New Zealand Outfitters

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
I've decided to pull the trigger on a bucket list New Zealand hunt. I'd like to hunt Red Stag, Fallow Buck, Chamois, and Tahr. I'd like to have 9-12 days and a good chance at filling all the tags and really enjoy the mountains.
If anyone has recommendations based on their personal experience, I'd appreciate any reviews, suggestions, or warnings. My searches here and on the web in general have not yielded anything I'd call solid leads.
Thanks for any help you can provide, Roksliders!

WCB

WKR
I've decided to pull the trigger on a bucket list New Zealand hunt. I'd like to hunt Red Stag, Fallow Buck, Chamois, and Tahr. I'd like to have 9-12 days and a good chance at filling all the tags and really enjoy the mountains.
If anyone has recommendations based on their personal experience, I'd appreciate any reviews, suggestions, or warnings. My searches here and on the web in general have not yielded anything I'd call solid leads.
My wife and I hunted Chamois, Tahr, and a couple Arapawa Sheep. We went with New Zealand Horn and Antler Safaris. Could not recommend them enough. Basically like hunting with family.

My wife and I hunted Chamois, Tahr, and a couple Arapawa Sheep. We went with New Zealand Horn and Antler Safaris. Could not recommend them enough. Basically like hunting with family.
I'm hunting with them next April for stag and tahr! Was suppose to be this year. I have heard so many great things about them. They have been great to work with and I can't wait to get there

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
The bride agreed to a New Zealand trip for our 30th anniversary in 2021
Trip of a lifetime for both of us.
On a recommendation, we booked with Lyndsay Frazier Safari/Woodbury Safari Lodge
Red Stag and Tahr for me. Rest, relaxation and touristy stuff for the wife

Then our friend Covid-19 popped up.
NZ has been under lock-down and our trip has been canceled for 2021 and 2022.

Still hoping and planning to go in 2023
Crossed fingers

tntrker

WKR
Congratulations!! I've always wanted to hear the red stag's call in person on a crisp morning. I think it would scare the bejesus outta someone not knowing what it was..

WCB

WKR
Congratulations!! I've always wanted to hear the red stag's call in person on a crisp morning. I think it would scare the bejesus outta someone not knowing what it was..
You can literally drive down the road past deer farms and roar at them and they roar back. Definitely odd when your used to elk. Our guide did it a couple different times while traveling to the West Coast for Tahr.

OP
H'n'F

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
The bride agreed to a New Zealand trip for our 30th anniversary in 2021
Trip of a lifetime for both of us.
On a recommendation, we booked with Lyndsay Frazier Safari/Woodbury Safari Lodge
Red Stag and Tahr for me. Rest, relaxation and touristy stuff for the wife

Then our friend Covid-19 popped up.
NZ has been under lock-down and our trip has been canceled for 2021 and 2022.

Still hoping and planning to go in 2023
Crossed fingers
PM Sent. Thanks for the info!

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Was supposed to be in NZ finishing up a Red Stag hunt right now. But with NZ not opening borders until next month we have pushed it back to next April. Have the hunt booked with Exclusive Adventures. Shaun Allison has been great to work with so far but haven't actually met or seen the operation in person. He's a friend of a friend and came highly recommended. We are only doing Red Stag but they hunt a lot more too. And lots of touristy stuff for the ladies that don't want to hunt.

npm352

WKR
Peter Chamberlain...from a good experience with him on public land tahr without a heli. Also got two bonus red deer stags.

Paul29

FNG
I'm an American planning on a DIY hunt in March of 23'. Does anyone know the stipulations around the fire arm application? It says you need to list where you'll be storing your gun but our plan is to head directly to the mountains after landing.

dogman11

FNG
I hunted with Shawn Allison as a guide for a outfitter in the states. He was a fantastic guy and showed me plenty of succesful hunts in NZ. I would like to go one day also!
CB

gabenzeke

WKR
Haven't been, but have been interested. Hear a lot of good things about venator safaris.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Really boils down to the 'type' of hunting you want.

If you want a big lodge and hunting a game park, there are plenty of good outfitters, as suggested above.

If you want to hunt them free range and in the wilderness it is much different.

Worth noting all those species are not just living together in the same area(in a free range situation), you will see them all together in a game park(ie behind wire), but in a free range setting there will likely be some travel times/distance between hunting areas.

A good combo is Tahr/Chamois wilderness hunt(ie like a drop camp sheep or mt goat hunt in BC/AK.

And then most likely private land for Fallow/Stags, either free range or behind wire. depending on what type of stag you think is 'Big'......

estonian

FNG
I'm an American planning on a DIY hunt in March of 23'. Does anyone know the stipulations around the fire arm application? It says you need to list where you'll be storing your gun but our plan is to head directly to the mountains after landing.
I´m going in april and have had my application in over a month with no response, fortunately rifle was going to be backup plan, mostly going to bowhunt. But it seems that after the massacre it´s extremely difficult to get a gun in.

estonian

FNG
Anybody know a good place there for arapawa ram? Looking for unguided hunt, but I can pay a landowner fee of some sort.

JP100

WKR
I´m going in april and have had my application in over a month with no response, fortunately rifle was going to be backup plan, mostly going to bowhunt. But it seems that after the massacre it´s extremely difficult to get a gun in.

Rifle forms are now expecting 4 months turn around at a minimum, new legislation is a mess

Arapawas you see are primary on game parks, very few free range herds left(because of the obvious conflict with sheep farming). I have access to one free range herd, they are primary white, but good heads and fun hunting

Attachments

• DSCF9146.JPG
    DSCF9146.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 29
Rifle forms are now expecting 4 months turn around at a minimum, new legislation is a mess

Arapawas you see are primary on game parks, very few free range herds left(because of the obvious conflict with sheep farming). I have access to one free range herd, they are primary white, but good heads and fun hunting
That's crazy. I did my app July 19 and was approved August 2nd. Thank God I applied early!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk