Newfoundland Moose

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey guys - looking to do a moose hunt in 2023. Anyone know of a decent outfitter in Newfoundland? Hoping not everyone is already booked up.

Thanks!

keller

WKR
A lot of options in newfoundland and they are not all booked out several years .figure out what kind of hunt you want and your expectations. If you want to hunt moose for the meat or want an opportunity for a large bull??

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I had hunted with Effords on a trophy hunt last year and had a great hunt. He does do alot of non trophy fly in hunts as well the prices vary although I have read some reviews that wernt great on the cheaper hunts. You just gotta decide what kind of a hunt your looking for to narrow it down and then start researching and making phone calls. If you want any info about the hunt I went on feel free to PM me.

gfh363

FNG
I highly recommend Red Indian Lake Tours and Outfitters Fred and Shirley will make sure you have a quality hunt!

Thanks all! Starting to contact these suggestions. Love Rokslide.
I would've suggested that you attend the Huntin Time Expo, but that is postponed for a couple years until a new venue is located. There were a couple outfitters that exhibited there, and both were reputable. Like some of the others here have previously stated; you get what you pay for. I paid for an experience, of which I got, and also lucked out with a moose. It was no trophy, but a fun hunt none the less. Lots of good information on here, so do some research and read the hunt reports. What you are looking for will show up, and you will just need to make some calls. If you have questions, please feel free to PM any of the other posters on here. We will be glad to help you out.

We did a Father Son NL Moose hunt Oct 2022 with Big River Camps. It was a remote fly out hunt departing from Deer Lake NL. Saw two very good racks leave with hunters departing as we arrived. Son shot a decent bull and I shot a small bull near the end of our hunt but honestly, we killed the only two bulls that we saw. Suggest you try for one of the earlier hunt dates to have first crack at the mature bulls in their hunt area.

Attachments

• 6d1a Eastern Canada Moose 28 Sep 2022 SDJ.jpg
    6d1a Eastern Canada Moose 28 Sep 2022 SDJ.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 97
I’m booked with Lake Douglas Outfitters for this coming season. Came by recommendation from a colleague. He is a 7 time returning customer for them. They have spike camp and lodge hunt options.

I’m booked with Lake Douglas Outfitters for this coming season. Came by recommendation from a colleague. He is a 7 time returning customer for them. They have spike camp and lodge hunt options.
He's a good guy. I road hunted with him. If you stay at the lodge, you'll be road hunting & competing with the locals. I got a big fat cow. At the lodge, you'll be eating well. Treated like a king.

If you go spike, it's a far drive from the lodge... and you'll be there until you get something. I never did the spike camp. I did the lodge.

Millertown.

I’m booked for the spike camp option. Hoping the chances of bagging a bigger one are higher since the border was closed for a couple years!! I chose the spike camp route right during rut.

I went opening week, and there was no moose movement. They say you need to go during the rut. Took me 8 days just to get a cow.

I hunted with Red Indian Lake years ago. Their recent prices are caribou crazy !!! But he's a good guy, with a nice lodge. $19,000 for a Caribou is insane. At the current prices, not sure I'd go back. If you can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to use Red Indian. It's drivable from the ferry or airport.

NYhunter

FNG
I had a very good fly in hunt in 2021 with Ironbound outfitters… pm with questions
PorterNY, sorry I'm new here (stumbled upon this while reading up on outfitters) and I guess I can't pm you...my buddy and I are planning on booking a trip with ironbound and was wondering if you could tell me how it was. We are also from WNY, so it'd be great to hear about your trip. Thanks!

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I would be happy to discuss the whole trip with you and provide pics of travel and Ironbound accommodations… just PM me when you get your honors… I can’t put my phone number up on the forum

vdocLU164

FNG
I've gone on two NL moose hunts. One was this past October and one was 10 years earlier. This past hunt we went with Effords. Unfortunately I would not recommend them. We had 5 hunters in our group and were supposed to have 5 guides but when we flew into camp there was only 3 so we had two guides with 2 hunters each. My father and myself were bow hunters. The other 3 were rifle hunters. The guide I was with along with a rifle hunter took me in and for a whole day sat me in a bog by myself with no caller or anything. The bog was about 200 yards long and 100 yards deep. He said if a moose came out odds are it would walk close. It was complete BS. Just didn't want to deal with a bow hunter. Two of the guides didn't like the 3rd one because he stayed out all day. Which was part of our issue with the other two guides. We would hunt about 4 hours a day while the other guide who had 1 hunter hunted all day. I could go on and on about the issues with the 2 guides but the nail in the coffin was when we got back to base area and told Bob efford, the owner, he pretty much blew us off didn't even offer an apology.

The first time I went the outfitter was parsons pond and they were great just so far north on the island that it was very difficult for bow hunting because there was no cover. The moose were taller than the majority of trees.

I'll definitely be heading back to NL again to try and complete my goal of taking a moose with my bow. Just don't know what outfitter I'll try next.