New SG bino harness is on the way ...

Not wanting to jump the gun, but I have it on good authority that the new SG bino harness (including feedback from @Formidilosus) is ... not too far away.

Happy new year!

:)
I’m curious what they come out with, the gen 1 was a disappointment to me, but they wouldn’t have to change a lot to make it exceptional, but imo, they missed the mark on gen 1

pirogue

WKR
I’m curious what they come out with, the gen 1 was a disappointment to me, but they wouldn’t have to change a lot to make it exceptional, but imo, they missed the mark on gen 1
Speaking of change, check to see if the physical dimensions change, yet they keep the same size description. Remember the older Kuiu size L was perfect for a pair of Swaro EL 10X 42. When they came out with the Pro, you could fit the same binos and a sandwich in the size L.

Fritz D

FNG
Well isn’t that great?! About the time I finally get an SG bino harness they come out with a new one. :cries:

;)

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Not wanting to jump the gun, but I have it on good authority that the new SG bino harness (including feedback from @Formidilosus) is ... not too far away.

Happy new year!

:)
When I called Sept/Oct last year they told me Spring 2024. It sounds to me more like a chest rig similar to the Sitka Mountain Optics Harness with wings and new pockets.

Based on the feedback I think I will have to get one.

I have their Gen 1 version but I'm interested in what they decided to change about it. I'll likely pick up the Gen 2 before next fall if it's as well thought out as I think it will be.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
When I called Sept/Oct last year they told me Spring 2024. It sounds to me more like a chest rig similar to the Sitka Mountain Optics Harness with wings and new pockets.

Based on the feedback I think I will have to get one.
That squares with what I heard.

And we both have to get one!

My favorite harness so far is the SG gen 1( over Badlands, Sitka, and AGC). I will almost certainly get the Gen 2, because I just cannot help myself haha.

I’m a big SG fan - but the lack of padding in the top enclosure resulted in my eye cups getting banged up pretty good when I packed out with the setup in my pack. And the harness always made my neck hurt.

I went marsupial and so much happier with padding in top enclosure and how the neck harness sits. Can’t even tell they are in and even hunted with large revolver attached to bottom.

But… I will def give the new SG bino harness a good look and maybe even a try if they did some upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a big SG fan - but the lack of padding in the top enclosure resulted in my eye cups getting banged up pretty good when I packed out with the setup in my pack. And the harness always made my neck hurt.

I went marsupial and so much happier with padding in top enclosure and how the neck harness sits. Can’t even tell they are in and even hunted with large revolver attached to bottom.

But… I will def give the new SG bino harness a good look and maybe even a try if they did some upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weight on the neck and the little clips on the top straps were the 2 things I couldn’t live with. Get a better harness that’s comfortable (it’s worth the 1/4oz weight penalty, and get rid of those clips on the chest and it’s a solid harness

The gen 2 catamount is very minimalist in the harness itself and is very comfortable with no neck strain, something isn’t right with the dimensions of the SG for my body type

I was really excited about the SG when it came out and I was really disappointed using it for the first time on a 4 day mountain turkey hunt

Ended up giving it to a buddy, I think I used it maybe 10 days total and I was sick of it

ljalberta

WKR
The harness was the reason I didn't like the Gen 1. It slouched and pulled on my neck. I had the same problem with the original AGC harness, but their ultralight replacement harness works perfect for me. I hope SG comes out with a similar improvement on their harness.

sr80

WKR
Doesn't really look like they added any padding to the lid from this picture i snipped off the cirque lite vest info video. Looks like they just redesigned the shoulder straps and maybe came out with a cell phone pocket? I guess time will tell..Screenshot 2024-01-06 054902.png

prm

WKR
I’m torn by this. On one hand I like a good bino harness, but I am definitely minimalist. The idea of carrying a bunch of crap on my chest, blocking air flow, while having thousands of sq/in of empty pack on my back just does not make sense.

woods89

WKR
I’m torn by this. On one hand I like a good bino harness, but I am definitely minimalist. The idea of carrying a bunch of crap on my chest, blocking air flow, while having thousands of sq/in of empty pack on my back just does not make sense.

This sounds familiar!

I have spent a lot on a layering system that breathes as it should. Covering most of it up with things that aren't breathable just seems weird.
The balance is hard to strike, though. I've been using the RYO harness and cover. The harness is great, but the cover is a little cumbersome. I saw awhile back where a guy had rigged and FHF pouch on a RYO, which looked pretty slick. I'd like to try something similar.

Dave_S

FNG
It slouched and pulled on my neck.
I have had the same issue, but it was never enough to get to spend money on something else. I really liked the minimalist approach. My only other harness experience is with whatever free one Vortex includes with their cheap binos, and this was a big upgrade for me.

The idea of carrying a bunch of crap on my chest, blocking air flow,
Yep, no matter what I do, I always seem to end up with my front covered in sweat. I don't know that I would want to add to that, but I suffer from massive FOMO when new gear comes out...it's a real problem.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And
This sounds familiar!

I have spent a lot on a layering system that breathes as it should. Covering most of it up with things that aren't breathable just seems weird.

This goes for any bino harness.

It’s about a “system” and how that system works in aiding the shot process. Using a sub par gear item because your “clothes” is not an optimum way to view this- “Gear fits around how you shoot, you do not shoot around your gear”.
The thought process here isn’t about a bino pouch, it’s about what someone needs for the best performance. This is what someone needs one their body, that doesn’t get left behind ever. Despite what every person who swears to me that they never drop their pack or leave it behind for “just a short stalk”, I have watched all of them- including myself- at some point have to walk back a ways to get their pack.

On body-

1. binos with quick access and protection.

2). Spare magazine or ammunition quickly accessible.

3). Headlamp or flashlight

4). Knife

5). GPS or InReach.

6). Lens cloth

7). Emergency kit in case of injury or getting lost- compass, small map, fire starter, TQ, emergency blanket, pen light, snickers, Etc.

8). Most would want chapstick, etc

9). Potentially a pistol

With that list and the fact that those things should be in something that never gets left behind, the bino pouch is the most functional place for it. If you grab your rifle, you grab your bino pouch. And you should never leave your rifle.

So, if that needs to be on our body, and the bino pouch is the best place for it, this is what the pouch should do-

1). Hold bino securely with quick access and good protection.

2). Hold spare magazine/ammo in the best spot for a quick reload (weak side of bino).

3). Have pouch for headlamp, emergency kit, etc., on strong side, front, or bottom.

4). Have place for mounting or holding GPS/inteach

5). Have small pockets for lens cloth, chapstick, etc.

6). Be functional as a rear bag for shooting.

7). Have a means for carrying a pistol is required.

7). The harness should hold all of that at chest to high chest level- not sag. It’s a chest pouch, not a stomach pouch. The harness should do that while being stable and not riding up on the back of your neck.

Designed correctly, breathability isn’t that effected, and it certainly doesn’t matter more than the massive pack on your back.

The balance is hard to strike, though. I've been using the RYO harness and cover. The harness is great, but the cover is a little cumbersome. I saw awhile back where a guy had rigged and FHF pouch on a RYO, which looked pretty slick. I'd like to try something similar.

If all you want is something to hold binos, the RYO bungies are great. But they are a one trick pony. I used them for two years and in western spot and stalk hunting it was a heavy concession with no upside. I ended up having to use a HPG chest pouch under them because digging through a pack while trying to get an animal down, or trying to find the pack that was left “just over there” in the dark without a flashlight, or trying to light a stove but the pack is outside, etc., etc., sucked.

woods89

WKR
And

This goes for any bino harness.

It’s about a “system” and how that system works in aiding the shot process. Using a sub par gear item because your “clothes” is not an optimum way to view this- “Gear fits around how you shoot, you do not shoot around your gear”.
The thought process here isn’t about a bino pouch, it’s about what someone needs for the best performance. This is what someone needs one their body, that doesn’t get left behind ever. Despite what every person who swears to me that they never drop their pack or leave it behind for “just a short stalk”, I have watched all of them- including myself- at some point have to walk back a ways to get their pack.

On body-

1. binos with quick access and protection.

2). Spare magazine or ammunition quickly accessible.

3). Headlamp or flashlight

4). Knife

5). GPS or InReach.

6). Lens cloth

7). Emergency kit in case of injury or getting lost- compass, small map, fire starter, TQ, emergency blanket, pen light, snickers, Etc.

8). Most would want chapstick, etc

9). Potentially a pistol

With that list and the fact that those things should be in something that never gets left behind, the bino pouch is the most functional place for it. If you grab your rifle, you grab your bino pouch. And you should never leave your rifle.

So, if that needs to be on our body, and the bino pouch is the best place for it, this is what the pouch should do-

1). Hold bino securely with quick access and good protection.

2). Hold spare magazine/ammo in the best spot for a quick reload (weak side of bino).

3). Have pouch for headlamp, emergency kit, etc., on strong side, front, or bottom.

4). Have place for mounting or holding GPS/inteach

5). Have small pockets for lens cloth, chapstick, etc.

6). Be functional as a rear bag for shooting.

7). Have a means for carrying a pistol is required.

7). The harness should hold all of that at chest to high chest level- not sag. It’s a chest pouch, not a stomach pouch. The harness should do that while being stable and not riding up on the back of your neck.

Designed correctly, breathability isn’t that effected, and it certainly doesn’t matter more than the massive pack on your back.

If all you want is something to hold binos, the RYO bungies are great. But they are a one trick pony. I used them for two years and in western spot and stalk hunting it was a heavy concession with no upside. I ended up having to use a HPG chest pouch under them because digging through a pack while trying to get an animal down, or trying to find the pack that was left “just over there” in the dark without a flashlight, or trying to light a stove but the pack is outside, etc., etc., sucked.

This 100% makes sense, and is why I feel like the balance is hard to strike, for myself. For some context, I'm not a very big guy (which means most bino harnesses cover a fair bit of area for me), and am quite a heavy sweater. As I've experimented over the years, it seems like the biggest thing that helps me stay warm is getting to the top of the hill with minimum perspiration.

I've simply moved to keeping things in pants pockets and hip belt pouches, and as much as possible never dropping my pack. As you point out, this has some real downsides, but for me has been the lesser of the 2 evils.

I'm not saying bino harnesses are a bad thing, because I have wished for some of the features of my AGC I used to use, but I just feel like I have issues with them that few ever talk about. And the issues with the RYO cover are real, for sure.

I enjoy these discussions, they usually wind up refining the way I do things.

Edit to add- The point of one's pack covering a large area is real. I actually took a midweight fleece, cut the back out of it, and replaced it with mesh for this reason. It works well, but admittedly as I have gotten better layering pieces it hadn't gotten that much use.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Hunting is not combat. There really isn’t that much that requires quick access (IMO). And, you probably have a pack. Then, you have a large number who pack large glass spotters and spend the bulk of time glassing. I don’t see any need for a “chest rig” if spending significant time glassing. If it is really important it will be in my pack.

Show me the use case for a chest rig. I am open to ideas. Form, just saw your post. If you want all that accessible, that’s fine. I don’t see a need for most of that to be on my chest.
I have never carried a pistol. I don’t need extra mags immediately available, or a knife, headlamp, emergency kit, chapstick, any more available than they are in a pack lid or pocket.

My bino harness has binos, rangefinder, my phone, a small cow call, and a lens cloth. And that amount bugs me, but will concede I want it readily accessible. I truly dislike having it on my chest. All that extra stuff, no chance.

edit: on the waist belt of pack I have a small pocket that will have an extra mag (Tikka) and a compass is tied in on a lanyard so it’s never lost.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
it seems like the biggest thing that helps me stay warm is getting to the top of the hill with minimum perspiration.

Me as well.
It seems that people want to wear base layers, fleece, some version of a softshell or wind break, etc. on top even while moving with a pack. That is a very poor way to go.

When I am moving, unless very cold (single digits or low teens) it’s just a t-shirt and a thin wind shirt. My arms get a little cold, but the only thing the wets out is my back under the pack and some under the chest pouch. If it is really cold I use the Aclima Woolnet mesh base layer- why I went to it to begin with. Them when I stop for shot periods, puff jacket goes on over top. If stopping to glass, the top s come off, base layer goes on skin, t shirt goes on top of that unless totally soaked, then some version of a mid layer, then a puffy last.

I've simply moved to keeping things in pants pockets and hip belt pouches, and as much as possible never dropping my pack. As you point out, this has some real downsides, but for me has been the lesser of the 2 evils.

The pants pocket thing I can’t do except for one spare magazine and the phone. Items fall out if pockets aren’t secured completely and they tend to get broken crawling or dropping down prone quickly. Also it’s just annoying having items flopping and swishing in pockets.

I'm not saying bino harnesses are a bad thing, because I have wished for some of the features of my AGC I used to use, but I just feel like I have issues with them that few ever talk about. And the issues with the RYO cover are real, for sure.

Again, I’m not saying anyone should do what I wrote. What I wrote is the result of seeing a large number of people hunting, the issues that they/we had, and the best solutions that have come out of it.

Edit to add- The point of one's pack covering a large area is real. I actually took a midweight fleece, cut the back out of it, and replaced it with mesh for this reason.

That’s how every “active” jacket should be for western hunting. It’s another thing like proper stock design that is silently not done because of how it looks.