New Stone Glacier Sky Talus pack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fair enough. Makes sense

I don't even need my Nalgene accessible while hiking, that's what my bladder tube is for. But I do like it at least somewhat available when I stop and can filter in some water with my Hydrate & Recover mix. I also like my afternoon coffee, so having the Jetboil easily accessible is nice too.

Kotaman

WKR
Checked out the Talus at the Sheep Show this past week. This pack is a winner for sure. My favorite Stone Glacier to date. Very well thought out and at 5.5 lbs about as light as a 6800/6900 ci pack can be.

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Whaledriver, we are anticipating a shipping date of Feb 25th. Those who have pre-ordered will get a shipping email with a tracking number as soon as we have packs in hand. If we are fortunate enough to have them early, we will be sure to start shipping. Thanks and feel free to email me if there is anything we can help with.
Best,
Kurt
[email protected]

Last edited:
OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Saskmudder, we will have a couple new accessories available early to mid-March. I will be sure to post updates here as soon as they are available.
Thanks!
Kurt

Yep mine arrived unfortunately a bit late so was not able to use it last weekend. Looks great and should work great for lonver trips. I like the organization now and my ocd will be able to relax a bit. Looking forward to load it up and see how it handles with some weight.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've got one of these on the way too. I'm excited to give it a go this year. I haven't used a Stone Glacier pack yet, and the Talus looks like it matches my style of hunting very well.

mmw194287

WKR
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this pack with various loads/configurations. Please share when they start showing up!

Kotaman

WKR
Mine showed up last Friday. Got it loaded and ready to hike this weekend. All set up in comes in exactly 2 lbs. less than my Mountain Warrior with the new duplex Hunter frame. Time will tell if it carries a heavy load as well as the Kifaru.

stuckbuck

FNG
I'm going to load mine up this weekend as well, maybe I'll have some pics to post!
The layout of this pack seems perfect. I've had about 70# in it so far (around the house) and it handles it well as far a comfort.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Mine showed up last Friday. Got it loaded and ready to hike this weekend. All set up in comes in exactly 2 lbs. less than my Mountain Warrior with the new duplex Hunter frame. Time will tell if it carries a heavy load as well as the Kifaru.
I (and others on here I'm sure) would be very interested to hear your thoughts after you've ran them both for a bit......I've read your Bowsite thread on packs (and other gear) and always enjoy your posts, very informative, especially given the amount of use you've had with all the systems.

Kotaman

WKR
Thanks MT_Wyatt. I LOVE new gear! ;) I spent a couple hours today hiking in the hills shed hunting with the SG Talus and will give some thoughts below in comparison to the Kifaru Mountain Warrior with the new Duplex frame. I currently own a Stone Glacier Solo, Stone Glacier Talus, Kifaru Mountain Warrior on the new duplex, Kifaru High Camp 4800 on a Bikini and a Mystery Ranch Marshall. These to go along with several smaller Sitka daypacks. I've owned several other Kifaru packs over the years as well.

I love the layout of the SG Talus bag. My Talus setup in hunt mode comes in at 5.99 lbs. Easily the lightest, large pack I've ever used. Today, my load was about 43 lbs. The Talus handles that with ease of course. I have loaded it up heavier (70+) and carries that decent as well. This one will go to Alaska with me in August on a DIY caribou drop hunt.

There are things I like about this pack, and things I like about my Mountain Warrior. Though the Talus goes into daypack mode very nicely, I love the big pouch on the Mountain Warrior in daypack mode. In daypack mode, I prefer the Mountain Warrior. For carrying the "mid range" load, both packs do fine but when the weight gets serious(70+), I prefer the Kifaru. I always have. It might be fit, it might be construction, but NOTHING carries a big load like a Kifaru for me. With that said, I will have no problem packing out a full load with the Stone Glacier either.

Overall weight goes to the Stone Glacier as it is a full two pounds lighter in hunt mode with MORE capacity vs. the Mountain Warrior. Not only does the bag have more capacity, the Stone Glacier easily adds another 2500 ci with the load sling and easily goes in to load sling mode. The load sling isn't a big issue for me though as I am an "meat in the pack" kind of guy. Still a nice feature though.

Both of these packs are awesome and I will get plenty of use out of both of them. A decison really comes down to one buying the features they like. If you plan on hauling HUGE loads often, the Kifaru is probably a good choice. If you want an Ultra Light pack that can handle the weight when need be, the Stone Glacier is fantastic. You really can't go wrong with either...