New Swaro 56mm Spotters ATC/STC

tdhanses

WKR
I wouldn’t take a compact spotter if I was sheep hunting or had to determine legality etc, to me these compacts shine with deer, elk, antelope and bear locating/verification after spotting with binos etc.

It's cool Swaro is giving more options. I don't see this replacing my 65 ATX. I needed every bit of 60X on my sheep hunt. 40x may be enough for counting rings once they're already in shooting range (<400 or so). I can see these being a nice option for mountain goats or backcountry muley and elk.

I'm more curious if we ever see 50mm NLs from Swaro.

I like my kowa 553 but there’s no mistaking the narrow fov and sensitivity to eye placement after looking though meopta s2 wa30-60x82. I’d hope swaro is a notable improvement in that regard but being heavier, lower mag, and notably more expensive isn’t attractive.

Lol, looks like a swing and a miss. Funny to see them chasing kowa around. Stupid swaro....here’s an idea, maybe build some gear that matches its price tag for a change? Pricks😉

I am intrigued by this. I have been looking for a compact spotter and everything leaves something to be desired. I may put the preorder in.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I got to use this when the rep was at s and s archery. It's a big improvement over the kowa to my eyes. The eye piece feels like a full size swaro. I do wish it had 10x more zoom. Paired with a digiscope you could add some zoom and I'm confident it has the glass to pull that off.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For a grand more than the Kowa it should at least have a fine focusing option... and be lighter... at least 45x. They tried at least. They'll sell a lot of those bottom cover pieces after guys lose them. I'm sure it'll sell for them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Kowa 553 is like looking through a tunnel. What good is 5x more when it's not usable when you need it. I used it on one hunt and sold it. Swaro is never first to the party but when they show up, they are usually the life of the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The question may be what is the view difference at 40x. Because beyond that the Kowa has equal if not better glass, it's lighter, has a micro focus knob, has a rotating colar and is a grand less.

Kostrize

WKR
I bet this Aziak clamp would solve the rotation issue for the angled version. And if not, they’ll probably make one

Didn’t look like I’ll give up the old magnesium angled Swaro 65mm. Like the rotating collar and 60X too well. Plus my old straight ED 50 Nikon has light weight covered.

So I just found the limitation(s) of my current spotter in low light (I'll take 56mm from Swaro over 65mm from a cheaper/heavier unit) and this gets announced.

Is this a sign from the optics gods to get my credit card ready?

Last edited:
I had the Kowa 554 for a season, I liked it until I needed that extra little umph at last light glassing a couple big bucks. Immediately sold it when I got home and went to the STM 65HD w/ 25-50x wide angle eye piece. This setup solved my issue that I had w/ the Kowa. The STM 65 setup is about 45oz all in.

This new STC is tempting to try to push the limit again on weight, but for a 11oz savings, will it do what I ask of it when I need it most? Would love to see clarity and low light comparisons btwn the STS/STM 65HD w 25-50x eyepiece at 40x vs the STC. If the STC has dramatically increased clarity and better FOV, it could be worth it. If not then I think for 11oz more I would still take the STM for extra light when I need it.

Can’t wait to see your review [mention]robby denning [/mention]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk