New Sig Zulu

Does anyone have any insight as to if it’s worth waiting for the Pros?

It will be. Either they are that much better and worth the extra cash, or the previous gen will be even cheaper.

I bought the current gen 16’s for just over $800 in the spring. My guess is they’ll get lower than that if you time it right.

j_volt

WKR
It will be. Either they are that much better and worth the extra cash, or the previous gen will be even cheaper.

I bought the current gen 16’s for just over $800 in the spring. My guess is they’ll get lower than that if you time it right.
It seems the hunting industry is great at barely innovating, adding a cool word like “pro” and charging 40% more. Sig seems to actually be doing real innovation. I think I’m going to hold off unless brown water and loose inhibitions lead me astray.

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
im getting impatient. Would be nice if these were dropped before September.
I'm right here with you! I have made the commitment that I am waiting this out though, and sold my previous binos. Worst case scenario September I'll just be hunting the timber with rangefinder only. Let's go new Zulus!

Bugger

FNG
Screen shot from that Icast video. Looks like they are gonna be a good bit heavier than the standard HDX model (21oz for the 16s vs 34 oz for the 18 pro’s). FOV usually doesn’t increase with larger objective unless they engineered it differently, so that’ll likely be a wash. I don’t know that the little increase in obj size is worth the extra weight and cost. (They mentioned a ~$2k price in the video). Given an option between the two I’d buy my standard HDX 16’s again.
Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 12.04.50 PM.png

Presswood_936

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and grabbed the 12x hdx on sale . I was told the new generation would be a lot bigger, heavier and more expensive .

180ls1

WKR
Screen shot from that Icast video. Looks like they are gonna be a good bit heavier than the standard HDX model (21oz for the 16s vs 34 oz for the 18 pro’s). FOV usually doesn’t increase with larger objective unless they engineered it differently, so that’ll likely be a wash. I don’t know that the little increase in obj size is worth the extra weight and cost. (They mentioned a ~$2k price in the video). Given an option between the two I’d buy my standard HDX 16’s again.
View attachment 747465

Thanks!

Substantial weight increase and FOV is still "small", 194'

I guess something has to give but I was really hoping for a 13x50 with 250' FOV or similar. I think these are still going to be a little too narrow for a 1 and done solution, at least for me.

bigbuckdj

WKR
If it’s anything like previous generations, the FOV in degrees will be the same in all magnifications and the lower magnifications will be brighter and easier to get behind.

I use the 10x30 HDXs the most often and that supposedly has gen 1 stabilizing technology, my 16x42s seem to be better at stabilization, I would expect the x50s will be even better in the glass and stabilization department. I’ll be trying out some 16s or 18s. Not excited about the weight increase but these are still lighter than non stabilized counterparts.

Last edited:

Bugger

FNG
If it’s anything like previous generations, the FOV in degrees will be the same in all magnifications and the lower magnifications will be brighter and easier to get behind.

I use the 10x30 HDXs the most often and that supposedly has gen 1 stabilizing technology, my 16x42s seem to be better at stabilization, supposedly the x50s will be even better in the glass and stabilization department. I’ll be trying out some 16s or 18s. Not excited about the weight increase but these are still lighter than non stabilized counterparts.
Where did you get the info on the glass being upgraded? I haven’t seen diddly online from Sig other than the soft release at icast

bigbuckdj

WKR
If the relationship between kite optics and sig specs holds up, youd expect the 14, 16, and 18 to be 3.7 degrees FOV. I really feel like the 16s will be money. It would be a very slight reduction in FOV and a nice boost in eye relief vs the current 16s. a little heavier but competitive with x50 competitors.