New SG bino harness is on the way ...

Mrtoyz

FNG
A Kenai can work with it.

Also-
View attachment 721239

But, pistol carry with a bino pack and backpack is still not optimized. The answer is having it mounted to the wings on the right side in a holster that can be taken off, but I haven’t done that with this SG as I require the general purpose pouch.
100% agree about mounting on the right wing. Would be nice have kydex with Velcro mounted similar to the way SG is doing with the side pouches.

schmalzy

WKR
Definitely an improvement on the original. I have mine set up with rangefinder and admin pouch. Phone slot is great. Feels significantly better on shoulders/neck. Also like ease of putting it on with the two buckles and not worrying about pouches falling off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
Definitely an improvement on the original. I have mine set up with rangefinder and admin pouch. Phone slot is great. Feels significantly better on shoulders/neck. Also like ease of putting it on with the two buckles and not worrying about pouches falling off.

That is a nice benefit

I’m glad that the consensus seems to be that they executed the design well on the gen 2, I’m just waiting for mine to arrive now

I hope it’s what I expect it to be, because I’m tired of buying and trying harnesses. I have been through 7 or 8 different harnesses in the past 3 years.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I looked at this in person and the wings are smaller than you'd think, does not look like a big deal running one "bare" during parts of the year when it wasn't fully loaded on both sides with pockets etc. The harness/yoke itself is fairly simple, just webbing/fabric/spacer mesh. Didn't grab one on the spot, still debating between doing one of these or the FHF FOB system. The FHF is WAY more expensive, but does appear to be a bit more flexible in application. But they tend to get overly cute with design features/complication.

How are guys carrying a pistol with this and/or do you know if a kenai chest holster would work?

I prefer the Kenai for when I’ve killed and my binos are in my pack, butchering an animal, etc etc.
I've been running a Razco gen2 with mine. Works fine but going to try their r.o.m.r., which in theory would let you easily move the holster shell to a standalone harness or belt if you wanted to ditch the bino harness.

Good info, thanks form. I don’t always carry a pistol so the ability to take it on/off is a high priority.

I think I’ll go ahead and pull the trigger on one and be the guinea pig for the Kenai that a few other guys are wondering about too.

Not sure whether to thank you or curse you, now that I think about it. Ha!
As promised, below are photos of how I would likely wear a kenai under this chest rig.

First impressions are I like how compact it is and I’m really impressed with the harness. It’s the most comfortable I’ve ever used (sitka and marsupial gear). It holds the binos a touch higher than I’m used to (which will come into play below), but I like it - initially, anyways.

Now on to incorporating a pistol. I’m RH/LE dominant, meaning my spare mag is on my right wing, and I also draw a pistol with my right hand. Being left-eye dominant has been a PITA my whole life, however, in this case it’s helpful. If I’m carrying a pistol I’m not carrying a rifle and therefore won’t have anything mounted on that side wing, and vice versa. The new pocket mounting option is bad ass and makes them super easy to take on and off. I attached photos with the mag pouch on and off.

You’ll notice in the photos that the harness is sitting on top of grip of the pistol. That’s intentional. In order to draw the pistol I would lift the bino harness slightly, which would allow a full, unobstructed grip on the pistol. Sounds wonky as hell, but in the five or so draws I did it was a non-issue. I could probably drop the harness lower and make it more accommodating but again, I’m liking that it’s riding a touch higher.

Overall, if using a kenai chest holster was a very common occurrence you'd likely be better off with a marsupial gear bino pouch over this. If carrying a pistol is a nicety, but not necessity, I like the harness on this much better.

Feel free to ask questions!
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg

Mrtoyz

FNG
As promised, below are photos of how I would likely wear a kenai under this chest rig.

First impressions are I like how compact it is and I’m really impressed with the harness. It’s the most comfortable I’ve ever used (sitka and marsupial gear). It holds the binos a touch higher than I’m used to (which will come into play below), but I like it - initially, anyways.

Now on to incorporating a pistol. I’m RH/LE dominant, meaning my spare mag is on my right wing, and I also draw a pistol with my right hand. Being left-eye dominant has been a PITA my whole life, however, in this case it’s helpful. If I’m carrying a pistol I’m not carrying a rifle and therefore won’t have anything mounted on that side wing, and vice versa. The new pocket mounting option is bad ass and makes them super easy to take on and off. I attached photos with the mag pouch on and off.

You’ll notice in the photos that the harness is sitting on top of grip of the pistol. That’s intentional. In order to draw the pistol I would lift the bino harness slightly, which would allow a full, unobstructed grip on the pistol. Sounds wonky as hell, but in the five or so draws I did it was a non-issue. I could probably drop the harness lower and make it more accommodating but again, I’m liking that it’s riding a touch higher.

Overall, if using a kenai chest holster was a very common occurrence you'd likely be better off with a marsupial gear bino pouch over this. If carrying a pistol is a nicety, but not necessity, I like the harness on this much better.

View attachment 723340
View attachment 723341
I looked that the one product that’s made to mount a gun to a carbon sheet behind a bino harness but it looked to make the bino harness sit so far out from the body. I passed.
Love to see some pics showing how prominent this makes your harness.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 723340
View attachment 723341
Wont your back pack should straps be interfering with the pouch on your left?

If the Sitka harness didn’t (it didn’t), this should be no issue. I have a few rucks this week so I’ll be testing it. I’ll let ya know!

I’ve done 10.5 miles since Wednesday of this week with the harness on with zero issues.

I was a little unsure of that pouch at first but I really like it. At the very least, it’s a WAY better solution for my phone than a pants pocket. I used to save the drink bags from MREs for my phone so I didn’t fry it while sweating, but then the phones got too big. It also fits my zoleo and extra ammo, although with a phone in there it’s tight. Doable, but tight. With an inreach you’d be golden, I bet.

Although it’s not a long term test, I feel confident enough to go with it. If you’re in FBX by chance give me a shout and you’re welcome to come try it on for yourself.

Well, I hope my early impressions will stand the test of time, I’m liking it so far and the improvements on this gen seem to address all of the things I didn’t like on the gen 1

I was worried it would ride too low on the shortest setting, but that’s not the case, and it’s still simple and clean

SloppyJ

WKR
I want to order one so badly but every time I look at a picture I can 1. See all of the burrs I'll have to pick out of it and 2. Think that it's just got a tad too much going on. If I was a dedicated backcountry guy then it'd be no issue but I'm not.

atmat

WKR
I want to order one so badly but every time I look at a picture I can 1. See all of the burrs I'll have to pick out of it and 2. Think that it's just got a tad too much going on. If I was a dedicated backcountry guy then it'd be no issue but I'm not.
If you’re worried about burrs on the “open/unused” Velcro, just buy a piece of Velcro and cut it to fit so there’s no unused Velcro showing