New Zealand Safaris experiences???

Torrent50

FNG
Looking into a red stag and tahr hunt in New Zealand with Jim Gibson at New Zealand Safaris. Wondering if anyone has hunted with them and would be willing to share your opinion(s)/experience. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t comment re this person, but would recommend my friend who is also a guide. PM and can give details if interested.

Bowfisher

FNG
No info to help you but give us a good report when you return. I'd love to get there someday. Do the two critters you mentioned and then do a bunch of culling on goats and pigs with the bow. Night possum shoot would be epic also.

I had several talks with him prior to me booking my new zealand hunt. We ended up going with a different outfitter. Jim seemed like a great person and very personable. His tahr hunts are on private land and don't utilize a helicopter to get you into the area which is nice to not have to pay, however I was looking for a more physical wilderness tahr hunt. We used helicopters to access the alpine and were dropped until I killed my bull. Those areas the helicopters bring you is amazing but a very physical hunt. I would say if you looking for a nice bull tahr without using helicopters in an area not as "extreme" as the wilderness areas NZ safaris would be a good bet.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Tahr

FNG
If you come here, get the real hunting experience. Which isn't buzzing around in a helicopter and then being dropped off near a good bull Tahr or Red stag to kill it. Or shooting an animal behind a fence.

Hunt private land by all means and use a helicopter for access, but use your legs and do some hard yards in our beautiful mountains. You will appreciate our stunning scenery more and gain greater satisfaction from your trophy.

Look for a guide who offers the real Kiwi experience but will fit the hunt around your physical abilities.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
If you come here, get the real hunting experience. Which isn't buzzing around in a helicopter and then being dropped off near a good bull Tahr or Red stag to kill it. Or shooting an animal behind a fence.

Hunt private land by all means and use a helicopter for access, but use your legs and do some hard yards in our beautiful mountains. You will appreciate our stunning scenery more and gain greater satisfaction from your trophy.

Look for a guide who offers the real Kiwi experience but will fit the hunt around your physical abilities.
100000%

When I went all the guys prior to me did the helicopter assist hunt as described above. Just essentially find a bull. Drop off the hunter and the hunter shoots it and your head back. It was so much more enjoyable hiking those mountains and sleeping up there. The views are incredible.
5b9a464795be2d792807f5ac4c05df78.jpg
85a33faef801b945786a9c2fa914875b.jpg
de62a2cbf9d871cfbb65b4c9d54faa72.jpg

OP
T

Torrent50

FNG
I understand I'm not getting a backcountry type of hunt. No helicopters for me though. I am more than happy to put in the miles on my boots to get to an animal. Really looking forward to it. Booked for May 25.

Last edited:
I understand I'm not getting a backcountry type of hunt. No helicopters for me though. I am more than happy to put in the miles on my boss to get to an animal. Really looking forward to it. Booked for May 25.
I'm sure you will have a great hunt. Those animals are beautiful and the whole country is a beautiful place. Enjoy every minute of it