New Stone glacier Col 4800

Seen stone glacier just dropped a new pack. Looks pretty sweet. I usually run the 5900 and 6900 Might be willing to give this one a try 🔥👍 currently waiting to see a review video on this one.

Attachments

• 15D9F349-DC5D-4DAB-9865-2ED3530140E7.png
    15D9F349-DC5D-4DAB-9865-2ED3530140E7.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

BrodieBC

FNG
I just added a 5900 to my arsenal and almost wish I would have waited for this. Might have to scoop one and check it out. I primarily run my Solo and love it so this just seems like the bigger brother.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I like the specs on it as well. Would have preferred the spotter pocket have an external zipper like the Approach bag, but that’s a minor inconvenience for me. Really glad they released something this size between the Solo and 5900!

BrodieBC

FNG
By the looks of it its not going to be compatible with a lid either? I dont see anywhere for the clips to attach on the front of the pack.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
By the looks of it its not going to be compatible with a lid either? I dont see anywhere for the clips to attach on the front of the pack.
correct - and the bag itself would have some long straps coming up from the xpac "back" usually, to connect the lid ladder locks to.

md126

WKR
Is this an internal frame pack like the Terminus or can you buy the bag only and put it on an existing frame?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Is this an internal frame pack like the Terminus or can you buy the bag only and put it on an existing frame?
The Col 4800 is a separate bag that can be used on any of their separate "frames." It is not integral like the Terminus line, where the bag does not separate from the suspension/frame. You can definately purchase just the bag.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I asked them about that - the design is meant for not using with a lid, because if you need that mid 5000's CI on space, there's the sky 5900. The concern was the lid covering up pocket access on the front. I always ran the sky 5900 in bivy mode and only used the lid for packing into hunts, dropped it after - so for me, this pack is "perfect" in terms of layout.

I got one of these on hand - the spotter pocket tucks away so you do not even know it is there, but when you push it out, it is flat on the bottom (the terminus spotter pocket angled back into the bag). The compression is just as good as any other bag, you can really skinny it up - only think I notice different, having used "sky" bags since their release, is that the top kind of "muffin tops" when you really skinny the bag down since there's no compression up there - but that isn't a huge deal to me. It is very much a scaled up Solo bag obviously, still has a nice narrow profile though.

BrodieBC

FNG
I currently have a solo and a 5900 so this is a nice in-between but at the same time if I decide to add another SG pack to the mix may as well go ever bigger as I already have the mid size day/multi day pack size covered. I do really like the looks of it and with my gear that I carry I could easily get away with the 4800 for multi day trips. I like the looks of it over the 5900 in my opinion.

wnelson14

WKR
I currently have a solo and a 5900 so this is a nice in-between but at the same time if I decide to add another SG pack to the mix may as well go ever bigger as I already have the mid size day/multi day pack size covered. I do really like the looks of it and with my gear that I carry I could easily get away with the 4800 for multi day trips. I like the looks of it over the 5900 in my opinion.
Your 5900 is the same size in bivy mode and you can still attach the hood unlike the col, I’m still confused by this bag, but want it at the same time.

wnelson14

WKR
I do like the addition of the spotter pocket on the 4800 though.
I do get that, but 6400 (side spotter), 6900 (2-side spotter) 5900 (front spotter) all roughly 4800 in bivy mode all have capability of a lid. That’s why I don’t understand the col 4800, but I guess I don’t have to understand if it will sell.

BrodieBC

FNG
I do get that, but 6400 (side spotter), 6900 (2-side spotter) 5900 (front spotter) all roughly 4800 in bivy mode all have capability of a lid. That’s why I don’t understand the col 4800, but I guess I don’t have to understand if it will sell.
I think id take the 6400 or 6900 over it. I do like the looks of it but wish the lid could be added.

BA33

FNG
Have not tried a stone, have experience with kuiu, MR and kifaru. I may give this one a shot, was able to stop by there shop while in MT and the frames seem great.