New SG bino harness is on the way ...

As a bowhunter, I’m not having a Beverly Hillbilly’s truck look protruding outward from my chest. My Marsupial bino harness offers full protection, perfect fit of the binos with zero wasted space and minimal bulk. Also decided to go with thier rangefinder pouch, because it also is minimali bulk, perfect fit on the side, and requires less movement/motion to retrieve than on the belt or pants pocket.

I took a hill people gear bino harness and used the molle attatchments to put it on my hip belt of my mystery ranch pack for a spring season. I liked having my chest free of the harness, it breathes better and is a cleaner draw to a kenai chest holster.
I did struggle with muscle memory of wanting to go to my chest to quick grab binos or a range finder.

Ultimately I went back to running the chest rig and kenai underneath.

Pistol chest rigs are also great for mobility but can be slow if your subconscious looks for a pistol on your hip.

For what it's worth I've only ever had the AK bino harness.

Me as well.
It seems that people want to wear base layers, fleece, some version of a softshell or wind break, etc. on top even while moving with a pack. That is a very poor way to go.

When I am moving, unless very cold (single digits or low teens) it’s just a t-shirt and a thin wind shirt. My arms get a little cold, but the only thing the wets out is my back under the pack and some under the chest pouch. If it is really cold I use the Aclima Woolnet mesh base layer- why I went to it to begin with. Them when I stop for shot periods, puff jacket goes on over top. If stopping to glass, the top s come off, base layer goes on skin, t shirt goes on top of that unless totally soaked, then some version of a mid layer, then a puffy last.

Snip*
In mountaineering we say “be bold, start cold” for this exact reason. If you’re warm at the very start, you’ll be sweating buckets in short order. Unless it is single digits or blowing snow, I’ve done well with a thin base layer and a grid fleece of some sort for the hike in.

In any case, are they really 0.1% situations?
0.1% is 1 in 1000 I believe. Do you believe 1 in 1000 hunters in the west have had to sleep out without their pack? I definitely don’t. 1 in 1000 hunters need to take a break during a stalk because their lips are bleeding so bad?

Or is it more likely that those situations could happen frequently but due to how people hunt or their skill/knowledge they don’t see the opportunities?
Or maybe because of lack of skill/knowledge some hunters put themselves in 0.1% situations?

For the last decade I have averaged around 150 days or more per year actively hunting and between 20 and 40 big game animals a year. Those days do not include shooting, scouting, camping, etc.
Anyone that has been on here for any length of time has read your resume multiple times. Doesn’t tell me much about actual hunting skill. 99% of what you post picture wise is a body shot. If you killed multiple mature bucks/bulls every year I would definitely put more weight in what you say about actual hunting. Filling tags isn’t hard. Filling tags on mature animals is hard.

Because it happens, and at least for myself and some of the people I am around, they can make shots without a pack or rest.
Seems like a bad decision to leave your rest if it turns into a chase that ends with sleeping out without a pack.

0.1% is 1 in 1000 I believe. Do you believe 1 in 1000 hunters in the west have had to sleep out without their pack?

Once again, as I stated- that is a rare occurrence. The rest, not so much.

I definitely don’t. 1 in 1000 hunters need to take a break during a stalk because their lips are bleeding so bad?

No, bleeding would be extreme for most. Stopping to get their chapstick or borrowing it because their lips are chapped bad enough- happens frequently. Do you not hunt in Nov/dec/jan when it’s actually winter and cold in the mountains?

Or maybe because of lack of skill/knowledge some hunters put themselves in 0.1% situations?

Sure.

Anyone that has been on here for any length of time has read your resume multiple times.

Please do quote my resume that I have posted on here.

Doesn’t tell me much about actual hunting skill.

Again please quote anything I have written about my hunting skill.

99% of what you post picture wise is a body shot. If you killed multiple mature bucks/bulls every year I would definitely put more weight in what you say about actual hunting. Filling tags isn’t hard. Filling tags on mature animals is hard.

Neat. There’s a whole world of influencers and road hunters that kill “mature bucks and bulls every year” that you can take their hunting skill more seriously.

I nearly always stick to objective, technical discussions- I don’t care about how awesome a trophy hunter you or anyone else is.

Seems like a bad decision to leave your rest if it turns into a chase that ends with sleeping out without a pack.

Yep. And bad decisions are made- that’s the whole point. It’s an example that I used for “why” something might done a certain way.

Because it’s relevant, again- how many days a year do you hunt late season/truly cold weather? How many game animals on average per year do you kill, or directly see killed by others each year using rifles?

Last edited:
For me the one pack type thing that is always on me is my bino harness. Have I been in a situation where it saved my life, no. But it’s damn handy to have the stuff your really need on your body no matter what (even when Mother Nature calls). Maybe it’s just my version of a security blanket but I definitely prefer to have a good bino harness with a few important to me items in it at all times.

Looking forward to seeing the stone glacier pack in person. Hopefully it’s a solid option

I’m not going to go back and forth. You mentioned some things I thought were extreme situations that I’ve never seen happen before. Which I commented on. (I definitely could have skipped the word ‘amazing’)

You respond, I respond, you respond, on and on and on. You won’t change my opinion which is based on my experiences and I won’t change yours which are based on your experiences.

Ok you can have a break.

I’m not going to go back and forth. You mentioned some things I thought were extreme situations that I’ve never seen happen before. Which I commented on. (I definitely could have skipped the word ‘amazing’)

You respond, I respond, you respond, on and on and on.

You actually never, or almost never answer the direct questions that are asked. You make snarky comments that hold very little objectivity, and you avoid any information that you don’t like.
You say it’s “extreme”? Well that would depend on use- if you are primarily an archery hunter, or hunt ID or first season Colorado for elk and deer, then your conditions are mild comparatively. If you average one week a year hunting late season rifle, then a single season of experiences for me, is 5-6 seasons for you. Likewise, if you average an animal every year or two with rifle, my single season is 20-40 years of experience for you.

Unlike “trophies” that have nothing to do with how likely something is, time spent in certain environments greatly take “extreme .1% situations”, to something more like “every year or two”.

It’s the internet. Everyone’s passionate about everything.
I was picturing this conversation among a bunch of people in person, made me laugh a little

I guess it’s because emotion and demeanor don’t come out in text so everything has to be over emphasized in text

Well, I for one am interested, but not for the reasons you guys are. I live and hunt in Tennessee, 57 yrs. old and still hunt from a tree stand (Summit Viper) I hate, and when I say hate, I hate having to put a backpack in my stand when Im walking. I hate, with the same hate, a fanny pack type deal because then the stand on my back is riding on top of the fanny and pushing it down. Right now on my chest rig, I have my binos, range finder, a extra knife on shoulder chest strap, and trying to figure out where to hang other stuff lol I hate having stuff in my pockets swishing around, like my other knife, phone, gutting gloves, ( cause we have to drag our animals back out or least till we can get to a four wheeler, we cant cut and quarter out our deer) so all that stuff is either strapped to the stand, or I have to tie down my day pack to the stand. But I still need a place for my folding saw, (for climbing trees and cutting bone if needed) and food and water, for an all day sit. Ive been trying to make my chest rig kind of like this, If it has room for a folding saw, pruning shears etc, I think it will be perfect for me lol

Are there any more pics of the harness besides the ig screengrab earlier in the thread?

I hope they change the rangefinder holder to remove the noisy velcro. Im curious to see the bigger pocket in the picture too. I added a kuiu phoneholder to my SG harness which has worked well.

off the home page - this looks to be a lot of the new stuff, mag/kestrel holder, larger pocket on another photo, bottom pocket now, beefier harness.

1705349276793.png

Back