New Swaro 56mm Spotters ATC/STC

North61

Lil-Rokslider
i have the Leupold 60mm Gold RING HD and a Leica APO 65mm.... The Leica is better in many ways but the Leupold is sure a pleasure to look through and easier to carry.

dank

FNG
Sounds like our comparison is getting pushed out till next week.. too many hunting trips! But that will give us the opportunity to add a buddy's atx 65mm to the comparison.
Excited for this review! Feel free to make it a couple hours long with painstaking detail. I'm going to get popcorn ready!!

dank

FNG
I don’t understand an angled spotter without a rotating collar. Am I missing something?
I’m right there with you. Critical feature in an angled imo. Maybe an aziak type solution but looking at the kowa design it seems like it would have to be totally different. I wish they coulda just added it. I STRONGLY prefer angled for comfort but rotation is critical..

ljalberta

WKR
For me, rotation is a nice bonus feature, but not needed. I have used for the past 6 seasons smaller, angled spotters without rotation (Nikon ED50 and Kowa 553) without issue. Primarily used for sheep hunting, but also on bear and elk trips.

If I were glassing primarily from a truck window, then for sure I’d want a straight spotter or rotating collar.

dank

FNG
For me, rotation is a nice bonus feature, but not needed. I have used for the past 6 seasons smaller, angled spotters without rotation (Nikon ED50 and Kowa 553) without issue. Primarily used for sheep hunting, but also on bear and elk trips.

If I were glassing primarily from a truck window, then for sure I’d want a straight spotter or rotating collar.
Understandable. For myself, I would take straight if I couldn’t rotate. Hoping to see an option come out for those who prefer comfort of angled and need rotation.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another comparison of interest might be the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60HD at 37 oz. Not much love for it here but as a glasses wearer the 30mm eye relief is sure great.
Well, my brother has had one for years and it is pretty nice. I actually witnessed him do a "drop test" on it this year. He was switching it off his tripod head to put his binos on and he accidentally dropped it. We were glassing from a really steep hillside and off it went down the slope. Went about 100 feet or so but hit a rock and sailed 15 feet into the air doing a triple axle. I mean Olympic caliber stuff.
Not a scratch......I was duly impressed.

Randy

tdhanses

WKR
I’m right there with you. Critical feature in an angled imo. Maybe an aziak type solution but looking at the kowa design it seems like it would have to be totally different. I wish they coulda just added it. I STRONGLY prefer angled for comfort but rotation is critical..
I think this would be difficult to build for the little swaro due to the focus. https://www.aziakequipment.com/product-page/kowa-553-mount

tdhanses

WKR
Hey Guys, as promised...

That is a great review or more overall comparison of the two brands! I’ll be keeping my 55 and 77.

That is interesting the ATS seems to have been quietly improved, my ATS HD never gave me that wow factor with the 25-50.

Last edited:

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome review.

@S&S Archery (Rob) Would you stick with the Swaro ats65 or bump up to the 80?
Thats a great question, and something we'll have to re-visit. In the past we haven't been a fan of the ATS 80.. especially with the superior performance of the Kowa 77mm, and a $900 price difference. So for now i would stick to your ats 65 if its a newer model. Otherwise that Kowa 77mm is very tough to beat. Also, keep in mind that the ATS 65m is extremely hard to find right now. We have them on order, but have been waiting a very long time for them.