New Sleeping Bag

fshaw

WKR
I'm going to be going down the Grand Canyon with my wife in March. I've used a Feathered Friends Raven (tall) sleeping Bag for years and have always been pleased with the bag. My wife will be using that bag for the trip which leaves me with a perfect excuse to buy a new sleeping bag.

I've looked at the Western Mountaineering Antelope Micro Fiber (tall) for years and think I'll probably purchase it for the trip. My concern is that the Antelope is 1' smaller in the shoulder and feet and is 4'smaller in the hips. I've never felt that my Raven was too tight, actually I've enjoyed the comfort it provides for a mummy bag. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh right around 200lbs. It looks like many of the standard Western Mountaineering bags are made to the same dimensions with the exception of a few bags that are made to be more roomy.

My question is to those who've slept in Western Mountaineering bags. Did you find the standard sized bags to be tight to sleep in? I know this is somewhat subjective based on how each individual sleeps. I also know that Western Mountaineering has other sized bags in the same temp range.

I'm a licensed hunting and fishing guide in the NY Adirondacks and Maine, and have guided for many years, so am pretty well experienced in using outdoor products. I don't want to buy a roomier Western Mountaineering bag if I don't have to as I'll likely use it during the fall hunting season and don't want to carry the additional weight and bulk unless it's necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

*zap*

WKR
A smaller bag is tighter...that is for sure. It depends on how used to a tight fit you are and if you try to 'extend' the temp rating by wearing more layers.

I own a Kodiak 6'6" (67"/58"/41") and Versalite 6' (62"/53"/39").

There is a very big difference in room between the two and I only keep the versalite so I can use it as a quilt when it is near freezing temps....it is older and the $ it is worth is not worth selling it for. Just back a year ago from wm for repairs and down re-do plus added overfill, they did that for no charge. It is decades old if my memory is correct and now the loft matches what a new one has. I am 6' 200# and much prefer the 6' 6" bags and a bit of extra room.

Have you tried quilts considering you are concerned about how tight the bag will be? Also they limit bulk drastically

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I had a feathered friends penguin. That got stolen. I replaced it with the stone glacier bag and love the extra size of the sg bag. Definitely worth looking into. I'm 6' 1" 200ish lbs for refference

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
A smaller bag is tighter...that is for sure. It depends on how used to a tight fit you are and if you try to 'extend' the temp rating by wearing more layers.

I own a Kodiak 6'6" (67"/58"/41") and Versalite 6' (62"/53"/39").

There is a very big difference in room between the two and I only keep the versalite so I can use it as a quilt when it is near freezing temps....it is older and the $ it is worth is not worth selling it for. Just back a year ago from wm for repairs and down re-do plus added overfill, they did that for no charge. It is decades old if my memory is correct and now the loft matches what a new one has. I am 6' 200# and much prefer the 6' 6" bags and a bit of extra room.

Do you love your Kodiak?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Availability may be another factor to consider. I have a Kodiak MF as well. Definitely roomier than a Versalite, but every person has a different level of bag dimensions they are comfortable with. Are you set on a particular temp rating? If you had more time you could always have a custom bag done, but that's time and money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Buy a double sleeping bag like an Enlightened Equipment Accomplice!
You’ll never go back to separate bags with your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I wouldn’t push you away from buying a nice new Western Mountaineering bag, I didn’t need much of a bag the last couple of times I hiked the southwest. I did 5 days in the Grand Canyon in April and was fine with a 40* snugpak jungle bag. In fairness, all my nights were lower down in the canyon. Canyon de Shelly, bryce and Zion in December and I was good with 20* bag.

Decker9

WKR
Iv got a couple years on the regular Antelope bag, im 6’ and skinny, and find it tight. More so when I go to put or take off socks, I can’t reach my feet without unzipping.

As AK mentioned, a double bag might be worth checking out for you and your wife?. My gf and I are looking into the taiga works bags that zip together for next season. I use a light taiga as well, which I should mention, is right on par with WM, at half the price.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the experience and input. I just ordered a WM Kodiak MF. Had to close my eyes when I hit the "Pay" button but was glad to find one. When I bought my FF Raven I chose it over the smaller sized bag of the same rating. I've never wished for a tighter mummy bag.