Newer full sized pickup truck experiences?

OP
J
That's just crazy! Both for the autos and for homes.
Im being a bit hyperbolic on the vehicles, but the dealers around here aren't going to "play" more than a grand or two on the price of a vehicle... in fact, some dealerships are putting a 500/1500 "demand fee" on top of the asking price. The Toyota dealers don't play whatsoever, either pay the price or GTFO.

I wasn't kidding about the housing market though. We recently bought a house and we had to offer 15k over to even be considered because everyone was offering 10-20k over asking price.

OP
J
You might want to consider a "gently used" truck.

I bought this the summer of 2019 for $38,500 from a dealer. It's a 2017 2500 crew cab, 8' bed, with a Cummins Turbo Diesel and it had 35,000 miles on it. It's a monster. I put the tires and rims on it recently. It seems like the price of used autos has increased a fair amount since then though.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm looking for. Something gently used. I've found a handful of 1-2 year old F150s XLTs Crew Cab with either the 3.5 or 5.0 for 33-35k with only 20-30 on the odometer. The RAMs are all over the place. The Silverados are a bit more than both for equal wear/year model.

Phlapen

FNG
So, here in the next 6 or so weeks we'll be adding another little one to the family. I currently drive a Colorado Crew Cab, and while I have zero complaints, I gotta say its a little cramped as it is... and I know adding another kid is only gonna make that issue worse.

I could buy a shell for the truck and keep running it... but there's also the matter of having access to a camper that's right at the weight limit for the truck I have now. Should I want to use it, I'm gonna have to borrow someone else's truck to pull it more than likely.

In any case, I'm on the lookout(but in no rush) for something 2017 or newer, full sized pickup. I won't be buying diesel.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 - seems these get so-so reviews. A lot of people complaining about the interior and some other issues. If I bought one, it would be the V8.

Ford F150 - Coming from Chevrolets, I'm really curious about this one. Seems the tow capacity is a bit on the lower end. My only hang up is that most of the used ones floating around have the 10 speed - seems like some people have great luck with it, while other people can't keep the things on the road. If I bought one, again I'd probably go V8. I see the ecoboosts get good reviews, but the longevity with the turbos scares me.

Ram 1500/Toyota Tundra - I put these in the same category because I'm unfamiliar with each of these, but I'm willing to give them a shot. The Toyota is probably bomb-proof, but they're pretty proud of them. The Ram, seems like its hit or miss, with electrical issues being the top complaint. I'd love to hear about your Ram experience - is the Hemi your best bet outside the Cummins?

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the above, 2017 or newer? Care to elaborate? As far as the Ford goes, even if you don't have experience with the V8, if you have experience with the 10 speed I'd like to hear about it. I'm just looking for something reliable above everything else. I don't care about flashiness, or many creature comforts. As long as its got cruise control, and gets me in/out of the woods in one piece not on a tow truck I'm good.

Thanks in advance.
Ram 2500 with a mega cab is tough to beat. Tons of room in the back seat and comfortable. Plus will pull anything. Downside is not awesome on rutted nasty roads.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you looked at the ram eco diesel?
They get decent reviews, good mpg and according to some automotive journals it's the ONLY diesel that actually makes the price point pay for itself. I don't own one but lots of people love them. Also, what's your budget??
@Ryan Avery has one of these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My wife has a 2019 Silverado. They took 6” from the bed and added to the cab. It has enough room for 3 kids in the back all
Our luggage for vacation under the seats. It rides like a cloud. No road noise. It’s snazzy. I drive a crew cab Colorado and while we take it places and we all
Fit and can ride but not like the Silverado
I have a 19 gmc sierra 4 door and feel the exact same way. Z71 4x4 locking diff. 5.3 v8 is awesome, wranglers with Kevlar do me just fine in high country. Mine has a topper too, it is in my opinion the ultimate hunting vehicle

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im being a bit hyperbolic on the vehicles, but the dealers around here aren't going to "play" more than a grand or two on the price of a vehicle... in fact, some dealerships are putting a 500/1500 "demand fee" on top of the asking price. The Toyota dealers don't play whatsoever, either pay the price or GTFO.

I wasn't kidding about the housing market though. We recently bought a house and we had to offer 15k over to even be considered because everyone was offering 10-20k over asking price.
LOL! The whole west coast is too close to Japan. LOL. That doesn’t happen around Detroit. 😊

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
best engine I've ever had 7.3 powerstroke, in a 2000 model, it's still running but just an old ranch truck now.
My brother is still running an early excursion with the 7.3. Extremely easy to work on and bulletproof.

OP
J
Ya know what's more reliable than a tundra,
88-99 silverado w/350, better mpg, cheap to buy, easy to fix, Jesus will show up before it dies.

There, no more tundra talk.
Dude those things will run like shit longer than most will run period

Im not against a suburban, but at the same time I'm not the least bit enthusiastic about it either. It just doesn't appeal to me - same with the Expeditions, or any SUV for that matter. I like being able to keep dirty stuff outside... worrying about blood/cooler/etc leaking in the cab isn't for me. I know you can buy bins, mats and stuff to protect against it, it just seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Those are the reasons why I am not driving an SUV either.

Sconnie42

FNG
So, here in the next 6 or so weeks we'll be adding another little one to the family. I currently drive a Colorado Crew Cab, and while I have zero complaints, I gotta say its a little cramped as it is... and I know adding another kid is only gonna make that issue worse.

I could buy a shell for the truck and keep running it... but there's also the matter of having access to a camper that's right at the weight limit for the truck I have now. Should I want to use it, I'm gonna have to borrow someone else's truck to pull it more than likely.

In any case, I'm on the lookout(but in no rush) for something 2017 or newer, full sized pickup. I won't be buying diesel.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500 - seems these get so-so reviews. A lot of people complaining about the interior and some other issues. If I bought one, it would be the V8.

Ford F150 - Coming from Chevrolets, I'm really curious about this one. Seems the tow capacity is a bit on the lower end. My only hang up is that most of the used ones floating around have the 10 speed - seems like some people have great luck with it, while other people can't keep the things on the road. If I bought one, again I'd probably go V8. I see the ecoboosts get good reviews, but the longevity with the turbos scares me.

Ram 1500/Toyota Tundra - I put these in the same category because I'm unfamiliar with each of these, but I'm willing to give them a shot. The Toyota is probably bomb-proof, but they're pretty proud of them. The Ram, seems like its hit or miss, with electrical issues being the top complaint. I'd love to hear about your Ram experience - is the Hemi your best bet outside the Cummins?

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the above, 2017 or newer? Care to elaborate? As far as the Ford goes, even if you don't have experience with the V8, if you have experience with the 10 speed I'd like to hear about it. I'm just looking for something reliable above everything else. I don't care about flashiness, or many creature comforts. As long as its got cruise control, and gets me in/out of the woods in one piece not on a tow truck I'm good.

Thanks in advance.
I've owned to F150s and drove the first one to 192K with no issues other than regular maintenance, and the second to 208K with only one issue with the 4WD engaging when it shouldn't. $100 to fix that. Other than that, the truck still had the original battery, alternator, transmission and engine. I felt that the brakes wore poorly on both. The last one was a 2005. I now have a Tundra and went with it over another Ford because I fell in love with being able to roll down the full rear window and I couldn't get past the Ford front window shapes....trivial, I know. With the Tundra, you spend 5-10k Less than the Ford for same features. I really like my Tundra, and know I would have been happy in another Ford. Just my two cents. Good luck with your search

Gutless method and coolers. I also have a hitch hoist my Dad made me. Works like a charm. I have been hunting out of mine for over 15 years now and multiple states/species. Never had to worry about putting bloody things in it.

View attachment 274898
That’s awesome. Not saying that it can’t be done, it’s the fact that I would end up putting stuff in the back of it and ruining it.

following. in the same position.... newer truck to be purchased in the next year or so. leaning towards the Tundra.

180ls1

WKR
following. in the same position.... newer truck to be purchased in the next year or so. leaning towards the Tundra.

If you want reliability/longevity/dependability there is no question Toyota is at the top. If you want cool features they are at the bottom.

It pains me to say, however, i'm currently at 202K in my Lexus (Toyota V8) and it's amazing how much more reliable and better built it is compared to the previous domestics I've owned.

WKR
I'm going to need to see the new Tundra in a few months. I only have a need for light towing and it may work okay. The 2015 is at 120,000 miles and going strong so I have a few years before I need to get another. If not the Tundra, going Ram 2500 is my current thought although I wish the Ram was built in America.

Its a great time to sell a used vehicle for sure. Tripped my son's Tacoma and our 2003 4runner in the last 6 weeks for top money on both.

Thought I would give an update. My truck was delivered 8-1. Got about 3k miles on it now. In Eco mode I get 12-13 around town and 16-18 on the highway. Offroad this thing is a beast, rear locker is great.. Really like the factory winch..Havent towed with yet but did have almost 2800lbs of feed in in no issues.. With xplan and PCO I a got almost 10k under invoice...Very happy so far.
59419.jpeg

20210809_102103.jpg

I traded a '15 RAM Laramie Ecoboost for a 5th Gen CPO '19 RAM Limited this summer. The 5th Gen 1500 RAM crew cab is either the same or damn near the same size as the Megacab. It is YUUUGE inside, so much so that the back seats recline which my kids love. Also no transmission hump in the back seat, so you can lift the 60/40 and have a flat surface for dogs, groceries, etc...

-Air ride suspension is smoother than a luxury car and has 5 selectable ride heights including 2 off road modes that provide additional lift over obstacles
-Air ride also auto adjusts the ride height with trailer weight to ensure everything is level
-5.7 Hemi has power for days and is bulletproof
-11" infotainment and 19 speaker stereo is incredible
-Panoramic roof
-RAMBOX storage system is great for hitches, tools, recovery straps, gloves, coats, etc..., and saves a good amount of cab space
-17 mpg over 2,650 miles (Western IA to Northwest MT) during early bugle hunt in MT, cruise set from 85-89 the entire trip
-Interior treatments are high quality and driver/passenger seats are the most comfortable I've ever had

Just a great truck so far. Family was all GM for 30 years, but the GM trucks rust out in only a few years and the build quality went downhill quickly starting with new body in 2000. My "sunburnt silverado" is bedless and the frame just bent like a paper clip the other day when I hooked up to my water trailer.