New Spotting Scope Search

ElwoodUT

FNG
I am in the market for a new spotting scope and I'm leaning towards the Vortex Razor 20-60x85 Gen 1. I looked through the new 27-60x85 at Sportsmans a couple days ago and didn't like that it was missing the fine focus. For me it took a lot longer to get a crisp picture than with the Gen 1.

I have seen a few people mention Athlon Optics as a possible alternative and when I spoke to their sales staff yesterday they said they have the same warranty as Vortex.

Has anyone checked out these Athlon Spotting scopes?

Bowtech1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple friends that each bought a pair of their Midas binos. Haven't looked through them myself but they seem to be happy and impressed with them for the price. I was thinking about buying their Cronus 12-36x50 spotting scope but decided to hold off when I heard about the new compact kowa coming out. I've heard enough good things about them though that I would feel comfortable giving them a try.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you live at? I could let you check out my vanguard

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quon24

FNG
Last summer I bought the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 and I couldn't be happier with it. It is my second spotter, the first was a vortex diamondback and the Athlon Ares is head and shoulders above the diamondback. Obviously the diamondback is the entry level spotter in vortex's lineup, but there really is no comparison. I haven't looked through the vortex razor but I have read other reviews that the Athlon Ares is comparable to it. I really have no idea if that is true or not. Regardless, for my purposes the Ares is as good as I need. The glass is crystal clear all the way around. The scope doesn't have a fine focus but it doesn't really need it. I've found it very easy to quickly focus on an object with just the single focusing wheel. I picked my Ares up for $600 on amazon. I think a lot of people will be surprised with the quality of optics Athlon has to offer

JWW

WKR
I am going to do a review of the Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A vs the Vortex Razor HD 65A gen 1. The Vanguard is a whole hell of a lot of glass for the money.

OP
E

ElwoodUT

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I actually found a Vortex Razor with a Manfrotto Tripod and Canon S110 w/scope cam for a screaming deal so I had to jump on it over the weekend.