Newbee Looking for a budget pack that can handle some serious weight

jayhawk

WKR
Check camofire.com regularly. They’ll have deals on there for MR and other packs from time to time

I tried most and ended up in an Eberlestock F1 Tall frame and Vapor 7200 bag. I've never maxed it out. They don't make the 7200 bag anymore, but they are out there. I use the frame with other bag options too. I reconfigure as my needs dictate.

Dave0317

WKR
I haven’t owned the packs you mention, but I have my share of experience with cheap packs.

You haven’t mentioned your budget yet, but of the brands you mention, they aren’t super cheap. Of the three, the Mystery Ranch is often seen in comparison reviews amongst the other top brands. Badlands and Alps you usually don’t see mentioned in the same sentence as Exo or Kifaru. Mystery ranch can be found on sale pretty often for just over $300. You also might be near a price range that could get you a great quality used pack.

If we are overestimating your budget…the only thing under $300 id recommend is a Military ruck of some sort. You may be sacrificing light weightedness and a little comfort, but you will get an affordable, very tough, and easy to use pack that can carry over 100 pounds. But if it gets you in the mountains, it’s worth it. It’s what I use for now. But, I also have the experience with them to set them up in a way that works for my body and I know what to expect after many years, many pounds carried, and many miles walked.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great deal on a very solid pack… for retail price, I feel like there’s several much better options…. For under $300 I don’t think anything comes close to a Metcalf

HouseCL

FNG
Buy a used MR metcalf off the rokslide classifieds. They can be had for lowish 200s if you’re patient. By far the best bang for your buck

Eberlestock is probably the most budget friendly. Get the mainframe and strap your regular backpack to it if you're in a huge budget crunch. Mystery ranch following close behind on cost

If you don't mind used, you can find an Exo K2 or K3 or Kifaru duplex with bag for sub $500