New to elk hunting in Oregon

Any tips on elk hunting in Oregon? Looking to hunt the West side with a OTC tag

It will be my first time so anything helps! Thanks in advance

zpearo

FNG
I think you ought to read through old forums where this has been discussed, and then ask something more specific if you have questions.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Bow or rifle? West side is very broad, September in the cascades is hot and dry, anything on the coast is going to be really wet.

OP
P
I think you ought to read through old forums where this has been discussed, and then ask something more specific if you have questions.
I agree. I tried to find some by using Oregon as a key word but didn't have any luck so ill try a different method.

OP
P
Bow or rifle? West side is very broad, September in the cascades is hot and dry, anything on the coast is going to be really wet.
Rifle as it'd be a better starting point. I'm located near Portland so traveling around wouldn't be an issue. What's your preferred area?

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle as it'd be a better starting point. I'm located near Portland so traveling around wouldn't be an issue. What's your preferred area
There are plenty of elk near you. Take a look at the regulations and get familiar with units and seasons. Odfw has harvest statistics on their website. Then I would look for access to timber land in those areas. Expected there to be lots of people.

OP
P
There are plenty of elk near you. Take a look at the regulations and get familiar with units and seasons. Odfw has harvest statistics on their website. Then I would look for access to timber land in those areas. Expected there to be lots of people.
Heck yeah, just looked that up and gonna start breaking all that info down. Hopefully put together a plan and start scouting

mbyrd65

FNG
Elk in the west is definitely a wet endeavor. Prepare by scouting early and often.

Pdzoller

WKR
We got elk in just about every part of the state and any terrain you could want. Pick your poison and put in your time.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Since the original post is from July did the op actually carry through with scouting and hunting? Please leave out unit specific areas, as a local on the west side I’m actually curious how your hunt went and your outlook for rifle hunting here.