Newb needing help

Hey guys, first big game hunt this year (elk in Colorado). I've only hunted small game before so needless to say, I'm doing a lot of gearing up. I've picked the rifle (Savage Engage 30-06); now I'm looking at scopes, but I just don't know much about optics. I'm thinking mid-range on the price and this one looked good to me in terms of bang for the buck: Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS Wind-Plex. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good combo with the rifle I picked, or anything else I should know before buying? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Should be plenty of scope and they are well designed! Good luck on your hunt,

B rad

FNG
Shot my first elk with a savage 30-06 and a 40$ scope. You don't need anything special if your not shooting to far out. I practiced for 150yds as I live on the coast. Good luck out there!

DRUSS

WKR
that's better glass than my first couple bulls fell too. not sure if CDS is needed or not? depending on your shots expected.

OP
FirstTimer
@wannakillabigbull Honestly, almost all my rifle experience is with M4s. I've only shot a 30-06 a handful of times, so I can't honestly say what my max range will be, but I'm guessing 250-300 yards for this year. I really wanna know wth I'm doing before trying to go much farther than that. And @DRUSS, it does have the CDS, which seems like it could come in handy, but if I didn't need it I don't guess it'd be hurting anything up there.

Really appreciate the info from all you guys.

it does have the CDS, which seems like it could come in handy, but if I didn't need it I don't guess it'd be hurting anything up there.

Adding an exposed turret introduces another mode of failure. I personally don't recommend an exposed turret hunting scope to anyone that doesn't need it because they can get bumped easily enough and cause you to miss a shot. With a capped turret you have one less thing to worry about.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s a vx3i 3-5-10 without CDs in the classified adds for 300 bucks, I’d go by that.

Ps, it isn’t my scope for sale, I just saw it there, seemed like a solid deal.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good morning and welcome to RS,
It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000.
Doug

Beendare

WKR
Since olionions are like - you know what.....

$550 rifle just needs a scope that will hold its zero. Plenty of those, i wouldnt spend big bucks now.

You probably will upgrade your rifle and scope in the future- most guys do ... i would keep it simple now.

OP
FirstTimer
Adding an exposed turret introduces another mode of failure. I personally don't recommend an exposed turret hunting scope to anyone that doesn't need it because they can get bumped easily enough and cause you to miss a shot. With a capped turret you have one less thing to worry about.
@wannakillabigbull, I took your advice on the CDS and went with a version of the same scope that doesn't have that, which made it a little cheaper too. Appreciate everyone who gave me some input. Thanks!