Newbie Arrow weight question

I’m trying to speed up my arrows a little bit. I hunt mostly white tails and hogs but starting to extend my range for a future western hunt. Seems like the FOC Higher than it needs to be.
Can I just reduce my broadheads from 125 to 100? Or is it worth pulling the inserts?
I have 18 of the arrows and I get pass throughs on hogs. I’d like to keep them.

Here’s my current set up:
Vector HMR 300
105 grain insert
125 grain broadheads (QAD exodus)
TAW 591
FOC 15.9%
DW 60
DL 28.5
Bow is an Elite Impulse 34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
You definitely can reduce your point weight. As said, you'll gain some. I'd get new arrows and cut 100 grains of arrow/insert weight. Penetration is gained from the broadhead design primarily. I'd keep the 125 heads and go to a 325-350 spine arrow with a 50-75 grain component. Total arrow weight around 440-490.

FYI Contact Archery is the new Vector/Method and they are selling HMR. I started building for them recently, good guys.

Last edited:

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely can reduce your point weight. As said, you'll gain some. I'd get new arrows and cut 100 grains of arrow/insert weight. Penetration is gained from the broadhead design primarily. I'd keep the 125 heads and go to a 325-350 spine arrow with a 50-75 grain component. Total arrow weight around 440-490.

FYI Contact Archery is the new Method and they are selling HMR. I started building for them recently, good guys.
This is solid advice and where I'd try to be on arrow weight .. like mighty mouse said 25 grains isn't really gonna gain much.

dtrkyman

WKR
I would use those arrows as is and build a different arrow if you want some speed.

If you could get the inserts out I suppose you could go that route but getting 18 inserts out clean would be a challenge unless you used hot melt?

Dennis

WKR
I don’t think I would change anything to gain speed. Your set up is giving you good success on animals and will be a great setup out west.

OP
jeffhelland
Thanks for the help.

I think I’m going to keep this set up and build up some lighter arrows as suggested.

I can try my hand at building arrows while having a back up that works.

Marble

WKR
With the OPs set up, I would do new arrows with either 100 or 125 heads. Standard weight inserts, arrows cut to proper length. About 1 1/2 -2" short than your DL. I think he could also move to a 350 spine with less point weight. The end result would probably be 450-475 grains.

590 grains at 60 lbs is pretty heavy for the draw weight.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
With the OPs set up, I would do new arrows with either 100 or 125 heads. Standard weight inserts, arrows cut to proper length. About 1 1/2 -2" short than your DL. I think he could also move to a 350 spine with less point weight. The end result would probably be 450-475 grains.

590 grains at 60 lbs is pretty heavy for the draw weight.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Agreed. For whitetail and hogs I'm sure that HMR is fantastic. But for anything with unknown ranges and a little more distance, a little more speed is really beneficial. Don't get crazy with it but a 450-475 grain arrow would be ideal. Super durable still and not too fast. Great setup. Use a sharp fixed and call it a day.

Last edited:
I dont think your FOC is too high. FOC only helps with penetration and accuracy. I would keep your FOC at 16% MINIMUM. Ive had really good results at 18.7%.

I think your arrow is too heavy though for hunting out west, id shoot a lighter gpi shaft and put as much of your arrow weight in the front. An overall weight of 440-460 grns and 16-18% FOC will give you a great balance of penetration and speed.

RIP TKOs seem to have the lightest GPI for the stiffer spines, but they are pretty spendy. Ive liked them a lot though.

You can use whatever combo of point weight and insert you want. But id shoot for probably 180 grns combined between both. Keep your tail as light as you can, TAC vanes are crazy light and steer better than anything else ive found as well as quiet due to their stiffness. Dont do a wrap, those are a fad for making arrows pretty at the expense of performance.

OP
jeffhelland
I got antsy and bought some cheap Mossy Oak 250 spine arrows from Wal Mart. I know it’s just relative but it seems like they’re twice as fast.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlesbutler1