a remote hunt and it would not be my first choice for a hard core big bull hunt but it was still a great semi remote adventure. Great experience, all the way around. I would go back in a second.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
We had a good experience with Portland Creek in 2021. Big outfit with many fly in camps. Ive seen both love and hate for most of the popular NF outfitters on these discussions over the past years. I think the quality of the people they hire matters a lot and is out of our control.

Treeman85

FNG
Anyone try Dashwood Outfitters? They seem new to the guiding scene but saw some good reviews.

I had the opposite experience with Efford’s. I hunted right when hurricane Fiona hit and they did a good job flying us to camp especially since everything was backed up due to weather. We had three guides in camp, three hunters. I shot a moose on my first day and had a great guide Tristan. We walked some serious miles and when I shot my moose across the river, we swam 250 yards across to quarter him up. Was an epic hunt. Also bagged a bear a couple days later. Not sure what the last guy’s level of hunt was but Bob does have tiers of hunts from drive in, floats and Trophy. Some of the lower tier hunts you’ll be 2x1 but I don’t think that is a bad thing in some ways. May guys talk about how great a hunter they are then on the second day don’t want to hum the miles to get to the moose. I saw that where I was. Tell Bob and now Lucas what you want and they’ll do their best to pair you up with the right guide/ camp. However, I did have a very bad experience getting my bear back. We had to wait for a CITES tag and they never processed the bear before. Feel free to PM and I’ll fill you in. Check out my hunt on YouTube:

JeffNC

FNG
Any recommendations specifically on an outfitter for a trophy fly in hunt? I’m brand new to this post and looking to go in 2024.

JeffNC

FNG
I had the opposite experience with Efford’s. I hunted right when hurricane Fiona hit and they did a good job flying us to camp especially since everything was backed up due to weather. We had three guides in camp, three hunters. I shot a moose on my first day and had a great guide Tristan. We walked some serious miles and when I shot my moose across the river, we swam 250 yards across to quarter him up. Was an epic hunt. Also bagged a bear a couple days later. Not sure what the last guy’s level of hunt was but Bob does have tiers of hunts from drive in, floats and Trophy. Some of the lower tier hunts you’ll be 2x1 but I don’t think that is a bad thing in some ways. May guys talk about how great a hunter they are then on the second day don’t want to hum the miles to get to the moose. I saw that where I was. Tell Bob and now Lucas what you want and they’ll do their best to pair you up with the right guide/ camp. However, I did have a very bad experience getting my bear back. We had to wait for a CITES tag and they never processed the bear before. Feel free to PM and I’ll fill you in. Check out my hunt on YouTube:
I see you flew out of Raleigh. I’m in Greensboro. Once i get set up for PM I’ll send you a message. I’m looking for a 2024 hunt.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great trophy fly in hunt at Effords. Theres a couple things Id change but as far as the actual hunt was great and Id go back. How his other moose hunts are I dont know. Feel free to contact me id be happy to discuss my trip.