New to Packgoats

samsut93

FNG
Been working on putting together a pack goat string together for the 2025 season. I have 2 boys that will be ready to pack and a younger one that still needs some time. Hoping to pick up two or pack 3 mature packers in the next couple months when I make a trip to Wyoming. Anyway here's Chief and Raca with thier first experiences with packs. Both handled it amazingly well and I'm really looking forward to a trip with them this fall.20240522_191703.jpg20240522_193628.jpg

GoatPackr

WKR
Fun times.
A little advice. Ditch the little toy training packs.
Go right to the packs they will be using when you hunt with them. They don't need them and are a waste of money.
At 2 years old I plop one of Packgoats.com signature series saddles on along with panniers loaded with low weight bulky items like sleeping bags then I hit the trail with them. Start with little 2 mile evening hikes. You can rotate that load on and off them if they act tired on longer trips. Younger goats don't have much endurance but will learn to walk around things with the bags hanging out.
As the goat grows I will loosen that saddle and refit it also adding weight. By age 4 they are pretty set in and ready.

What weight can a decent goat pack? I've been wanting to get some someday after I move. I used to have a few goats, but they were Nigerian dwarfs. Not packers.

GoatPackr

WKR
What weight can a decent goat pack? I've been wanting to get some someday after I move. I used to have a few goats, but they were Nigerian dwarfs. Not packers.
General rule of thumb is 25% of body weight.
A good well built goat that is well conditioned can easily do more.
It really depends on the terrain, on or off trail. Much like us.
You can often load them heavy and they will do it but you can reduce their useful packing years like other livestock.
Ideal weight of a good fit goat is 180 - 220 lbs

OP
S

samsut93

FNG
Fun times.
A little advice. Ditch the little toy training packs.
Go right to the packs they will be using when you hunt with them. They don't need them and are a waste of money.
At 2 years old I plop one of Packgoats.com signature series saddles on along with panniers loaded with low weight bulky items like sleeping bags then I hit the trail with them. Start with little 2 mile evening hikes. You can rotate that load on and off them if they act tired on longer trips. Younger goats don't have much endurance but will learn to walk around things with the bags hanging out.
As the goat grows I will loosen that saddle and refit it also adding weight. By age 4 they are pretty set in and ready.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. These 2 aren't quite a year yet so still lots of time. They lead and follow great on our hikes already. The training packs were gifted but I do have full size saddles as soon as they grow into them a bit. Really look forward to seeing where this little adventure takes us

GoatPackr

WKR
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. These 2 aren't quite a year yet so still lots of time. They lead and follow great on our hikes already. The training packs were gifted but I do have full size saddles as soon as they grow into them a bit. Really look forward to seeing where this little adventure takes us
You're on the right track. At that age it's all about spending time with them and getting them out and experiencing the woods with you.
They are just like kids and you will see them develop into their own personality and each goat will develop their own strong points.